Questions about getting a job in a pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OKgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply as a pharmacy clerk sometime soon. I just am unsure of when to apply because of all the time I will need off.

I am still in high school and I will be graduating in May, so I will need a Friday night off. I am going on a family vacation sometime over the summer (hopefully right after graduation and will need ~5 days off). I will also be attending college classes 2 days a week over the summer.

I'd really like to start applying this month so that I won't have to compete with all the other people applying for the summer. I am hoping to work weekends during the school year and then I will be able to work afternoons or evenings during the summer. I'm really unsure of how things like this work because I've never had to worry about scheduling problems at my current job. Do you think that asking for so much time off will be a problem? Is this something I should metion when applying or would I mention it right after being hired? Should I wait to apply until I am done with HS and vacation?

Do I need to have a resume in addition to filling out the application even though they both have the same information?

Any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to apply as a pharmacy clerk sometime soon. I just am unsure of when to apply because of all the time I will need off.

I am still in high school and I will be graduating in May, so I will need a Friday night off. I am going on a family vacation sometime over the summer (hopefully right after graduation and will need ~5 days off). I will also be attending college classes 2 days a week over the summer.

I'd really like to start applying this month so that I won't have to compete with all the other people applying for the summer. I am hoping to work weekends during the school year and then I will be able to work afternoons or evenings during the summer. I'm really unsure of how things like this work because I've never had to worry about scheduling problems at my current job. Do you think that asking for so much time off will be a problem? Is this something I should metion when applying or would I mention it right after being hired? Should I wait to apply until I am done with HS and vacation?

Do I need to have a resume in addition to filling out the application even though they both have the same information?

Any advice would be great!

Getting a Friday off for your graduation probably isn't going to be a problem. ;-)

As far as the week during the summer, it's beneficial to let the hiring manager know that you have a family obligation out of state. The hiring manager will most likely understand that you are still young and subject to certain family expectations, and will appreciate knowing about it up front. You can bring it up in terms of "I want to be up-front about this; I am expected to attend a family function out of state during X____X. Will it be a problem for me to be left off the schedule for that week?"

As far as scheduling for the summer, almost any place you'd be working can (and should) be willing to write your schedule around your classes. It's easiest if you have a regular schedule, that won't be changing every week, so the person writing the schedule will always know that you need, for example, Tuesday and Thursday evenings off.