Questions about NJ Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireyDragon

Beach Day is everyday!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I thought I would ask this question under Pharmacy since I don't know if many pharm students check the pre-pharm threads. I was wondering if anyone had information about Rutgers College of Pharmacy. I was wonder how the classes are. I realize studying pharm is challenging but I was wondering whether the students there were competitive towards one another? If you have questions do the professors help you or do they they tell you to learn on your own?

I appreciate any information you guys might have. Thanks in advance.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dragon,

I'm just completing my first semester at Rutgers' pharmacy school. I entered as a transfer student for the first "professional year" or P1, which is the third year of the six year program.

For the most part, the students are not very competitive with one another. There are some exceptions, as I'm sure there are everywhere, but most students are easygoing. The student body is very friendly, casual, and diverse.

As to the professors, some are more willing to help than others. Many professors will refer you to their TAs (teaching assistants) if you have questions about the material. The TAs have time to help you. Most professors will be glad to answer relatively brief questions in their office or by email. A few professors will gladly go through a topic with you one-on-one if you come to them at a convenient time. In general, the professors are not overly-disciplinarian. They are understanding and willing to accomodate your needs.

So far, the classes are challenging and interesting, but not impossibly demanding. For most students, studying 2 hours/day is sufficient to stay on top of all the new material that we learn. Cramming is difficult because you'll get all the similar pieces of information confused if you try to study it all the night bef. the exam.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. From what you describe, it sounds like a good learning environment. I'm waiting for the open house dates to be listed on their website. If I have any more questions I will direct them to you. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey invisigoth, i was wondering what the chances were of transferring into the ernest mario school from say mercer county college. Im sure its possible from what it says at njtransfer.com but just wondering if its either you get in or you dont, or if its like a guaranteed admission program as long as if you meet the requirements.

Just wondering in case i make up my mind of saving money by transferring, or if i simply dont get accepted to rutgers

thanks alot

I think you have to contact Mercer CC about that. I know that getting in as a transfer for the 3rd year is very tough. Only about 20 students are accepted as transfers. I also know that Rutgers has an agreement with Stockton to accept their pre-pharmacy students if they meet GPA requirements. Perhaps they have this sort of agreement with Mercer as well.