Questions about Pre-Veterinary BA requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetStudent123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have some specific questions that I could not find the answers to and would highly appreciate some input.

I have been attending Cal Poly Pomona for about a year and a half now. I have completed 125 units and 180 is needed to graduate (about 55 units left). However, I spoke with my counselor and he told me that I must complete the curriculum sheet in order to graduate.

Now, when I combine the amount of units on both the curriculum sheet that are needed and the amount I've taken (125) I get a total of 220 units needed to graduate. How is this possible?

My next question is about Western University. My goal is to get into this campus. I have a cummulative of a 3.7 gpa and a 3.4 Cal Poly GPA. I read that you don't neccesarily need your BA to get into Western so what will be needed instead?

Ultimately my question is:

Is the only realistic way to get in to Western or a vet school by completing 1,000 + volunteer hours, complete 180 units and recieve a BA in pre-vet medicine, do this while maintaining a GPA of 3.6 or higher?

Or what are a few tricks of the trade our counselors wont tell us?

Thank you and any sort of input would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been attending Cal Poly Pomona for about a year and a half now. I have completed 125 units and 180 is needed to graduate (about 55 units left). However, I spoke with my counselor and he told me that I must complete the curriculum sheet in order to graduate.

Now, when I combine the amount of units on both the curriculum sheet that are needed and the amount I've taken (125) I get a total of 220 units needed to graduate. How is this possible?

This sounds like a question best answered by your school registrar/administration or your advisor. I may be totally confused but perhaps this "curriculum sheet" is your core requirements that the school requires all grads to have completed. Since you have also done other coursework, it might make sense that your total credit hours will be higher...but I think I might be confused here :)

My next question is about Western University. My goal is to get into this campus. I have a cummulative of a 3.7 gpa and a 3.4 Cal Poly GPA. I read that you don't neccesarily need your BA to get into Western so what will be needed instead?

Also, how many hours do you really need to volunteer before applying to med school?

I am not sure about Western in particular, but I am pretty sure most schools do not require a B.A. (there is a thread about this somewhere recently). You will need to have completed (or plan to complete) all of the pre-requisite coursework set by Western (and any other schools you wish to apply to). Because of the amount of pre-reqs, most people wind up getting a Bachelors but it is entirely possible to complete the pre-reqs in less than four years.

And lastly...i hope you mean vet school, not med school! There are no "set" hours needed, but the more the merrier. Western in particular emphasizes diversity among applicants so if you have the opportunity, explore a variety of fields in vet med. Take a look at the Succesful Applicants Thread c/o 2013 for an idea of how many hours is typical for accepted students.