Questions about LECOM-Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

andi_cvr

Hey,
I have a few questions for a friend of mine who was interviewed by LECOM-Erie in March.

1. Is the class full?

2. In what type of letter was there a form that had to be returned to the admissions office, acceptance, waitlist, or rejection? She was emailed by the admissions office today saying they sent her a letter on Friday, but forgot to send a form that she was supposed to return with it.

Thanks.
~Andrea

Members don't see this ad.

If you get your friend gets the letter from LECOM let me know. I got the same email. I hope it's an acceptance (don't think it's a rejection), might be waitlist though. :confused:

So I ended up on the waitlist too. I'm a little dissapointed, but trying to remain hopeful. Do you know any statistics about the Erie Waitlist? Like how many people get off, how they pick who gets off, or when you will actually find out if your getting off.
Thanks for your help and good luck to your friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
ejpcuse said:
So I ended up on the waitlist too. I'm a little dissapointed, but trying to remain hopeful. Do you know any statistics about the Erie Waitlist? Like how many people get off, how they pick who gets off, or when you will actually find out if your getting off.
Thanks for your help and good luck to your friend.

There is a whole bunch of posts on this topic, just search for it.

I called LECOM - Erie today and talked to Elaine Morse. She kind of gave me the run around when I started asking her questions about the waitlist.

She said that they do typically accept people from the waitlist - sometimes as few as 10 or as many as 30. She would not tell me how many people are on the waitlist because she says it changes everyday.

She says they review applicants who are on the waitlist every week, but usually people are accepted from the waitlist in June.

Hope this helps your friend.

ejpcuse said:
I called LECOM - Erie today and talked to Elaine Morse. She kind of gave me the run around when I started asking her questions about the waitlist.

She said that they do typically accept people from the waitlist - sometimes as few as 10 or as many as 30. She would not tell me how many people are on the waitlist because she says it changes everyday.

She says they review applicants who are on the waitlist every week, but usually people are accepted from the waitlist in June.

Hope this helps your friend.

Thanks for the info! You know it might save Elaine alot of time to send out one giant email about anything at all she can tell us about the waitlist. That way we all know what is going on and she doesn't have to answer a billion phone calls!

I can't believe that no one will get off the waitlist till June :mad: . I am not liking my chances at all either with only 10-30 people getting off the waitlist.

I just sent in my deposit to the carribean, at Ross University. I felt so trapped I didn't know what to do between there and LECOM. I am crossing my fingers so tight, it took me 45 minutes to type this!!! :oops:

Feeling nauseous and truly yours,
Jezzielin :confused:

Hey Jezzielin, I was just wondering how you were doing and if you had heard anything yet.

I still think with all the crap you took from LECOM you better be at the tippy top of the waitlist.

:luck: :luck:

hoberto said:
Hey Jezzielin, I was just wondering how you were doing and if you had heard anything yet.

I still think with all the crap you took from LECOM you better be at the tippy top of the waitlist.

:luck: :luck:

Hey, no new news yet. I am trying not to be optimistic because that way I don't get disappointed. I am waiting to my Functional Genomics professor to send an extra LOR to my Interfolio account. I also forwarded my transcripts -I got a 3.82 this semester! :D All 4.0 but one stupid 3.5 in a pre-req course :laugh: Grrrr :cool: . Anyway, that's just what I've been doing. But there is no news from them yet. I hope they take people off in May!!!!

Thanks for the interest! My folks are sick and tired of me talking about this school :laugh: .

Jezzielin said:
Hey, no new news yet. I am trying not to be optimistic because that way I don't get disappointed. I am waiting to my Functional Genomics professor to send an extra LOR to my Interfolio account. I also forwarded my transcripts -I got a 3.82 this semester! :D All 4.0 but one stupid 3.5 in a pre-req course :laugh: Grrrr :cool: . Anyway, that's just what I've been doing. But there is no news from them yet. I hope they take people off in May!!!!

Thanks for the interest! My folks are sick and tired of me talking about this school :laugh: .

