Questions about LECOM-Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Plumber227 said:
I called a few days ago and they seem to get stingier and less friendly everytime I call. LECOM is my top choice but I don't understand why they are so secretive about their waitlist. I am also waitlisted at Touro-NV and when I called there, the admissions director told me exactly how many people were on the waitlist, about where I stood, exactly how many they have accepted off the waitlist to this point and exactly how many were accepted last year. He also gave me advice on what I should do to increase my chances at being accepted and told me to feel free to hassle him as much as I would like about the waitlist. I mean I really like LECOM and would go there above any other school, but this combined with the fact that they took nearly 3 months to make a decision after my interview has made me extremely frustrated with their admissions department. Either way, good luck to every other waitlister and hopefully July will finally be our month.

Yep, same here. No real answers, especially from Elaine. No idea where I am on the list, info on the list, or advice. I can't think of anything else I can put in my file for this year. I have already added so much.

I am seriously considering taking the long drive there to just talk to them and plead my case. Is that too much? :laugh:

Ah, about bedtime - g'night all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Jezzielin said:
I am seriously considering taking the long drive there to just talk to them and plead my case. Is that too much? :laugh:
That would not be a bad idea if you actually know who you're looking for and if they're willing to sit down and talk to you. Just show up in all your hotness with a big fat check for the deposit to show your determination. Seriously, I'd do it. Bring your current transcript and whatever you want to update your file with. :luck:

Plumber227 said:
I called a few days ago and they seem to get stingier and less friendly everytime I call. LECOM is my top choice but I don't understand why they are so secretive about their waitlist. I am also waitlisted at Touro-NV and when I called there, the admissions director told me exactly how many people were on the waitlist, about where I stood, exactly how many they have accepted off the waitlist to this point and exactly how many were accepted last year. He also gave me advice on what I should do to increase my chances at being accepted and told me to feel free to hassle him as much as I would like about the waitlist. I mean I really like LECOM and would go there above any other school, but this combined with the fact that they took nearly 3 months to make a decision after my interview has made me extremely frustrated with their admissions department. Either way, good luck to every other waitlister and hopefully July will finally be our month.
The admission people are slow. They are getting meaner by the moment not because of all the waitlistees are bugging them. It's because they still haven't finish with the last application cycle and now the new cycle has started. They are getting bombarded right now. I wouldn't feel bad about it. Just keep bugging them but be nice about it or your file can be misplaced. :laugh: Good luck to those still on the waitlist. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys!
Yep I'm still enjoying my time on the waitlist! I'm not too confident that I am getting off so I am going to submit my application for next year. I'm planning to retake the MCATs and apply early. Making some changes so I don't have to do this waitlist thing again next year! Looking forward to attending PCOMs Biomedical Science Program in the Fall.

Good luck to everyone and keep posting if you find out anymore news :)

Plumber227 said:
One of my classmates from the post-bacc just got a call from elaine morse on friday that she got in. She got two calls from her one on thurs asking what her current address is and one on friday saying she got in. I'm really happy for her. I got a call from elaine on wed asking for my current address but tha certainly wasn't followed up by a call saying I got in, so who knows. I was told admissions committee met friday, and will again on monday.

Just to let you know plumber227 LECOM is secretive about everything. I have no idea why, they don't like to discuss their board scores either, and get irritable when you ask them about it. During the interview someone from administration told us if you don't want to get on the interviewers bad side don't ask about board scores. I thought that was strange. Most school boast about their pass rate. Not LECOM.The school has been there 10 years and they just started advertising in the local Erie area. I have met many people in Erie that when I tell them I go to LECOM, they are like what is that? I was thinking how can you live in a small town about 100K people have one medical school in the whole city and no one heard about it. I found that to be very strange. Just like the fact you have to scan yourself in and out of the building as well as the gym. LECOM does some strange stuff so get used to it. LOL. But other than the strange way they do things. It is a very good school. :)

ejpcuse said:
Hey Guys!
Yep I'm still enjoying my time on the waitlist! I'm not too confident that I am getting off so I am going to submit my application for next year. I'm planning to retake the MCATs and apply early. Making some changes so I don't have to do this waitlist thing again next year! Looking forward to attending PCOMs Biomedical Science Program in the Fall.

