questions about AOA

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by veenut, Nov 15, 2005.

1. veenut

10+ Year Member

hey, just had a question about AOA...does the same percentage of students from each school get selected for it, or does it vary from school to school? and about how many students are AOA from a given class?

2. Radiohead

Radiohead Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes there are certain criteria set forth by the "national" AOA organization. They are:
    -No more than the top 25% of the class may be nominated for AOA
    -No more than 1/6 of the class may be elected
    Thus, a selection committee goes through all nomimated applications and selects those who get elected.

Now you may be elected to AOA in your junior or senior year. Up until this year my school allowed 7 to be elected as juniors and 23 to be subsequently elected as seniors. Apparently, being elected as a junior is a bit more prestigious than the latter. My school has 180 studs/class, so 7+23=30 which is 1/6 of 180. Next year, we will be electing 15 juniors/15 seniors. The rule of how many juniors/seniors depends on which school you go to. Some schools only take seniors.

I hope this helps.
    RH

3. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Any idea of how it works with a P/F system?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    The above is correct but each chapter has rules that are specific for that chapter too. My chapter does not allow more than 2 students to be elected junior year (most years it is one) and no more than 10 senior year (some years like my year, it was only five and I was lucky). The criteria for selection are also up to the individual chapter but scholarship and leadership are built into the equation. Members of the chapter select from eligible candidates submitted by the Dean of Academics but it take more than academics too.

njbmd :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it was my understanding that most schools keep track of rank, even if they tell you that they don't. it may just be pass/fail to the students knowledge, but they probably have been keeping a running total on how each student has done compared to others based off from raw score and percentage. but i am only repeating what i have been told, not sure if it's true.

6. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay, thanks, that makes sense. We are on a P/F system, but we do get scores on the exams ... we just don't find out how we did relative to other people.

7. yellowcat322

yellowcat322 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes it's true. I'm in a P/F school and the deans just told us after the last set of exams that the only time our scores are actually going to be looked at is for AOA status. I really wish that P/F schools would make this clear in the beginning of the year. I understand that they are reluctant to do that because they whole point of P/F is to eliminate competition for grades, but I feel that students should be informed by their school if their grades are going to count for anything.

8. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Okay since we go to the same school this is what I've been told. Some time in 4th year they look at a histogram of your test performance for the past 3 years, evals, and board score. They use some magic formal to weight things differently and I've been told that 3rd year grades (ie shelf exam, in house exam, and clinical evals) are weighted the most. They just announced who is AOA in the 4th year class just about 4 weeks ago, just in time to put on there residency application.

9. ear-ache

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Our school also takes into account: med school grades, board scores (both Step 1 and Step 2 if taken), research (esp. if published), extracurriculars, and community service.

Basically, they are looking for 'well rounded' students.

10. medgator

medgator Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is a political component to it... at least where I attended medical school. Faculty who are already in AOA vote on the nominees that actually get in. Impress the right people, and you're golden.

11. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I go to a P/F school that doesn't rank us (exams are taken anonymously - yeah, that school). AOA is determined by nominations and elections from faculty members and is only handed out after the Match. Weird, I know.

12. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ooh, you go to Yale, then, don't you!! I loved your anatomy lab when I interviewed - especially those robotic arms with the flatscreens. :D.

Okay, now back to the regularly scheduled thread topic.

Q