Questioning PBL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjc199

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I got into LECOM-Erie and am hoping to hear from Bradenton soon. Living in Florida (now that my girlfriend has put us on a break for stupid reasons) I feel that I really owe it to myself to go to Bradenton. However, I'm a bit nervous about the PBL program.Any LECOM-Bradenton students out there? It's so tempting...but at the same time, I don't want to make med school harder on me than it already is...I'm going to have a rough time to begin with.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't even apply to LECOM-Bradenton b/c of the complete PBL. From what I hear from my friends already in med school (not LECOM)...PBL stinks. You're given a case study and you work in groups. Instead of having formal lecture, you're basically trying to solve a puzzle altogether . This method may be good for you but I knew that this wouldn't work for me. Just my 2cents. :)

PBL does take some getting used to, but it is a great way to learn medicine. I am assuming that PBL in Bradenton is similar to the way we do it at OUCOM, and I love it here. If you want to read a little about it check out this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an MS-1 at LECOM Bradenton and from the little bit of PBL we have done so far, I love it. Its fun and a great way to learn the basic sciences. I guess it is kind of like a puzzle, but not really. You dont really "solve" the case, but learn the basic sciences invloved with the case as you go on and get a diagnosis at the end. The facilitators are all great and will keep you on a great path to finishing the case within a reasonable amount of time, and will make sure you have the right learning objectives at the end of the case. Over the 2 years in PBL, you will have gone over everything that the regular pathways go over, but twice. Each case is set up with a few set learning objectives in mind, you take them and add the rest, and everything will be covered. You take anatomy first to lay a decent foundation of the workings of the human body and then all of the PBL cases supplement that anatomy and give you all of the other sciences to understanding the working mechanism of the body.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Ryan

All one has to do is look at the board pass rates for LECOM PBL. 98.7%, much higher than the lecture pathway. I am also a student at LECOM-Bradenton. It's great learning medicine in a clinical context.