Good luck to everyone and keep posting if you find out anymore news :)

Did you not apply to LECOM's post-bacc. program? Why did you decide on PCOM's?

dpb425 said:
I was told admissions committee met friday, and will again on monday.

How did you find this out? Has anyone else been called about their address or anything?

Well, they didn't just start advertising on local TV. They had commercials on TV at least 3 years ago when I lived in town. The other thing that you will find out is that Erie is a strange town. It's definitely not a community, and people are so busy being poor and trying to get by in a crummy economy, that most of them could care less where you are obtaining a post graduate degree. :eek: Besides, with the exception of the mentoring program, there isn't much time for students to mingle in the community. Most people just want to graduate and move somewhere warmer! :cool:

As far as the scanning yourself into the building thing, I'm really at a loss. Maybe they're scared a student will steal one of those really cool chairs in the cafeteria. I think it's just a good way for them to monitor attendance. (That's why PBL is definitely the way to go! You almost never have to be there!)

Good luck to all you waitlisters! I'm rooting for you! :luck:

sddoc said:
Well, they didn't just start advertising on local TV. They had commercials on TV at least 3 years ago when I lived in town. The other thing that you will find out is that Erie is a strange town. It's definitely not a community, and people are so busy being poor and trying to get by in a crummy economy, that most of them could care less where you are obtaining a post graduate degree. :eek: Besides, with the exception of the mentoring program, there isn't much time for students to mingle in the community. Most people just want to graduate and move somewhere warmer! :cool:

As far as the scanning yourself into the building thing, I'm really at a loss. Maybe they're scared a student will steal one of those really cool chairs in the cafeteria. I think it's just a good way for them to monitor attendance. (That's why PBL is definitely the way to go! You almost never have to be there!)

Good luck to all you waitlisters! I'm rooting for you! :luck:

haha thanks

Ok so LECOM called me to get my address so they could make sure the letter got to me that said I was denied. Isn't that great. LOL. I knew of an MSI that got the same call last year and her letter had good news. The bummer is I did really well in the post-bacc program but a handful of us didn't get the minimum MCAT score they wanted, so I was denied. I'm thinking the rest of us that didn't make the score (there were several of us), will probably be denied as well, and last year there really wasn't a minimum score mention on their website, but there is one now. And yes it is possible to be apart of thier post-bacc program and not be accepted to the school. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm just glad the waiting is over now I can move onto plan B. I'm going to get my MPH somewhere I was accepted at New York Medical College but now I'm thinking I should move back to California, where I"m from originally, all of my family is out there. I'm out in Cali now awaiting the results, and now that I know I need to go back to Erie and get my stuff.

I'm not deterred, I'm going to retake the MCAT and reapply after I get my masters. I wish those of you who haven't heard yet the best of luck. :thumbup:

Had you previously recieved a letter notifying you that you were on the alternate list? I mean, were you on the waitlists when you recieved the recent letter notifying you that you had been denied admission?

Tejas said:
Had you previously recieved a letter notifying you that you were on the alternate list? I mean, were you on the waitlists when you recieved the recent letter notifying you that you had been denied admission?
I was placed on the alternate list contigent upon my mcat score,along with several other people. Which was new for LECOM, they did a lot of things new this year. So I don't know what that makes me from Feb when I got the letter until now when I was denied. I wasn't denied and I wasn't waitlisted, limbo is what I call it. LECOM wasn't sure what they were going to do with us post-bacc people that didn't make the mcat score since there were quite a few of us in that same boat over half the post-bacc class had to retake the mcat which didn't happen last year. Well it looks like they have now made their decision. Oh well what can you do. But try, try again.

So LECOM has a new MCAT score requirement I take it? Doesn't that make them the only med school in the USA that actually publishes that they require a certain MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Trek 1 said:
So LECOM has a new MCAT score requirement I take it? Doesn't that make them the only med school in the USA that actually publishes that they require a certain MCAT score?

