MD & DO Questions about Flipped Classroom Model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rei02sDinnerParty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm an incoming M1 at Drexel and wanted to ask if any current students have any strongly held feelings about the effectiveness of the new foundations and frontiers curriculum (Medical School Curriculum - College of Medicine). I checked out the following video (IL_Video.mp4 - Drexel Streams) which sort of gave me a sense for how it's run. It looks very "cutting edge" but it also seems like a big adjustment from the traditional recorded lecture format. I feel like it was only in the last year I've figured out how to digest and tackle lectures to do well on tests but i'm afraid of reinventing the wheel in this new format. And obviously this does not even touch on the time aspect of the new curriculum wherein there are mandatory pbl sessions.

Insights welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Flipped classroom, PBL, TBL, all of these new fads are the worst thing ever. Just let me sit at home and do my flashcards in peace, thanks.

Reactions: 17 users
Nice in concept but not when we're trying to drink out of the informational firehose to prepare for an exam.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Flipped classroom, PBL, TBL, all of these new fads are the worst thing ever. Just let me sit at home and do my flashcards in peace, thanks.

Nice in concept but not when we're trying to drink out of the informational firehose to prepare for an exam.

So is it mainly the time aspect of things that is the main downside to this format? unfortunately this is my only MD acceptance so I'm trying to see the bright side here guys... ;__;

Reactions: 1 users
So is it mainly the time aspect of things that is the main downside to this format? unfortunately this is my only MD acceptance so I'm trying to see the bright side here guys... ;__;

The bright side is that I felt like I usually did learn the material pretty well when we had PBL sessions. The downside is that it was really inefficient for me. It takes a lot of time and also mental energy, and I don't think the tradeoff is worth it.

Who knows, maybe you'll be one of those people for whom they work - don't let us drag you down with our saltiness before you even give it a chance. Either way, you'll figure out a way to get through and it'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
As an alumnus, what is this dumb **** that they've transitioned to? Traditional lecture style learning worked just fine for me, thanks. Yeah, we had an option to be part of PBL if you wanted to, but you didn't HAVE to. It appears from the website that the only thing that will be offered is this new "foundations" bit that looks like a ****ty mish-mash of lecture-based and PBL-based.

Reactions: 3 users

preach.

OP- I would chose a different school if you still have the chance. Otherwise prepare yourself to waste time listening to a few people in your class who like to hear their own voice.

Reactions: 2 users
preach.

OP- I would chose a different school if you still have the chance. Otherwise prepare yourself to waste time listening to a few people in your class who like to hear their own voice.

I have no other choice ;___;

On the plus side, there is a decent chunk of data showing that the flipped model/TBL helps you retain info longer. No required lectures either.

The downside is that on Monday I give you this:
4068392-big-stack-of-papers-documents-.jpg

And on Friday, you do the TBL. It puts more onus on you as a self-studier, and does handicap those people who need/like lectures as their first pass.

On the minus side for me, well, I'm a dinosaur, I LIKE lecturing! But TBL turns us into babysitters while you do all the work. I just stand around and occasionally throw in some bon mots into a conversation.

Our students seem to be OK with it, and avg. class grades have gone up. We'll see how it affect COMLEX and USMLE for the first time this year.

At U VM, the entire curriculum is TBL now. No lectures!

I didn’t go to the school you’re going to but I did just glance at their curriculum and.... We had a similar situation at our school. (A lot of mandatory stuff and case based learning, PBL or whatever you wanna call it)

After finishing the first 2 years I can say that obviously there are pros and cons to everything... but I actually enjoyed discussing/working through the cases with my classmates during second year. I feel like it definitely helped me look at things in a more cohesive way.
(First year we had additional requirements that I thought were a huge waste of time.)

I guess I’m just commenting to say there might be certain aspects that you might enjoy. It might not be as terrible as you think.
However,at times you will wish that they would leave you alone so you can just watch videos in bed.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
On the plus side, there is a decent chunk of data showing that the flipped model/TBL helps you retain info longer. No required lectures either.

The downside is that on Monday I give you this:
4068392-big-stack-of-papers-documents-.jpg

And on Friday, you do the TBL. It puts more onus on you as a self-studier, and does handicap those people who need/like lectures as their first pass.

On the minus side for me, well, I'm a dinosaur, I LIKE lecturing! But TBL turns us into babysitters while you do all the work. I just stand around and occasionally throw in some bon mots into a conversation.

Our students seem to be OK with it, and avg. class grades have gone up. We'll see how it affect COMLEX and USMLE for the first time this year.

At U VM, the entire curriculum is TBL now. No lectures!
Boonshoft also does not do any lectures anymore. One of the reasons I turned down this acceptance in favor of my top choice DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
As an alumnus, what is this dumb **** that they've transitioned to? Traditional lecture style learning worked just fine for me, thanks. Yeah, we had an option to be part of PBL if you wanted to, but you didn't HAVE to. It appears from the website that the only thing that will be offered is this new "foundations" bit that looks like a ****ty mish-mash of lecture-based and PBL-based.

IFM and PIL are dead. They seemed to have pulled more from the PIL format than IFM.

The now MS2’s complained a lot at the beginning of last year, but that seems to have died out a lot.

I didn’t want to do PBL at all, which is why I went IFM. My classmates in PIL absolutely loved it, though. You get used to it.

You’re gonna be a doctor!

I was apprehensive before starting too.

My school has mostly traditional lectures with some PBL sessions. How useful PBL is really depends on the small group you're in and the participation of your faculty moderator. Lectures are nice but may or may not be board pertinent. You could always buy boards and beyond + pathoma and use that as first pass lectures for topics if you feel the need to mix in some more traditional lectures.

Personally I think PBL is a pretty inefficient way of learning because the discussion isn’t standardized and you need lots of facilitators and committed students for it to work well.

We have a pbl component at my school and when you have a good group & leader it’s amazing. Bad group and leader and it’s decidedly worse than no pbl at all

Unless something has changed in the last ~1-2 years, a lot of the research on flipped classrooms is inconsistent at best. In addition much of the evidence that it is effective is from studies of grade school or undergrad students. This is not the same population as medical students.

I personally think its implementation in medical schools is just the next thing administrators and "academics" are using to justify their bloated existence. My $0.02.