Questions about NS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiyalol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a medical student yet, still in the process of just getting more ECs but I wanted to know about the family life of a neurosurgeon. But in my situation you may think this is "for the moment" but let's say this is the situation. For me I will not have a family in the future so I'm open to neuro as an option but I am still going to be involved with my friends and their families. I want to know...

1. How many times is a neurosurgeon on-call each week?
2. For any neurosurgeons out there that are practicing and NOT in residency because I know that in residency they work so much and in practice they do as well but it's not 120-140 hour weeks. Do you see your kids? What about go to their games? Because as an uncle I would like to go visit my friend's family each week sometime but if I go home at 10 PM and wake up at 3:30 AM to go back to work when can I see my own friend's families and spend time with them? I don't require every single day but just maybe 1-2 days in a week to see them and spend a few hours with them. Will this be possible?
3. How much vacation do you get?
4. When being on-call I read the next day you are off? So how are you working 80+ hours a week? Work weekends all the time or are you on-call on the weekends?

Appreciate your input to any resident in NS there thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.