Yeah, I'm on the waitlist too...I just found out on Friday. If, it does not work out I have to retake my mcats and apply for 2008. My pre-med advisor does not recommend applying for 2007.

In the meantime, I may go to SUNY Buffalo to do my grad studies.

Here is an email sent to me from the assistant registrar. Not really any great news, but I am honestly starting to go insane :eek:

Jezzielin,

I do not know the exact number of people on the wait list. The list is
starting to move slowly for Erie as well. Alternates are chosen by the
admissions committee which meets every other week. Melissa

Assistant Registrar

Just give me some new info!!! :rolleyes:

Jezzielin said:
Here is an email sent to me from the assistant registrar. Not really any great news, but I am honestly starting to go insane :eek:

Jezzielin,

Assistant Registrar

Wow they respond to their email?? That in and of itself is a good sign :thumbup:

Jezzielin said:

Jezzielin,

Assistant Registrar

We don't need an exact number... an estimate would be fine!!! That's the same thing they told me!

ejpcuse said:
We don't need an exact number... an estimate would be fine!!! That's the same thing they told me!

I even specifically wrote that! "It doesn't have be exact because I know it fluctuates everyday." :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: <----- CrAzY lAuGh!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I called LECOM on May 16 and talked to Elaine Morse and after trying to get information out of her for weeks, she finally told me that I am in the top ten of the alternate list. She told me that she would be sending out the alternate list letter to me the next day, May 17. She said that I have a very good chance as a lot of times the top 10 to 30 people on the alternate list get in. She said she would call me if I moved off the list. I interviewed on March 24. Is this good news??? :confused:

DnB607 said:
I called LECOM on May 16 and talked to Elaine Morse and after trying to get information out of her for weeks, she finally told me that I am in the top ten of the alternate list. She told me that she would be sending out the alternate list letter to me the next day, May 17. She said that I have a very good chance as a lot of times the top 10 to 30 people on the alternate list get in. She said she would call me if I moved off the list. I interviewed on March 24. Is this good news??? :confused:

Wow!! That seems good to me, but I probably don't know much more than you. How did you get her to tell you your position on the waitlist?? Can I ask what your stats are? (I'm on that waitlist too)
Thanks for news! Good luck, let us know when you get a call!

DnB607 said:

Wow, I guess it's begun. I am so confused though how they are doing this. Not feeling so good about this now. I thought interviewing early and all my extra things I have done would pay off. Guess not. :( :thumbdown: Man, it's so hard to be positive...

I've been waiting to hear what was going on so thank goodness you posted! Very helpful, though. And on your first post, too.

Congrats though DnB607! And yes, it is very good news.

Ok, guys, take it from me. LECOM class 2006. DO NOT take anything that Elaine Morse tells you as truth. Honestly I don't know how that woman keeps her job. She doesn't know what is happeining. You are better off going through Melissa to get any answers. The waitlist does get updated every other week and they reserve the right to notify of possible openings up until the day classes start. Difficult when people need to move, etc. Keep crossing your fingers and hope you get in. The admissions there is terribly understaffed and many of the staff they do have, I'm not sure what they do exactly??? Keep up hope and cross those fingers.

Thanks for the support everyone. My GPA is 3.85 and my MCAT score is 25. I e-mailed Elaine just yesterday and she told me that there hasn't been movement in the wait list yet. I didn't even ask her my position on the list when I called this week...she just gave me the information. She told me to hold tight. And I was like, hold tight?! And I said it with an attitude like are you kidding me, how can I just hold tight? And so she gave me more information. lol Good luck to everyone. I am crossing my fingers!!!

DnB607 said:
Thanks for the support everyone. My GPA is 3.85 and my MCAT score is 25. I e-mailed Elaine just yesterday and she told me that there hasn't been movement in the wait list yet. I didn't even ask her my position on the list when I called this week...she just gave me the information. She told me to hold tight. And I was like, hold tight?! And I said it with an attitude like are you kidding me, how can I just hold tight? And so she gave me more information. lol Good luck to everyone. I am crossing my fingers!!!

