Questions about LECOM-Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
scpod said:
They don't HAVE to be. Unlike the MD system, the DO system doesn't require you to give up multiple acceptances by a particular date. For some reason, there are people who believe that it is their "right" to hold acceptances for as long as they want to because they "earned" them. It doesn't affect me personally, but I still believe that people who do that are as bad as school-yard bullys. If you believe in Karma, then I guess they'll get theirs in the end. :scared:

So both MD and DO applicants can still be holding onto seats?

The May 15th date didn't mean the MD students had to drop their DO seats? Sorry, not trying to play dumb! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Jezzielin said:
The May 15th date didn't mean the MD students had to drop their DO seats? Sorry, not trying to play dumb! :laugh:

Yes, that's true. The only thing AACOMAS says to applicants is, "Applicants who have made a final decision on the medical school they plan to attend have the obligation to promptly withdraw their applications from all other schools."

So, they can still be holding seats. Some will actually hold them until the day classes begin-- they just won't show up-- and never actually notify the school. Now, I'm not sure about Erie, but Bradenton has a whole lot of forms that you have to have filled out by July 14th in order to attend orientation. If you don't send them all in by then, then you have to petition to attend orientation. That should eliminate a number of people who are holding onto seats by then.

scpod said:
Yes, that's true. The only thing AACOMAS says to applicants is, "Applicants who have made a final decision on the medical school they plan to attend have the obligation to promptly withdraw their applications from all other schools."

So, they can still be holding seats. Some will actually hold them until the day classes begin-- they just won't show up-- and never actually notify the school. Now, I'm not sure about Erie, but Bradenton has a whole lot of forms that you have to have filled out by July 14th in order to attend orientation. If you don't send them all in by then, then you have to petition to attend orientation. That should eliminate a number of people who are holding onto seats by then.

Oh wow, okay... I had that all wrong! Well that's great news then right? I thought the only seats to be dropped now were just by DO applicants. Thank you scpod! :D :) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news yet anyone?

I talked to Cinda last thursday and she would not reveal anything at all. Only things she would say are that they do not rank the waitlist, they call for acceptances and they still are accepting people off the waitlist. Does anyone know when classes start for LECOM?

Orientation begins July 29 and classes start August 3. Good luck everyone! :)

Plumber227 said:
I talked to Cinda last thursday and she would not reveal anything at all. Only things she would say are that they do not rank the waitlist, they call for acceptances and they still are accepting people off the waitlist. Does anyone know when classes start for LECOM?

Eek. Alright, thanks. :(

Plumber227 said:

I talked to Cinda today to check if my LOI was in the file or not (which it was), and she did not divulge anything at all to me either.

Waitlist sucks. Might as well focus on something else like finding myself a new car.

Plumber227 said:

I talked to Cinda today to check if my LOI was in the file or not (which it was; I sent it early May as soon as I heard I was waitlisted), and she did not divulge anything at all to me either.

I got a little scared, when she said "Wow a lot of LORs" (Several other people offered to write LORs for me after I told them I was waitlisted, including another medical doctor and my current boss. )

Waitlist sucks. Might as well focus on something else like finding myself a new car.

Corrupt200 said:
I talked to Cinda today to check if my LOI was in the file or not (which it was; I sent it early May as soon as I heard I was waitlisted), and she did not divulge anything at all to me either.

I got a little scared, when she said "Wow a lot of LORs" (Several other people offered to write LORs for me after I told them I was waitlisted, including another medical doctor and my current boss. )

Why were ya scared? I'd think more LORs would be good that she noticed.
:oops:

Jezzielin,

I've been following your posts for awhile now and I'm really pulling for you. Good luck and I really hope I get to meet you in August. :D

DrWiggles said:
Jezzielin,

I've been following your posts for awhile now and I'm really pulling for you. Good luck and I really hope I get to meet you in August. :D

Thanks! I really want to meet everyone too! Haven't been able to graduate to the Class Thread, I want to sooo bad! :scared:

