Questions about LizzyM score and etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insecuredude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several questions.

1. Let's say there are two students; one has a 3.6 and 36, and the other has 3.9 and 33. The two have the same LizzyM score, so are the two applicants equal just in terms of stats? Or is one better than the other?

2. Let's say a student has a 3.6 GPA. It's not an ideal GPA to have, but it's not bad. If the student has an exceptionally high MCAT score (somethin like 39, 40), will he/she have a shot at schoools where people with 3.8 and 35 get in?

3. You guys prolly noticed that I've mentioned 3.6 several times. Yes, that is my GPA. I wish I could have a higher GPA, but there's not much I can do at this point.

I struggled a lot in the first two years due to various reasons. Freshman year GPA was 3.6, sophomore year GPA was 3.3, but had a 4.0 in junior year. Do schools like to see the upward trend?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. The LizzyM score is just a rough guide to where you should focus your application efforts, nothing more. Don't take it too seriously. It also breaks down when you're considering an applicant with disparate scores.

2. 3.6 is average for med school matriculants and yes.

3. 3.6 is fine. I would've killed for a 3.4.

4. Yes, schools like upward trends. They might inquire about what happened your sophomore year, though.

high mcat does not make up for lower gpa nor does a high gpa make up for a lower mcat, you gotta have both especially for the top schools.