This is the e-mail I got from her yesterday morning.

Dana you are a top alternate, but we've had no movement in the class. This is not unusual for this time of the year. I cannot estimate when you might be called. Every year is different. Elaine

Deleted, repeat post.

DnB607 said:

Welp, of all people on the waitlist I really would not worry. I probably along with many other are surprised that Elaine would give out such information. But, if she did, she did. You are fine and in a much better spot than most of us. So, congrats but there is no need for you to feel upset about your position...

Well, I got a phone call from Elaine Morse today with wonderful news. I was accepted for the class of 2010! Woohoo!!! :)

DnB607 said:
Well, I got a phone call from Elaine Morse today with wonderful news. I was accepted for the class of 2010! Woohoo!!! :)

Congratulations!!!

Make sure you get the acceptance in writing.

DnB607 said:

Congrats hun! :D So she prolly called the top ten today?

DnB607 said:

Congradulations!!! That was really quick, no wait at all! Hopefully we will all be joining you shortly.

Okay... This is getting too close to call for me. A while back, I called LECOM-Erie and talked to Melissa. I asked her about my file, about my interviewing early, and my chances. This was about 2 months ago. She told me, "You're chances look like you will be one of the first off the waitlist."

Okay, so... :rolleyes:

I call this morning because my contact numbers had changed and talked to Cinder. Wow, she was so patient and informative. I only wanted to change my info and not ask questions because I didn't think I would get anything new. Technically, I didn't. But she began telling me about the waitlist and what was going on! I was surprised. She said that the waitlist was moving fast now. LDP moves the best. It is not ranked meaning highest GPAs/MCATs don't mean you are at the top.

After all that I told her how active of a waitlister I have been and began describing it. We talked for while and then she told me (making it the second person that has told me), "I don't want to get you're hopes up but you're chances seem good!".

What is going on? Are they just saying it to make me feel better? Does anyone else get this response too? :confused:

Anyway, good luck everyone. Hopefully this will all be over soon...

Jezzielin said:
After all that I told her how active of a waitlister I have been and began describing it. We talked for while and then she told me (making it the second person that has told me), "I don't want to get you're hopes up but you're chances seem good!".

I doubt they would say that unless it was true. If you are calling often they probably know where you stand on the waitlist without even checking. If the waitlist is moving fast then they know approx how many will be coming off the waitlist in the next few weeks. :luck:

DnB607 said:

Congratulations! I'm just begining the application process this summer, and reading this thread is both exciting and nerve wracking! Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Thanks everyone!!! :) Hang in there, Jezzielin. I know waiting as long as you have must be so nerve-wracking. The information they shared sounds like good news! I got similar news in April/May. Elaine would "say no letter has been sent to you yet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing"...and little tid bits to get my hopes up. I will cross my fingers for you!!!

DnB607 said:
Thanks everyone!!! :) Hang in there, Jezzielin. I know waiting as long as you have must be so nerve-wracking. The information they shared sounds like good news! I got similar news in April/May. Elaine would "say no letter has been sent to you yet, but that's not necessarily a bad thing"...and little tid bits to get my hopes up. I will cross my fingers for you!!!

Thanks alot. If anyone else gets a call or calls them up for info, please post! :oops:

Does anyone know if today, this Wednesday, the admissions committee meets???

Jezzielin said:
Thanks alot. If anyone else gets a call or calls them up for info, please post! :oops:

Does anyone know if today, this Wednesday, the admissions committee meets???
I don't know but just posting to wish you luck. :luck: I sure hope you get in.

Jezzielin said:
Okay... This is getting too close to call for me. A while back, I called LECOM-Erie and talked to Melissa. I asked her about my file, about my interviewing early, and my chances. This was about 2 months ago. She told me, "You're chances look like you will be one of the first off the waitlist."