No, what it really makes them is innovative. They were one of the first to offer three different pathways. They offered the entire class of Bradenton up to PBL. They are attempting NEW things in some areas. What is means to me ai that they are on the "cutting edge" of new possibilities in the medical school genre.

dpb425 said:
Ok so LECOM called me to get my address so they could make sure the letter got to me that said I was denied. Isn't that great. LOL. I knew of an MSI that got the same call last year and her letter had good news. The bummer is I did really well in the post-bacc program but a handful of us didn't get the minimum MCAT score they wanted, so I was denied. I'm thinking the rest of us that didn't make the score (there were several of us), will probably be denied as well, and last year there really wasn't a minimum score mention on their website, but there is one now. And yes it is possible to be apart of thier post-bacc program and not be accepted to the school. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm just glad the waiting is over now I can move onto plan B. I'm going to get my MPH somewhere I was accepted at New York Medical College but now I'm thinking I should move back to California, where I"m from originally, all of my family is out there. I'm out in Cali now awaiting the results, and now that I know I need to go back to Erie and get my stuff.

I'm not deterred, I'm going to retake the MCAT and reapply after I get my masters. I wish those of you who haven't heard yet the best of luck. :thumbup:

That's terrible. What's the minimum MCAT score? It says on their website that the mean score is 23...?

hopesofmedicine said:
i think 20-23 might be right. good luck everyone!

So does this apply to the current waitlist for those that didn't do post-bacc? Should I count myself out? :(

Jezzielin said:
So does this apply to the current waitlist for those that didn't do post-bacc? Should I count myself out? :(

i think it's for the applicants for fall 07. don't give up hope!

hopesofmedicine said:
i think it's for the applicants for fall 07. don't give up hope!

Oh... Still though, I think I might starting to feel sick. This is cutting it too close for me. Had high hopes for since September, but forgive me if has faded a bit.

Good luck though to everyone though waiting like me. Not gonna lie, I want a seat but I know especially if anyone has been waiting a decent amount of time (not going to say as long as me, because I think I am one of the longest, :laugh: ) but I know how much they will appreciate it.

Only a couple weeks left, so hopefully there will be open seats needed to still be filled soon.

:luck:

dpb425 said:
I was placed on the alternate list contigent upon my mcat score,along with several other people. Which was new for LECOM, they did a lot of things new this year. So I don't know what that makes me from Feb when I got the letter until now when I was denied. I wasn't denied and I wasn't waitlisted, limbo is what I call it. LECOM wasn't sure what they were going to do with us post-bacc people that didn't make the mcat score since there were quite a few of us in that same boat over half the post-bacc class had to retake the mcat which didn't happen last year. Well it looks like they have now made their decision. Oh well what can you do. But try, try again.

Did you only apply to LECOM?

DrA said:
That's terrible. What's the minimum MCAT score? It says on their website that the mean score is 23...?

so what is the minimum mcat score to get into lecom? i have a 3.94 gpa but my mcat is very low (19!). will they even look at my app for entry fall of 2007?

thanks for any answers or help!!

ckitty said:
so what is the minimum mcat score to get into lecom? i have a 3.94 gpa but my mcat is very low (19!). will they even look at my app for entry fall of 2007?

thanks for any answers or help!!

I am waitlisted there with this MCAT (19O). Not sure if they are changing it for next year but they interviewed me however I am still waitlisted.

Jezzielin said:
I am waitlisted there with this MCAT (19O). Not sure if they are changing it for next year but they interviewed me however I am still waitlisted.

I hate when a school changes its admissions method.

Hey guys,

I know for a fact that starting with the CURRENT admissions cycle (those applying for the class of 2011), the minimum MCAT score to be accepted to LECOM is a 24. I don't know if this applies to those currently on the waitlist for the class entering this August, however.

My girlfriend is a MS-2 at LECOM and told me she heard this from the administration.

Good luck all.

MedicineMan99 said:
Hey guys,

I know for a fact that starting with the CURRENT admissions cycle (those applying for the class of 2011), the minimum MCAT score to be accepted to LECOM is a 24. I don't know if this applies to those currently on the waitlist for the class entering this August, however.

My girlfriend is a MS-2 at LECOM and told me she heard this from the administration.

Good luck all.
I guess there's a lot of people applying to lecom now that they could be a little more selective.

MedicineMan99 said:
Hey guys,

Good luck all.

I just don't believe that the minimum will be 24 (I can see the average being 24). Please tell your girlfriend to double-check on this.

FutureDocDO said:
I guess there's a lot of people applying to lecom now that they could be a little more selective.