I finally just got and sent in another LOR from my functional genomics professor so hopefully something good will happen soon. :rolleyes: It doesn't seem that LECOM-E's waitlist moves that much at all over the years, but I am holding onto a teeny tiny bit of hope still... :oops:

Anyone else on the waitlist or feels like posting, please do! It helps my sanity to be able to talk to people lol! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Jezzielin said:
Thanks! I really want to meet everyone too! Haven't been able to graduate to the Class Thread, I want to sooo bad! :scared:

I finally just got and sent in another LOR from my functional genomics professor so hopefully something good will happen soon. :rolleyes: It doesn't seem that LECOM-E's waitlist moves that much at all over the years, but I am holding onto a teeny tiny bit of hope still... :oops:

Anyone else on the waitlist or feels like posting, please do! It helps my sanity to be able to talk to people lol! :laugh:

My view, Jezz, is to be patient for awhile. Look at it this way, you are going to med school either way, so you should celebrate. I know how you feel. When you got what you want, you want something more. This past year was hell 4 me too. I was not sure if I could get a transfer to SUNY-Buffalo Chemistry Graduate program (my backup plan). They put my applicaiton on hold, but I stayed in touch with the chairman. Checked b4 and after April 15th to see if there would be an empty seat, and after April 15th there was one, and I got accepted. My view is stay patient and keep your eyes/ears open even at the last minute (ie August 1)

Corrupt200 said:
My view, Jezz, is to be patient for awhile. Look at it this way, you are going to med school either way, so you should celebrate. I know how you feel. When you got what you want, you want something more. This past year was hell 4 me too. I was not sure if I could get a transfer to SUNY-Buffalo Chemistry Graduate program (my backup plan). They put my applicaiton on hold, but I stayed in touch with the chairman. Checked b4 and after April 15th to see if there would be an empty seat, and after April 15th there was one, and I got accepted. My view is stay patient and keep your eyes/ears open even at the last minute (ie August 1)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I just called LECOM and they said that my chances seem to be high and I will be picked up soon if seats are dropped. Again, I hope it is true! I picked their brain pretty good lol. :p They just got my LOR and my new transcripts which are real good. So drop those seats ppl! :laugh: I am crapping my pants! :eek:

Oh, if anyone has called and found out when their next meeting is - please post!!! :thumbup:

Jezzielin said:
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I just called LECOM and they said that my chances seem to be high and I will be picked up soon if seats are dropped. Again, I hope it is true! I picked their brain pretty good lol. :p They just got my LOR and my new transcripts which are real good. So drop those seats ppl! :laugh: I am crapping my pants! :eek:

Oh, if anyone has called and found out when their next meeting is - please post!!! :thumbup:

How is it that they are telling you your odds, but they are not telling the rest of us our odds (of course I never called to directly inquire my chances, since I do not want to piss off the admissions people, who could decide to flat out reject me; I sent too many extra LORs anyway...though it was mainly to contradict my graduate supervisor's recommendation which sucked)

Still trying to find the right car for myself

Corrupt200 said:
How is it that they are telling you your odds, but they are not telling the rest of us our odds (of course I never called to directly inquire my chances, since I do not want to piss off the admissions people, who could decide to flat out reject me; I sent too many extra LORs anyway...though it was mainly to contradict my graduate supervisor's recommendation which sucked)

I just PMed you. Pretty much because I talk to Cinda and I really pick her brain and ask her many questions since she is so patient with me.:)

I don't mind calling them a bit and keeping contact. I never call "too much" and I usually switch people every now and then so I give maybe a month or more between each person. Sometimes I do email too instead of the phone.

Corrupt200 said:

Elaine Morse told me my odds...I only talked to her whenever I called. I called once a week for a month and a half. Corrupt200, you really should call to check on your status...it will show your interest and perserverance.

It seems that they only tell you your odds if they are good. Elaine Morse told me that I had a very good chance of getting in when I talked to her...and it so happened that I did a week later. So things seem to be looking up, Jezzielin! :) Good luck to the both of you!

