Questions about interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash5321

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a couple interviews coming up. One this Friday. I'm very excited, but nervous because this will be my first interview. I found another forum about this, but it is quite old so I thought I would start a new one.

Anyways, can anyone give me tips on how to prepare for these interviews? What general types of questions should I expect?

Also, what is your opinion on the issues within physical therapy? I've done some research and found out a lot of stuff about direct access. I know direct access allows patients to see a physical therapist without going through a physician. It seems as if most states have direct access now, so why is this still an issue?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Also what are good questions to ask the PT schools? Most of their information is on their websites and I want to ask good questions that is not listed on the websites.

To my knowledge, some school interviews are laid back and are used to get to know you (how was your experience in PT, what do you do in your free time, how active were you in school, why you chose PT, etc. Other schools may be more concerned with testing your knowledge of the PT field (how were the PT clinics you worked in different, describe a time when there was an ethical dilemma in a PT setting, what are some issues you've discovered in your experience and what may be some ways of resolving these issues, etc.). Some schools will be a combination of both. The list of possible questions goes on and on. In my opinion, only preparing for specific questions could dig you a deeper hole. I find that being genuine and friendly is all you need to do well. Sit down, know yourself, and really think about why you got into this career.
There are many issues to be looked into besides direct access you can look at at on the APTA site. As far as I know, there are still restrictions when it comes to direct access. Each state has different restrictions.
As for asking questions, it's like buying a used car. Sure it works and its drive-able, but you're not just gonna buy it cuz it looks good. You have to ask the right questions to make sure its a good fit for you. PT school is going to cost a lot of money, so ask your questions accordingly. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think being yourself and letting your personality shine is a biggie. Be confident in your answers and don't feel like you have to give a scripted answer. Sometimes, people going into interviews get so nervous and caught up on being the "perfect" candidate that they screw up their answers, trying to remember what they studied to say. Just go in having a general idea of what road you're going down with different questions and you can let the rest come from your head and your heart about your life and experiences. I think once the interview is over, if you feel confident enough and if they haven't covered it, ask "what would make an ideal candidate for your program?" or "what kind of individual would you like to see in your program?" I asked this and after I answered all of my questions, I wanted to see if how I reflected myself in my interview would match their answer. Do they want someone confident? Experienced? Outgoing? Because if so, I personally feel better knowing that I match those qualities and there shouldn't be a reason to not choose me for their program.

As far as direct access is concerned, I happen to live in a state where there are restrictions (Georgia). Basically, Direct Access cuts out the middle man a.k.a the doctor. Since I work front desk and I have inquisitive people calling to ask "Do I need a referral? My insurance says I don't and I really don't want to go back to the doctor," I have to tell them yes, we need a referral from the doctor in the state of GA. It's a pain in the ass to tell patients to basically go back to their PCP orthopedist, whomever, pay the copay, get a script for the problem your therapist is saying you're having, then come back to the clinic....therapists are trained and taught how to diagnose these issues and sometimes find problems that doctors accidentally misdiagnose on the script itself. Direct Access allows patients to come in without having to go to the doctor first and get treated.

I agree with what was said. I've personally been through two interviews already, and both were completely laid back. Most schools are just putting a face and human characteristics to the stats that they have already seen. One of my interviews was blind, so the interviewers didn't even see my PTCAS application. The other had my file in front of them, but just had a really relaxed conversation. They asked how I managed my time, why I wanted to go into PT school, and other things completely unrelated to the profession itself.

I was asked in one interview about problems physical therapists go through, and I had no idea they meant some of the things that the APTA site mentions (direct access, POPTS, etc). However, I answered the question with a personal experience from my PT internship. I talked about how my supervisors (PTs) would talk about the continuing education they would have to do and how it was a pain and what needed to be changed about it. I must have saved myself by answering it with a first-hand perspective, because I know they weren't expecting that answer and I got accepted into their program.

Just be familiar with some of the issues on the APTA website, but don't get caught up in memorization. Every program is different, so there isn't a way to memorize what kind of questions you'll be asked. I didn't prepare for either of my interviews, but I was prepared to explain general things like why I want to go to that specific school, why PT is for me, strengths/weaknesses, and why that school should choose me. Most importantly, just be yourself in the interview. You were chosen to interview for a reason, so let your personality shine through! Best of luck.

Looking for answers to the following:
1. If you see that others have secured admission into schools and you have not heard from the school with a rejection or a request for an interview...are you still in the hunt?
2. After an interview, how quickly do you hear about admission or wait list?

Looking for answers to the following:
1. If you see that others have secured admission into schools and you have not heard from the school with a rejection or a request for an interview...are you still in the hunt?
2. After an interview, how quickly do you hear about admission or wait list?

1. They are probably looking for the most qualified applicants to fill in the rest of the spots. This could mean they have gone through all the applicants and are trying to make a decision, OR they have not yet looked at all the applicants and are waiting to review them. Whether your application is in that category or not, if you have not been rejected, then you're still in the game.
2. Time of decisions from interviews will vary from school to school. It depends on how many faculty members are on the admissions committee, how many applicants there are, and whether all the applicants have been reviewed or not. From my experience and from those I have talked to, it could take at least 1-2 weeks, minimum. The best way to know is to email a representative or admissions counselor of that specific school, and ask your questions. Good luck!