Okay, so... :rolleyes:

I call this morning because my contact numbers had changed and talked to Cinder. Wow, she was so patient and informative. I only wanted to change my info and not ask questions because I didn't think I would get anything new. Technically, I didn't. But she began telling me about the waitlist and what was going on! I was surprised. She said that the waitlist was moving fast now. LDP moves the best. It is not ranked meaning highest GPAs/MCATs don't mean you are at the top.

What is going on? Are they just saying it to make me feel better? Does anyone else get this response too? :confused:

Anyway, good luck everyone. Hopefully this will all be over soon...
Hey, I have to tell you the CINDA is THE BEST person at that school. She just quit from the rotations office and got hired on downstairs in admin for T,W,Th. I totally love her. Whatever she tells you is THE TOTAL TRUTH. She is all about the students and does not worry about the hierarchy of the school. I will miss her when I leave. So if she seems "different" on the phone from the others then you are correct. She is different and tells you straight up how it is. I am glad for you.

I have to agree with cabinbuilder. If it weren't for Cinda, I'd have given up on the whole process 2 years ago. She is a wonderful resource, and more importantly, a wonderful person. You can trust whatever she tells you. As for some of the others... well :confused: :eek: ;)

DnB607 said:

Oh wow! BTW congrats for getting in. I interviewed on the 23rd of March, I guess that means they do not discriminate on the basis of interview date.

I want this school so badly...otherwise I'll be going to another grad school again. I want med school over grad school. This is the only med school that invited me for an interview. I sent some new LOR's after I got waitlisted, because I found out from another school that my grad supervisor wrote someting stupid about me, and that was probably why I was waitlisted instead of accepted. I probabaly did not (blank) up my interview so badly to be rejected though.

I called Elaine yesterday to give her another contact number. She sounded nicer than she was when I saw her at the interview, but she did not tell me where I stood. (I did not ask.)

DnB607 said:

DnB607, when did you receive your letter that you were waitlisted (what was the date on the letter)?

Corrupt200 said:
DnB607, when did you receive your letter that you were waitlisted (what was the date on the letter)?

Corrupt200, I actually never received a letter saying I was on the wait list! She told me on May 16 that she would be sending one out but she never did. Then I got a call on May 22 and she said I was accepted. And then on May 25 I received my acceptance letter and it was dated May 15!!! So there was no wait list letter after all...it seemed like they knew they were going to accept me but just had to wait until more spots opened up.

Oh, and you really should ask where you stand! Call at least once a week asking if your status has changed at all. And you should also send them a LOI. Well, good luck!!! :)

DnB607 said:
Corrupt200, I actually never received a letter saying I was on the wait list! She told me on May 16 that she would be sending one out but she never did. Then I got a call on May 22 and she said I was accepted. And then on May 25 I received my acceptance letter and it was dated May 15!!! So there was no wait list letter after all...it seemed like they knew they were going to accept me but just had to wait until more spots opened up.

Oh, and you really should ask where you stand! Call at least once a week asking if your status has changed at all. And you should also send them a LOI. Well, good luck!!! :)

I wrote a letter of intent shortly after I got my waitlist letter.

I am kinda scared however, about inquiring about my waitlist status...I am fearing the worst. I had so many rejections, and this is the only med school that invited me for an interview.

Corrupt200 said:
I wrote a letter of intent shortly after I got my waitlist letter.

I am kinda scared however, about inquiring about my waitlist status...I am fearing the worst. I had so many rejections, and this is the only med school that invited me for an interview.

Anything to keep your name familiar there would help! It is hard, especially for me after almost 8 months of waiting, to be that patient or persistant. It hopefully will pay off though! :oops:

:luck:

Jezzielin said:
Anything to keep your name familiar there would help! It is hard, especially for me after almost 8 months of waiting, to be that patient or persistant. It hopefully will pay off though! :oops:

:luck:

What should I tell the person who picks up the phone? I don't want to sound too pushy or rude to Elaine or anyone else. I know I should not call everyday.

Maybe I should talk to my pre-med advisor at U-Mich before I make too many hasty calls.

Corrupt200 said:
What should I tell the person who picks up the phone? I don't want to sound too pushy or rude to Elaine or anyone else. I know I should not call everyday.

