Questions about NS

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by Hiyalol, Sep 26, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiyalol

Hiyalol

May 23, 2014
    I am not a medical student yet, still in the process of just getting more ECs but I wanted to know about the family life of a neurosurgeon. But in my situation you may think this is "for the moment" but let's say this is the situation. For me I will not have a family in the future so I'm open to neuro as an option but I am still going to be involved with my friends and their families. I want to know...

1. How many times is a neurosurgeon on-call each week?
    2. For any neurosurgeons out there that are practicing and NOT in residency because I know that in residency they work so much and in practice they do as well but it's not 120-140 hour weeks. Do you see your kids? What about go to their games? Because as an uncle I would like to go visit my friend's family each week sometime but if I go home at 10 PM and wake up at 3:30 AM to go back to work when can I see my own friend's families and spend time with them? I don't require every single day but just maybe 1-2 days in a week to see them and spend a few hours with them. Will this be possible?
    3. How much vacation do you get?
    4. When being on-call I read the next day you are off? So how are you working 80+ hours a week? Work weekends all the time or are you on-call on the weekends?

Appreciate your input to any resident in NS there thanks :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lisi326

lisi326 2+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2011
  4. Hiyalol

Hiyalol

May 23, 2014
  5. typhoonegator

typhoonegator Neurointensivist SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Boston
    Physician
    Closing. Post in the neurosurgery forum if interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.