At least 24 is my score, as a Class of 2010 applicant.

drjds said:
I just don't believe that the minimum will be 24 (I can see the average being 24). Please tell your girlfriend to double-check on this.

Hey,

Yeah I know it is hard to believe, but it is a 100% guaranteed absolutely true fact. I guess it's all the buzz in the LECOM administration. My girlfriend said all the current post-baccs are going nuts and scrambling to retake the MCAT in August to get above a 24.

Call LECOM and ask someone in administration if you don't believe me.

Anyone know when the admissions committe is meeting next time to discuss the LDP waitlistees?

Corrupt200 said:
Anyone know when the admissions committe is meeting next time to discuss the LDP waitlistees?

Don't know. I am about to count myself out. If they are going straight by MCAT/GPA I am sure there are tons of people that have higher than me.

Cinda actually told me that she would 'go to bat for me and bring up my name', but I don't think that would do anything. I know the waitlist movement has been slow. Very slow. Which is disappointing, I thought alot of people were dropping seats or about to.

Been a rough week coming to terms with not getting in here after all this waiting, but we'll see what happens. :(

drjds said:
Did you not apply to LECOM's post-bacc. program? Why did you decide on PCOM's?

No, I didn't apply to LECOM's post-bacc. program. The reason I only applied to PCOMs was because it is very close so I can live at home and save money on housing. I did it as a back up plan and got in right away so I didn't bother applying to other schools.

ejpcuse said:
No, I didn't apply to LECOM's post-bacc. program. The reason I only applied to PCOMs was because it is very close so I can live at home and save money on housing. I did it as a back up plan and got in right away so I didn't bother applying to other schools.

I can't take this anymore. I don't even understand how LECOM even invited me for an inteview and then waitlisted me, if they are not in the slightest bit interested in me. (NB, I have not been rejected yet)

I don't want to go to grad school again, I'm afraid I will do worse than I did in my previous school. At least in med school there is some stabilty (4 years guaranteed, provided you do welll in COMLEX and courses). And med schools usu make sure their students graduate with medical degrees.

I am ready to waive my white flag.

The worst thing about this waitlist (and also the interview) is that it put a big damper on my travel plans. I wanted to go to Europe this summer, but now I have to postpone it til next year.

Called Cinda again today, and she says there has been a lot of movement this week and it's only Wednesday...but how does it help? I still have not gotten a phone call.

Later she says that my GPA could be a hindrance though my MCAT score is good.

I am totally convinced now that they do not want me. Why did they even invite me for an interview? Why did they even waitlist me, if they were not still interested. They could have rejected me right after the interview!

try not to be bitter..and instead listen to their advice...retake some courses raise your gpa..and apply again...

DrMikeyLu said:
try not to be bitter..and instead listen to their advice...retake some courses raise your gpa..and apply again...

I am going the SUNY buffalo for chemistry grad studies (trying to get my PhD)...I don't think those profs will like it if I bring up the point that I may try for med school. I may not even get decent reccomendations from them.

I don't even know how I will do..I have found that many of the profs i have had in the past are flaky, uncooperative, and ecentric. And the truth is, as soon as these profs get their tenure, they become sooo bad. And they really hate pre-med, med students, or doctors.

PRobably LECOM's idea was, "Let's lead him on. We'll interview him, we'll just not accept him."

DrMikeyLu said:

Should I send an e-mail to the guys who interviewed me? Then again I don't know how well the interview went.

If i were you..i would re-evaluate what you really want to do..if its to become a doctor...Then i would drop the PhD endeavor...and focus on getting into med school.

If getting a PhD is what you've always wanted to do..then you can always go to med school after you get your phD..

Corrupt200 said:
PRobably LECOM's idea was, "Let's lead him on. We'll interview him, we'll just not accept him."

No, I don't think that's what it was. They wouldn't put you on the waiting list if you weren't good enough to a student there; they would, instead, reject you. Keep in mind that there are a lot of people who never even get interviews. Of those who are interviewed, only a few are accepted immediately. Maybe the top half of the people that interviewed with you are accepted, and several more waitlisted. Some will be rejected. Eventually they will have to pull from the waitlist, so at least you have some kind of a chance. If you want to be a physician, hang in there and fight for it. Tenacity often has its advantages.