Maybe I should talk to my pre-med advisor at U-Mich before I make too many hasty calls.

I wouldn't worry too much about bothering them. Talk to Cinda if you can, she really is so sweet and very patient. I like to call pretty often but I switch up who I talk to! :laugh:

Post if you get ahold of them and any info! :oops:

Hi, I know waiting is a killer. Colleen is usually the one who answers the phone at LECOM, she is the main receptionist. Once she answers just request to speak with Cinda in admissions. She should transfer you without questions. That way you sound like you know her personally.

cabinbuilder said:
Hi, I know waiting is a killer.

I don't know why but I am starting to freak out thinking that the waitlist will never move :laugh: ! Searching the past year or so, it didn't seem like there was much movement...

Ah well, back to waiting!

Have a good Memorial Day ya'll! :)

Hey Jezzielin I'm also waitlisted at LECOM-Erie, and I was very restless and uncertain at first. At this stage of the game be postive and everything will work itself out. Hopefully I'll see u in august :) .

So talking to a friend, I heard that the class is full. There is no seats available. The waitlist movement is already over??? :(

Of course people will get off the waitlist when anything opens up but otherwise is that it? It isn't even June yet!

...wow.

There is always a great deal of movement on the waitlist right up until the first or second week of classes. Some people send in a deposit to Lecom and then get into another school that is their first choice at the end of the summer. Don't panic yet... there will be lots of changes to come in the class of '10!

sddoc said:
There is always a great deal of movement on the waitlist right up until the first or second week of classes. Some people send in a deposit to Lecom and then get into another school that is their first choice at the end of the summer. Don't panic yet... there will be lots of changes to come in the class of '10!

Yeah true about the deposits. I wonder how many people are holding onto multiple acceptances? Ah well, alright I'll save all my panic for a little bit longer... :p

Jezzielin said:
I wouldn't worry too much about bothering them. Talk to Cinda if you can, she really is so sweet and very patient. I like to call pretty often but I switch up who I talk to! :laugh:

Post if you get ahold of them and any info! :oops:

I actually talked to my pre-med advisor, and she thinks calling on a regular basis can appear very pushy...which was my opinion also. I'll wait a bit b4 doing anything drastic..

My dad was talking to a prof's wife in Cincinati, and she said that as waitlistees we still have a pretty good chance, but the waiting period is going to be really long...mainly because of MD waitlistees who used DO as a backup.

Honestly, for me, it's amazing I got this far in the medical school admissions process. I was expecting all rejections and no interviews. I sure as hell was not expecting an interview invite, then waitlist. The only thing I really complain about, besides the suspense, is just the fact that it put a damper on my travel plans.

Oh well to get my mind off things, I am looking for a newer and better car to take to Buffalo (got into SUNY Buffalo for grad school) or Erie instead of my 1998 Sentra.

Corrupt200 said:
I actually talked to my pre-med advisor, and she thinks calling on a regular basis can appear very pushy...which was my opinion also. I'll wait a bit b4 doing anything drastic..

My dad was talking to a prof's wife in Cincinati, and she said that as waitlistees we still have a pretty good chance, but the waiting period is going to be really long...mainly because of MD waitlistees who used DO as a backup.

Yeah, I haven't called lately except to confirm my update letter came. I am definately done for a while! But don't all the acceptaces for those MD applicants have to be pulled from DO schools by now? Am I wrong? :confused:

Jezzielin said:
Yeah, I haven't called lately except to confirm my update letter came. I am definately done for a while! But don't all the acceptaces for those MD applicants have to be pulled from DO schools by now? Am I wrong? :confused:

They don't HAVE to be. Unlike the MD system, the DO system doesn't require you to give up multiple acceptances by a particular date. For some reason, there are people who believe that it is their "right" to hold acceptances for as long as they want to because they "earned" them. It doesn't affect me personally, but I still believe that people who do that are as bad as school-yard bullys. If you believe in Karma, then I guess they'll get theirs in the end. :scared: