School Learning Styles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm_a_dogtor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of information on whether a school has didatics, TBL, and PBL and I'm wondering what the major differences are between each of them and what it is actually like to learn through these styles. What schools use all three vs only one?

Members don't see this ad.

Google is your friend.
So I have tried googling and have had some difficulty finding exactly what I am wanting to know.
For example, I know that didatics is like lecture based, and team based learning vs problem based learning but what does this mean? Don't all of them have a lecture component?

Maybe I'm googling the wrong thing??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I'll bite.

TBL is anti-lecture. You get material ahead of time and study it independently.

then, with your team, you work on whatever assessment the faculty have for you. The current definition of this is you take an exam or quiz by yourself, and then collectively with your tema.

By teaching each other to get to the correct answer, your retention of the material is better. There's data for this and that's why this is the hot new thing in medical education. U VM has done away completely with lectures, and Wright State is very close to doing so as well.

Didactic lecture is like what you have in UG. The "sage on the stage" treats you as a vessel to fill up with info. This is typical passive learning,a nd there are better ways to do it.

PBL is more nuanced. And more labor intensive for faculty.
check out:

Problem-based learning in medical school: A student's perspective

Reactions: 1 user
OK, I'll bite.

TBL is anti-lecture. You get material ahead of time and study it independently.

then, with your team, you work on whatever assessment the faculty have for you. The current definition of this is you take an exam or quiz by yourself, and then collectively with your tema.

By teaching each other to get to the correct answer, your retention of the material is better. There's data for this and that's why this is the hot new thing in medical education. U VM has done away completely with lectures, and Wright State is very close to doing so as well.

Didactic lecture is like what you have in UG. The "sage on the stage" treats you as a vessel to fill up with info. This is typical passive learning,a nd there are better ways to do it.

PBL is more nuanced. And more labor intensive for faculty.
check out:

Problem-based learning in medical school: A student's perspective

BMA - Course and teaching types

British site, but the info applies here, I think. (Note: TBL is the same thing as CBL.)

Thank you both so much!!! I was really curious and definitely want to find a school that is going to best match with my preferred learning style!