Questions about 2009 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engineer2MD

yes I'm crazy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I'm applying for Fall 2009 this spring. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can answer! I'm having trouble finding anything on the AMCAS website. It's not very helpful. I signed up for 2008 just to look at the application, and it's still not very informative.

1. If I haven't taken a required course yet, is there a place on the application to say that I WILL take it? For example, when I took my 2 chemistry courses, the second one didn't have a lab. I need to run down to the community college and take it, but it will be this summer before I can.

2. Is the application picky about course titles? When I took my physics courses for my engineering degree, the classes were taught from the physics department, but were titled "Engineering Physics". The only difference between "Engineering Physics" and "Physics" was that "Engineering Physics" was calculus-based. How do they handle that?

3. If my name has changed since I did my under-grad (marriage) is that going to be a big paperwork hang up?

4. I want to submit my application by July 1 for EDP. But, I can't take the MCAT until May 27. If I don't have the score back yet, can I submit it? Also, if I press "submit" by July 1, does that count for my school's deadline, or is there a verification process that holds it up? How long does that take?

Thanks!
Tracia

Members don't see this ad.

I can answer the first question. You can enter a class you haven't taken yet on the AMCAS and label it as "Current/Future" so schools know you will take it.

As far as the titles of courses go, I recommend getting a transcript from your school (either official or unofficial), and it should have the university official course names along with the course number, credit hours, etc. Just use that to enter the information on the AMCAS transcript. AMCAS will fix any discrepancies and calculate the overall and science GPA for you. Not too sure how Engineering Physics is qualified though... sorry.

1. Yes, there is space. You just mark a course as "future/planned". This only matters for REQUIRED courses, they won't hold you specifically to other courses you put down. Again, only REQUIRED courses matter if you will take it in the future.

2. Course titles play a bit of a role, but physics is physics, regardless of what title it is. However, there's a bit of a grey area when you start talking about psych courses that are mostly math, etc... They'll change it if they think it's something different. Note: I'm talking about when courses are going to be BCPM or not. Title the courses exactly as they appear on your transcript.

3) Not sure. You should call AMCAS and ask. Presumably, it shouldn't be that much trouble as the only thing you'll need to send in with your name is your transcripts. The name change should be accurately reflected there and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

4) You can submit your AMCAS app without your MCAT score. It will be automatically loaded on AMCAS when the scores are released. Deadlines are counted on the date the application is submitted, not when it is verified, though around that time, the turnaround is 2 weeks (I submitted July 2nd).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, all,

I'm applying for Fall 2009 this spring. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can answer! I'm having trouble finding anything on the AMCAS website. It's not very helpful. I signed up for 2008 just to look at the application, and it's still not very informative.

1. If I haven't taken a required course yet, is there a place on the application to say that I WILL take it? For example, when I took my 2 chemistry courses, the second one didn't have a lab. I need to run down to the community college and take it, but it will be this summer before I can.

Depends on the specific school you are applying to. Check with them. For most I think you will be taking the lab this summer.

2. Is the application picky about course titles? When I took my physics courses for my engineering degree, the classes were taught from the physics department, but were titled "Engineering Physics". The only difference between "Engineering Physics" and "Physics" was that "Engineering Physics" was calculus-based. How do they handle that?

That's fine, I am an engineer and my class was the same. Hopefully you took two semesters of lab though.

3. If my name has changed since I did my under-grad (marriage) is that going to be a big paperwork hang up?

No problem, I think there are a few fields in the form that address this.

4. I want to submit my application by July 1 for EDP. But, I can't take the MCAT until May 27. If I don't have the score back yet, can I submit it? Also, if I press "submit" by July 1, does that count for my school's deadline, or is there a verification process that holds it up? How long does that take?

Yes you can they will just hold it until the scores are published. Also I would reccomend getting your LOR's done ASAP. that can be another sticking point in the process.

Thanks!
Tracia

Good Luck

1) Dendrite did a good job with this one.

2) I did engineering physics and it's never been a problem for me.

3) I think there's a spot where you enter all other names used, which should take care of things. I didn't use it myself, and AMCAS is currently in the midst of system maintenance, so I can't check for sure, but I'm fairly certain it's there.

4) I believe scores don't take as long to come back now that the test is computer based, so I think you'll have your scores back by July 1st for a May exam. There is a verification process that takes a few weeks (I believe the norm is 3-4 weeks, maybe shorter that early in the season). I imagine that you would need to be verified by July 1st in order to make the deadline, but that might be something to ask the school directly.

Everyone has answered the other questions for you, so I'll focus on #3. There are lots of students who have name changes who eventually apply for medical school. Your case is certainly not unique, and really should not cause any problems. If I recall correctly, the AMCAS has a section where you can list other names that you've used (e.g., Joan Smith in the past now Joan Sanders).