DnB607 said:
Elaine Morse told me my odds...I only talked to her whenever I called. I called once a week for a month and a half. Corrupt200, you really should call to check on your status...it will show your interest and perserverance.

It seems that they only tell you your odds if they are good. Elaine Morse told me that I had a very good chance of getting in when I talked to her...and it so happened that I did a week later. So things seem to be looking up, Jezzielin! :) Good luck to the both of you!

See, I am not talking to Elaine though. So I don't know if she knows more than the others or they are all knowing the same amount... Hmm. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any other thoughts???

DnB607 said:

My pre-med advisor is so against the idea calling the school for some reason.

Besides, I called Cinda today, anonymously, to check if there has been any movement in the waitlist, and she just said, "The waitlist is moving slowly. We will call you if there is a seat available for you, and then we will send you in writing. Good luck"

If i had applied straight from college, I'd have been accepted I think.

Corrupt200 said:
My pre-med advisor is so against the idea calling the school for some reason.

Besides, I called Cinda today, anonymously, to check if there has been any movement in the waitlist, and she just said, "The waitlist is moving slowly. We will call you if there is a seat available for you, and then we will send you in writing. Good luck"

I really wouldn't be afraid to call. I'd call once a week. It is getting to that point for me lol.

any one out there still waiting on Lecom alternate list. I havn't seen any posting on lecom in a while.

yjmally said:
any one out there still waiting on Lecom alternate list. I havn't seen any posting on lecom in a while.

Unfortunately yes! I am loosing hope though because they said that most movement happens in June and the month is quickly ending with no word yet. I guess I better just look forward to PCOM biomedical sciences program and taking the MCATs again. But I am convinced I am getting in eventually!

ejpcuse said:
Unfortunately yes! I am loosing hope though because they said that most movement happens in June and the month is quickly ending with no word yet. I guess I better just look forward to PCOM biomedical sciences program and taking the MCATs again. But I am convinced I am getting in eventually!

I thought that most of the movement was in July. Don't lose hope! Still plenty of time! :)

probably is. went to look for a car today...no luck...helps get my mind off LECOM.

*Jeopardy Theme Song* :eek:

Clock is ticking!... :(

Nothing yet people? :rolleyes:

Jezzielin said:
*Jeopardy Theme Song* :eek:

Clock is ticking!... :(

Nothing yet people? :rolleyes:

Called Elaine to check my status, she said there has been no chenge in my status yet...Cinda was out

I may call again next week or end of the month. I believe now if anything happens it will be at the end of july...24h before school starts!!! :smuggrin:

Corrupt200 said:
Called Elaine to check my status, she said there has been no chenge in my status yet...Cinda was out

I may call again next week or end of the month. I believe now if anything happens it will be at the end of july...24h before school starts!!! :smuggrin:

Yeah, I am almost done with my CNA class now (time flies when you are on a waitlist lol) and they are asking me about my schedule! The deal is, if I want to get an automatic job there which pays good, I have to commit 4 months! Well if I get into school, I can't commit. But if they don't let me in, I can... Ugh.

Again, the wait continues! No one at all has been contacted about anything? :eek: I am starting to become CrAzY again! :scared:

P.S. Have a nice day! :)

just wanted to say good luck to you folks that have been waiting for a while :) i hope to have that kinda patience this cycle ;)

n0chi said:
just wanted to say good luck to you folks that have been waiting for a while :) i hope to have that kinda patience this cycle ;)

My patience is wearing thin.

Corrupt200 said:
My patience is wearing thin.

I hear ya. But tomorrow is July! Things will start moving, at least I am praying it will...

Come on July, be my month! It is already the month of my 4 year anniversary with my boyfriend and my 22nd birthday so hopefully it will be the month I get into LECOM, too!!! :oops:

I was a post-bacc student at LECOM this past year and was waitlisted as well. I agree this is very nerve racking. I was waitlisted due to my mcat scores that I needed to repeat. I interviewed in February and been waitlisted since March. I didn't think they would wait until the mcat scores came back in July but they did. I have spoken to other fellow post-bacc students who have been waitlisted as well and none of them have heard either. And being a post-bacc students last year hasn't given us an edge. My life is on hold right now and really can't make any plans until I find out.

