Questions about Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member54321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Is NYCPM as crappy as it sounds on this discussion board? I've read that students have to do almost everything on their own because the professors are not that good at the school? If that's the case, wouldn't you rather pay the extra tuition and get the good professors by attending another school?

2. For those of you who attend NYCPM, what would you say are the pros of going there? Cons?(besides housing)

3. For those of you who attend TUSPM, what are the pros and cons of going there? (besides housing)

4. If you would like to obtain a residency/job in NY, would your chances increase if you do well in NYCPM over doing well in TUSPM?

5. How much does a typical podiatrist make after their 3 year residency is over in the NY area? Do most podiatrist go straight into a private practice or work at hospitals? Do they make 100k+? I'm interested in how well off podiatrists are as soon as they are done with residency. I would not want to have debt from podiatry school and only get the financial benefits of it when i am 45-50 years old. Has anyone here shadowed a young podiatrist, possibly 1-3 years out of residency?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is NYCPM as crappy as it sounds on this discussion board? I've read that students have to do almost everything on their own because the professors are not that good at the school? If that's the case, wouldn't you rather pay the extra tuition and get the good professors by attending another school?

2. For those of you who attend NYCPM, what would you say are the pros of going there? Cons?(besides housing)

3. For those of you who attend TUSPM, what are the pros and cons of going there? (besides housing)

4. If you would like to obtain a residency/job in NY, would your chances increase if you do well in NYCPM over doing well in TUSPM?

5. How much does a typical podiatrist make after their 3 year residency is over in the NY area? Do most podiatrist go straight into a private practice or work at hospitals? Do they make 100k+? I'm interested in how well off podiatrists are as soon as they are done with residency. I would not want to have debt from podiatry school and only get the financial benefits of it when i am 45-50 years old. Has anyone here shadowed a young podiatrist, possibly 1-3 years out of residency?

Stopped reading here.+pity+

:beat:

:lock:

Phrasing things this way will lead to nothing productive.........might want to re-word that statement

5. How much does a typical podiatrist make after their 3 year residency is over in the NY area? Do most podiatrist go straight into a private practice or work at hospitals? Do they make 100k+? I'm interested in how well off podiatrists are as soon as they are done with residency. I would not want to have debt from podiatry school and only get the financial benefits of it when i am 45-50 years old. Has anyone here shadowed a young podiatrist, possibly 1-3 years out of residency?Impossible to say, somewhere between $5 and $5 million but nowadays there are NO GUARANTEES in medicine(well, maybe one....paying taxes).....

All of the schools will prepare you for residency. Visit the ones where you could see yourself going, and I guarantee you, one will "click" with you, but all of them give you the tools to succeed, it's up to you to "grab the bull" so to speak...

Every school has pros and cons. I'll tell you from experience that the vast majority of the information you learn isn't learned during lecture. That may be a start, but I do well (generally in the top 10-15% of exams) because I spend about 40-50 hours a week studying the material outside of lecture, not because I go to lecture.

There is such a mass of information that's given to you in the first couple years that your learning is mostly on your own (or groups, whatever). If theres 4 hours of biochem lecture in a week, and you spend 15-20 hours studying a week...do the math. What's more important, the lecturer, or your own motivation and study habits? If you can't learn or study the information without a professor guiding all the steps, this isn't the profession for you (I don't say this to be rude, only to be honest. I don't know if you can or not, and I'm not assuming one way or the other; just telling it like it is)

You might do better to ask this question in the student section. Most of the time when you ask this stuff in the pre-pod area, the thread gets swamped by people who haven't even attended one or the other yet.
Obtaining a specific residency has more to do with the impression that you make when you interview, and during your 4th year rotations. Any residency director appreciates motivated and intelligent people, and equally dislike idiots and slackers. Don't be stupid, and don't be a slacker. Those are more important factors than the school you go to.
You're asking this objective question in an entirely subjective forum. You should search websites that make it their business to find salary information from various professions. Google is your friend.

That being said, no residents make 100k+. 40-50 is more the range you're looking at during residency.