Questions about Loupes and the Options Offered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistry190

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a first year in dental school and will need to buy loupes within the next year. We had a loupes fair back in September but it was quite overwhelming and I ended up deciding that I wanted to do more research before buying. I had some questions but couldn't find the answers elsewhere, so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some insight.

1. Are flip-ups significantly worse than through the lens? They are generally cheaper, but most, if not all, of the loupes companies at the fair had their TTL models on display. I've heard both pros/cons about flip ups (Can change working angles for different procedures, etc. but they're also heavier and have less field of view), so I'm not sure if TTL models are worth shelling out more money for if their benefits are not significantly better.

2. Are expanded field/Prismatic lenses worth it? They would cost significantly more than the Galilean ones, but they also offer an increased field of view. How important would the increased field of view be?

3. How do you decide which dental headlights are good? I heard Lumadent offers good ones, but is that because of their light intensity/weight/battery life? If so, would it be possible to find cheaper alternatives with similar specs then?

4. From reading other forums/pages, it seems like 3.5x is the sweet spot for magnification. Would you agree with this? 2.5x I heard is too low to make a huge difference.

5. Should I expect to purchase a new pair of loupes after I graduate? I heard that students often end up buying another pair of loupes because by then, after working in clinic, they realize what qualities or magnification they prefer in their loupes.

6. I wear glasses and loupes usually come with the option of an RX insert. However, would it be wiser to wear contacts instead and have a pair of loupes without an RX insert? Interested in hearing what people who wear glasses/contacts have to say.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Spend the money on prismatic TTLs. You’re already paying a lot for dental school. 3.5x.
You can always buy anotherpair before you graduate. And I recommend getting an Rx in your loupes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a first year in dental school and will need to buy loupes within the next year. We had a loupes fair back in September but it was quite overwhelming and I ended up deciding that I wanted to do more research before buying. I had some questions but couldn't find the answers elsewhere, so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some insight.

1. Are flip-ups significantly worse than through the lens? They are generally cheaper, but most, if not all, of the loupes companies at the fair had their TTL models on display. I've heard both pros/cons about flip ups (Can change working angles for different procedures, etc. but they're also heavier and have less field of view), so I'm not sure if TTL models are worth shelling out more money for if their benefits are not significantly better.

2. Are expanded field/Prismatic lenses worth it? They would cost significantly more than the Galilean ones, but they also offer an increased field of view. How important would the increased field of view be?

3. How do you decide which dental headlights are good? I heard Lumadent offers good ones, but is that because of their light intensity/weight/battery life? If so, would it be possible to find cheaper alternatives with similar specs then?

4. From reading other forums/pages, it seems like 3.5x is the sweet spot for magnification. Would you agree with this? 2.5x I heard is too low to make a huge difference.

5. Should I expect to purchase a new pair of loupes after I graduate? I heard that students often end up buying another pair of loupes because by then, after working in clinic, they realize what qualities or magnification they prefer in their loupes.

6. I wear glasses and loupes usually come with the option of an RX insert. However, would it be wiser to wear contacts instead and have a pair of loupes without an RX insert? Interested in hearing what people who wear glasses/contacts have to say.

Thanks for the help!
Whatever you choose keep in mind that you may not be able to wear contacts all the time. With all the dust and irritants in the air eyes often get irritated or allergic reaction develops.
Flip ups give you an option of adjustment. When you starting loupes feel uncomfortable or distance haven't been measured correctly - make sure you have enough time with the rep
I wouldn't recommend Lumadent
Often people buy another pair to take advantage of the student discount and to have a spare