I was accepted to the MPH program at New York Medical College and that is my back up plan. But my heart or my mind isn't into graduate school it is on medical school for this fall. Graduate school would mean having to move and find a place in new york which is much more expensive than Erie is. I am settled in Erie and would not mind staying there now that I have adjusted to the place. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of us. :thumbup: :)

dpb425 said:
I was a post-bacc student at LECOM this past year and was waitlisted as well. I agree this is very nerve racking. I was waitlisted due to my mcat scores that I needed to repeat. I interviewed in February and been waitlisted since March. I didn't think they would wait until the mcat scores came back in July but they did. I have spoken to other fellow post-bacc students who have been waitlisted as well and none of them have heard either. And being a post-bacc students last year hasn't given us an edge. My life is on hold right now and really can't make any plans until I find out.

I was accepted to the MPH program at New York Medical College and that is my back up plan. But my heart or my mind isn't into graduate school it is on medical school for this fall. Graduate school would mean having to move and find a place in new york which is much more expensive than Erie is. I am settled in Erie and would not mind staying there now that I have adjusted to the place. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of us. :thumbup: :)

Wow, I thought you would get an auto-admission. After putting in a year there I really hope you get in. I am planning on calling tomorrow. It is July now, the last month and we could really use some answers. I have been very patient but at the very least just want them to come out and tell me if there is still a chance or not.

I feel what you mean about your life being on hold. It is so frustrating to not know where you might be in a few weeks. If anyone hears or calls and finds out anything please continue to post! :oops:

Hi Jezzielin,
I wish the post-baccs had an edge, most of us are in limbo too. I have been following your post on this thread. I hope we get to meet in the fall. If I hear anything I'll definitely post it.

dpb425 said:

I'm doing post-bac at LECOM this fall, I would love to know how it works out for you and your classmates. Best of luck :luck:

Hi DrA,

thanks, we all need it with classes beginning at the end of this month. We are all on edge. If I hear anything I'll definitely post it. Good luck with the post-bacc program it is a great program. Hope to meet you as well in the fall I and a few others can share the post-bacc struggles. We have few stories to tell. :)

dpb425 said:
Hi DrA,

thanks, we all need it with classes beginning at the end of this month. We are all on edge. If I hear anything I'll definitely post it. Good luck with the post-bacc program it is a great program. Hope to meet you as well in the fall I and a few others can share the post-bacc struggles. We have few stories to tell. :)

Do you mind sharing any, now?

I'm thinking of calling Elaine today... anyone with me? :) I am definately in need of some news.

**Nevermind... I just called. Very little movement so far and she is not sure about anything in the future. +pissed+ Oh, and the last date that anyone will be called on the waitlist is now July 28th...

I'm going to go finish my 40oz now. :(

I called again today and they said that so far there has been a little movement off the waitlist but not all that much. They also said that in previous years, most waitlist movement occurs in July and that July 28 is the last day that they will accept anyone. Hopefully that will give some of us a little more hope.

Plumber227 said:
I called again today and they said that so far there has been a little movement off the waitlist but not all that much. They also said that in previous years, most waitlist movement occurs in July and that July 28 is the last day that they will accept anyone. Hopefully that will give some of us a little more hope.

I have checked med school admissions guides, and they say that witlisted candidate are rarely notified of admission until the day b4 classes/orientation start. So i am not totally surprised.

I am almost ready to give up with LECOM. But something keepa telling me, "Don't [my name], don't." My boss thinks it could be the best thing that ever happens to me. So does my cousin, my parents, my good friends. One friend thought it was cool that I got interviewed/waitlisted...he interpreted it as meaning I am a potential candidate...for med school (DO at least). So I cannot give up...in worst case secnario, I should retake the mcats and reapply while I am in grad school.

Jezzielin said:
I'm thinking of calling Elaine today... anyone with me? :) I am definately in need of some news.

