Questions about prerequisites, deadlines, OAT test dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreOptometryKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've started studying for the OAT and begun to think about the application process. I'm graduating May 2010 and applying for the Fall of 2011.

1) What would be a good time to take the OAT and also what months is the OAT offered?

2) Is there a place that lists all the application deadlines in one place? It would make it much easier... when would be a good time to send that new common app in if I were to apply for Fall 2011?

3) I've started looking at optometry school sites (I've found out how time consuming this can be) and a lot of schools have different prerequisites in terms of courses (one of them had a speech course..), shadowing/recommendations from optometrists etc. Is there a general rule to follow to make sure you are ok on prereqs for most schools?

4) Lastly, I've heard that some schools only take applicants from instate or a limited amount of states. If I'm from MA, which one's can't I apply to?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, you can take your OAT any time, but you have to register for it first, if you not satisfied with your score you can retake it three months later. I took my OAT in late August, make sure that you ready to take it, admission look at every your attempt and your scores, it's better to take it just one time with good scores. You can find all information that you need about deadlines and OAT, just google Association of schools and Colleges of optometry. Good luck!!!

I've started studying for the OAT and begun to think about the application process. I'm graduating May 2010 and applying for the Fall of 2011.

1) What would be a good time to take the OAT and also what months is the OAT offered?

2) Is there a place that lists all the application deadlines in one place? It would make it much easier... when would be a good time to send that new common app in if I were to apply for Fall 2011?

3) I've started looking at optometry school sites (I've found out how time consuming this can be) and a lot of schools have different prerequisites in terms of courses (one of them had a speech course..), shadowing/recommendations from optometrists etc. Is there a general rule to follow to make sure you are ok on prereqs for most schools?

4) Lastly, I've heard that some schools only take applicants from instate or a limited amount of states. If I'm from MA, which one's can't I apply to?

Thanks!:)

See the following link (especially the links within the post): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=610471

1) Take the OAT after you've finished as many pre-reqs as possible and have had a sufficient chance to review material and take practice tests. You should register for the test at least a month or two before you want to take it. (If you apply in July-August, plan to take the test in June/July)

2) DON'T think about application deadlines, because if you're applying even remotely close to the deadline, you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice. Apply as EARLY as you possibly can--essentially one year before you plan on enrolling. The link above does show you where to find the deadlines, though (the link with tuition rates).

3) See the link for general course prereqs. Obviously you should double check prereqs for specific schools once you narrow your list down. A rule of thumb for shadowing and experience: as much as possible that wouldn't distract from the other areas of your application. Most schools don't have a certain number of hours required. Rule of thumb for LORs is 2-3 science professors (who know you well) and an optometrist (who you worked with). Sometimes they want a pre-professional committee instead of the professors though.

4) I believe that Northwestern is the only school that out-right denies students who aren't from certain states. Other schools, like UAB, apparently have negotiated seats by state. However on the whole, most schools aren't like that. I can tell you without a doubt that SUNY, NECO, SCCO, and UCBSO do not consider your state of residence during the application process. As for the rest of the schools, maybe others will be able to help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response.
So if I apply for Fall 2011, it would be a good idea to have my apps and everything done by summer-fall of 2010?
I'm in the process of studying, I was planning on taking it this winter around end of december or january..
Also I'm having trouble finding an optometrist to shadow, I'll keep asking around I guess, but is there a good way to find one that will let you do shadow? A lot of the optometrists here run small shops so it feels like getting in the way of their business.
I'm trying to get recs from science professors, hopefully I can get some by next summer.

Right, if you want to START classes Fall 2011, your application cycle begins summer 2010. The centralized application system will probably open mid July, so you can start sending your application in around that time. The schools are on their own schedules, so they might not begin reviewing applications immediately.

You can start by asking your own optometrist if you can shadow him/her, and branch out from there. When you contact the ODs, ask if you can just do a few days there if you feel they might be overwhelmed by your presence.

As for LORs, if you go to a larger university, it would help to go to office hours to make sure your profs know you.