Questions about AUA and Curriculum Next? Ask Me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUACNMed

Reaction score
Hi there- I am a current student (3rd semester) at AUA College of Medicine and part of their new Curriculum Next rollout. There have been some inaccurate statements made around various forums regarding AUA and its new curriculum, so I am here to give you a real perspective on the school and curriculum rollout. In a nutshell, we have transitioned to a new style of curriculum, focusing on small group and case studies, rather than didactic lecture. This is meant to foster a more collaborative working environment with students and faculty, and develop the curriculum which reflects how many US medical schools are educating their students. As with all change, there are bumps and hiccups, and the school has experienced its own. They are working very hard to learn from the challenges of the last year, remedy what needs to be remedied, and continue to promote and improve upon the successes of the first year. Many students, including myself, love the new system and are flourishing in it. Sometimes the school gets an unfair review of the new curriculum for a variety of reasons, but I wanted to provide an unbiased place for students to ask questions. I will give you the positives and the challenges of my experience for you to make your own decision, but in short, I love how the school is moving and wouldn't go back to an old style for anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Questions:

1. Are you sure you aren't a paid administrator of AUA?
2. How many students do you enroll at the beginning of the first year and how many students graduate with a residency from AUA each year?
3. What is your attrition rate?
4. What percentage of your students fail the school administrated practice USMLE and are unable to graduate second year and begin rotations?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This stinks of sockpuppetry.

170px-MrSock.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi there- I am a current student (3rd semester) at AUA College of Medicine and part of their new Curriculum Next rollout. There have been some inaccurate statements made around various forums regarding AUA and its new curriculum, so I am here to give you a real perspective on the school and curriculum rollout. In a nutshell, we have transitioned to a new style of curriculum, focusing on small group and case studies, rather than didactic lecture. This is meant to foster a more collaborative working environment with students and faculty, and develop the curriculum which reflects how many US medical schools are educating their students. As with all change, there are bumps and hiccups, and the school has experienced its own. They are working very hard to learn from the challenges of the last year, remedy what needs to be remedied, and continue to promote and improve upon the successes of the first year. Many students, including myself, love the new system and are flourishing in it. Sometimes the school gets an unfair review of the new curriculum for a variety of reasons, but I wanted to provide an unbiased place for students to ask questions. I will give you the positives and the challenges of my experience for you to make your own decision, but in short, I love how the school is moving and wouldn't go back to an old style for anything.
Did you end up bringing back lectures? What was the spring attrition rate?

Questions:

1. Are you sure you aren't a paid administrator of AUA?
2. How many students do you enroll at the beginning of the first year and how many students graduate with a residency from AUA each year?
3. What is your attrition rate?
4. What percentage of your students fail the school administrated practice USMLE and are unable to graduate the second year and begin rotations?

You do realize that all medical schools have an intake in the hundreds. Additionally, no medical student, anywhere, is guaranteed a residency. Everyone competes in the Match for a specialty of their choice. Your competitive edge is based (mainly) on your USMLE scores. People tend to forget that Doctor of Medicine is a DOCTORATE - there are no shortcuts. You have to work hard regardless of what medical school you go to, Caribbean or NOT.

Historically, students who go to international medical programs are the ones who are looking for a second chance at pursuing their goal to become a physician, especially considering how high the competition is for local schools. Common reasons: lower GPA, poor MCAT, age, etc. So, the attrition rate is important, yes, but always consider the caliber of students entering the program.

It is always good to question but also do your due diligence and research the program to plan to attend. Bad mouthing doesn't help anyone.

You do realize that all medical schools have an intake in the hundreds.

Typical Carribean talking points/LARPer. I stopped taking your post seriously when you said that "all medical schools have an intake in the hundreds" and when I found out that you've had the account since 2016 and this was the only post you've made so far. While US MD schools take in "hundreds of students" you know what they also do? They graduate those students at or around a 95% rate. What's the graduation rate of a Caribbean school? 50%? If a US MD school had a graduation rate at that number they would be sued and shut down so fast.

The important distinction for somebody who is considering the Caribbean is that they take in excessive students because they have made the calculations for x number of students to FAIL out before rotations start. After you pay up, the Carribean is not going to help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Typical Carribean talking points/LARPer. I stopped taking your post seriously when you said that "all medical schools have an intake in the hundreds" and when I found out that you've had the account since 2016 and this was the only post you've made so far. While US MD schools take in "hundreds of students" you know what they also do? They graduate those students at or around a 95% rate. What's the graduation rate of a Caribbean school? 50%? **This is not TRUE** If a US MD school had a graduation rate at that number they would be sued and shut down so fast.

The important distinction for somebody who is considering the Caribbean is that they take in excessive students because they have made the calculations for x number of students to FAIL out before rotations start. After you pay up, the Carribean is not going to help you.

Again, bad mouthing and spreading misinformation does not help anyone.

In fact, the Caribbean (and International) Medical Schools that are US-modeled, are under continuous scrutiny by the ECFMG (Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) in the United States and CAAM-HP (Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions) to follow and abide by the standards set by the US Department of Education (hence only accredited medical schools are able to offer US federal student loans).

So, you are absolutely right that schools that do not conform to these standards have been shut down and by definition are NOT ACCREDITED.

Medical School is difficult everywhere. Anyone looking for a shortcut through medical school is delusional. Students are dismissed from ANY program because they fail. No one has ever come across a student who has successfully completed each course and completed their board exams to have not entered clinical rotations, it is NOT possible.

Again, bad mouthing and spreading misinformation does not help anyone.

In fact, the Caribbean (and International) Medical Schools that are US-modeled, are under continuous scrutiny by the ECFMG (Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) in the United States and CAAM-HP (Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions) to follow and abide by the standards set by the US Department of Education (hence only accredited medical schools are able to offer US federal student loans).

So, you are absolutely right that schools that do not conform to these standards have been shut down and by definition are NOT ACCREDITED.

Medical School is difficult everywhere. Anyone looking for a shortcut through medical school is delusional. Students are dismissed from ANY program because they fail. No one has ever come across a student who has successfully completed each course and completed their board exams to have not entered clinical rotations, it is NOT possible.

Of the people that start school and
Drop out along the way I’m sure it’s right about 50%, the onus is on you to prove me wrong with statistics now

This thread reminds me of a funny line from Scrubs (when JD is filming an Ob/Gyn deliver a baby): "It's a bouncing baby boy! Yet another soldier in the fight against communism!"

Reactions: 1 user
Conflation of CAAM accreditation and actual US accreditation by the LCME or COCA does nothing for your argument.

This thread reminds me of a funny line from Scrubs (when JD is filming an Ob/Gyn deliver a baby): "It's a bouncing baby boy! Yet another soldier in the fight against communism!"