Well tomorrow is my birthday (22! :)) and getting in would be a great present!

I have still been as active as ever talking to whoever will talk to me! And making my name well known, hopefully in a good way :laugh:. Even been calling the "higher ups" after the letters I have written to follow up. Chances are slimming but I am still hopeful!:oops: I hear the list is now moving (heard this today), and am trying to stay positive.

Thanks everyone for always being there for me over the past almost... wow, yeah almost a year now. Hard to believe! I am going camping with my 20 favorite friends (yes, even though I whine about still being on the waitlist, I am still very lucky). I'll be back here Sunday though, so everyone on SDN have a fab weekend! Someone better be back here Monday with an acceptance from LECOM... *cough* *cough* ({raising my hand})...:laugh:

Good luck to all. :luck:

Jezzielin said:
Well tomorrow is my birthday (22! :)) and getting in would be a great present!

I have still been as active as ever talking to whoever will talk to me! And making my name well known, hopefully in a good way :laugh:. Even been calling the "higher ups" after the letters I have written to follow up. Chances are slimming but I am still hopeful!:oops: I hear the list is now moving (heard this today), and am trying to stay positive.

Thanks everyone for always being there for me over the past almost... wow, yeah almost a year now. Hard to believe! I am going camping with my 20 favorite friends (yes, even though I whine about still being on the waitlist, I am still very lucky). I'll be back here Sunday though, so everyone on SDN have a fab weekend! Someone better be back here Monday with an acceptance from LECOM... *cough* *cough* ({raising my hand})...:laugh:

Good luck to all. :luck:

Happy Birthday!! Tomorrow is actually my 22nd birthday as well. What are the odds? :D

DrWiggles said:
Happy Birthday!! Tomorrow is actually my 22nd birthday as well. What are the odds? :D

:eek: That is wierd! Happy birthday to us! I'd say good luck but you are already in! :smuggrin:...

Just kidding, congrats and have a great birthday! :D

Jezzielin said:
:eek: That is wierd! Happy birthday to us! I'd say good luck but you are already in! :smuggrin:...

Just kidding, congrats and have a great birthday! :D

Thanks! You have a great birthday yourself! And good luck with everything!! If anyone deserves to be called off the waitlist it is definately you Jezz!! I'm really pulling for ya!! :)

For those of you who are still on the wait list, the post bac program at LECOM is still accepting applications. Generally, between 50% and 70% of post bac students are accepted to the LECOM DO school, and you only need a 20 or above on the MCAT to qualify.
Think about it.

Bigg said:
For those of you who are still on the wait list, the post bac program at LECOM is still accepting applications. Generally, between 50% and 70% of post bac students are accepted to the LECOM DO school, and you only need a 20 or above on the MCAT to qualify.
Think about it.

I may think about it...but in the meantime, I may just go back to grad school...I am actually a chemistry major.

5 more business days left...LECOM, I want your verdict, hopefully before Friday, since it takes 2 days to drive to Erie form Boston. I have sacrificed too much to not get an answer from you. I have even prayed. Come to your senses and extend me an offer. I'm not getting any younger here.

scpod said:
No, I don't think that's what it was. They wouldn't put you on the waiting list if you weren't good enough to a student there; they would, instead, reject you. Keep in mind that there are a lot of people who never even get interviews. Of those who are interviewed, only a few are accepted immediately. Maybe the top half of the people that interviewed with you are accepted, and several more waitlisted. Some will be rejected. Eventually they will have to pull from the waitlist, so at least you have some kind of a chance. If you want to be a physician, hang in there and fight for it. Tenacity often has its advantages.

You are right...if my GPA or MCAT was not good enough to be considered, LECOM would not have even invited me for an interview, or waitlisted me. Besides, Cinda has almost nothing to do with the admissions process. She is just giving her opinion, but I don't think she should have been that blunt. Elaine has little to do the the admissions decisions, but I feel better when I talk to her.

Went to the temple yeaterday, at this point I think only God can help. I hope he realizes I have sacrificed so much just to be on the alt. list.

I thought you were buddhist..so apparently temple isnt synonymous for hindu

DrMikeyLu said:
I thought you were buddhist..so apparently temple isnt synonymous for hindu

haha

it could also mean, shintoist. Whatever. I just need the gods to help me out now.