**Nevermind... I just called. Very little movement so far and she is not sure about anything in the future. +pissed+ Oh, and the last date that anyone will be called on the waitlist is now July 28th...

I'm going to go finish my 40oz now. :(
I called today and I got no kind of info but yeah we are still reviewing files. How are you guys getting all of this deatailed info. What exactly are you asking?

Well I just hope your class does better than we did. A majority of us got C's in physiology, and the director of the post-bacc program Dr. Nassiri would come in the class to yell at us and tell us how we are not taking the program seriously and not putting in enough effort. When the problem was the professors were putting stuff on the exams that hadn't been covered in the lectures yet and somehow we were suppose to know it. Dr. Nassiri will teach a majority of the classes for the 2nd semester if we did bad on one of his exams he would yell at us again and say teaching us is a waste of time and how none of us will make it in medical school. Then he will turn around and say I'm your friend if you need anything come and talk to me. LOL. Just let his rants go in one ear and out the other. He is a very knoweldgeable man and a great teacher. He just like to through curves at us and we look on the exam and say what the hell is this. But most of the time he is pretty straight forward.

Someone you will get to know very well is Brian Simmonsen he is the right hand man of Dr. Nassiri. Brian will be your best friend. He is always willing to help you if you need it. If you have a problem or question you can always go to him. He is the best so get to know him very well.

That's all I can think of right now, so if you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask.

dpb425 said:
I called today and I got no kind of info but yeah we are still reviewing files. How are you guys getting all of this deatailed info. What exactly are you asking?

That's what I want to know! What is this 'magic' question? :D :laugh:

Back to hanging with my friends... Come on, it's July 4th - I need a break from worrying... :eek:

Very quiet lately about this school. I feel like the only one on the waitlist!

There just has to be movement this year... Is it getting to be too late? Tell me, I can take it. Maybe... :scared:

Jezzielin said:
Very quiet lately about this school. I feel like the only one on the waitlist!

There just has to be movement this year... Is it getting to be too late? Tell me, I can take it. Maybe... :scared:

you're not the only one on the alt list. I'm here. Plumber227 is. Ejpcuse is.

Corrupt200 said:
you're not the only one on the alt list. I'm here. Plumber227 is. Ejpcuse is.

Well, I know I am not the only one. What are you thinking Plumber227 and Ejpcuse?! Have you called lately?

Jezzielin said:
Well, I know I am not the only one. What are you thinking Plumber227 and Ejpcuse?! Have you called lately?

I checked with the LECOM guys, and they said that there has been some movement...not a lot though...

Also they said that it was very unusual to have such slow movement around this time.

At the same time (in my opinion) it is the week of ID4 so it maynot be unusual after all.

Corrupt200 said:
I checked with the LECOM guys, and they said that there has been some movement...not a lot though...

Also they said that it was very unusual to have such slow movement around this time.

At the same time (in my opinion) it is the week of ID4 so it maynot be unusual after all.

That's true. I am going to call again on Tuesday I think. Yea, sounds good to me... :p

It's crunch time! Some of my friends have already started at their school, MSUCOM :eek: ! Talk about sweatin' it out! :laugh:

Have a great weekend, I finally have a weekend off from the nursing home so I am going to my city's street fair and hitting the beer tent... HARD. :smuggrin:

I called a few days ago and they seem to get stingier and less friendly everytime I call. LECOM is my top choice but I don't understand why they are so secretive about their waitlist. I am also waitlisted at Touro-NV and when I called there, the admissions director told me exactly how many people were on the waitlist, about where I stood, exactly how many they have accepted off the waitlist to this point and exactly how many were accepted last year. He also gave me advice on what I should do to increase my chances at being accepted and told me to feel free to hassle him as much as I would like about the waitlist. I mean I really like LECOM and would go there above any other school, but this combined with the fact that they took nearly 3 months to make a decision after my interview has made me extremely frustrated with their admissions department. Either way, good luck to every other waitlister and hopefully July will finally be our month.