Questions about St. Georges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need honest opinions here although I don't know what's right or wrong sometimes since everyone has their own opinions. First off, do I have a shot at getting into SGU's? I just got my MCAT scores and I got
PS-11 VR-6 BS-12 Writing-Q. This was my 7th time taking this exam. I voided the exam 3 times in all. My first score was a 23 (this was back in 2000) and I pretty much stayed the same in verbal but went up dramatically in physical sciences and biology.

I have a masters and had a great gpa there but I have a pretty weak undergraduate gpa mainly because of my science gpa(Undergrad gpa is 3.15). I have done lots of research but not so much volunteering (minimal) which I am trying to work on now.

I would like to go into pediatrics (at least I think), would I have a chance at this by going to SGU? The thought of the high amount of debt is really scary. Will I be able to save a lot of money if I found relatives to stay with in NYC during clinical years?

Also what is the housing situation when you get to SGU? Is it possible to get your own place there?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you would gain admission to all 4 of the major Carib schools.
I suggest you consider SABA, much less expensive, same result.

I need honest opinions here although I don't know what's right or wrong sometimes since everyone has their own opinions. First off, do I have a shot at getting into SGU's? I just got my MCAT scores and I got
PS-11 VR-6 BS-12 Writing-Q. This was my 7th time taking this exam. I voided the exam 3 times in all. My first score was a 23 (this was back in 2000) and I pretty much stayed the same in verbal but went up dramatically in physical sciences and biology.

I have a masters degree in biomedical sciences and had a great gpa there but I have a pretty weak undergraduate gpa mainly because of my science gpa(Undergrad gpa is 3.15). I have done lots of research but not so much volunteering (minimal) which I am trying to work on now.

I would like to go into pediatrics (at least I think) and possibly pediatric oncology, would I have a chance at this by going to SGU? The thought of the high amount of debt is really scary. Will I be able to save a lot of money if I found relatives to stay with in NYC during clinical years?

Also what is the housing situation when you get to SGU? Do you share an actual room with someone or is it a suite or something like that? Is it possible to get your own place there?
You should consider DO school before going to the caribbean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I should consider a DO school but at the same time I don't have much clinical experience and I have not shadowed a DO doctor. I would like to apply this year and am worried that these things will hold me back. Unless I can apply in September or something and still have a good shot at getting into a DO school? Plus, some of my undergrad grades are not good and I don't know if I have the time and money at this point to repeat them. So, I guess I don't know what I should do. If I was younger this wouldn't be an issue but I'm non-trad. so things are weighing so heavily upon me right now.

My advice would be to cross-apply to DO schools and the best 3 or so Caribbean schools, and try applying to all your state MD schools as well (unlikely to get in with your GPA and the 6 verbal score and lack of volunteering,but may be worthwhile to try anyway).
-find 2 DO doctors to shadow in the next couple of months...just do enough to say you know something about osteopathic medicine. You should be able to find one - just be proactive. Call your local medical society (in your city or county) and see if they have suggestions.
-find a clinical volunteer job in a hospital ASAP
-forget about the MCAT; if you took it that many times your score is probably not going to come up. However, the verbal score makes me worry about your reading speed and comprehension a little - these skills are important for med school, so I'd work on them, perhaps by reading more nonscience stuff (sounds weird I know but even newspapers, novels, etc. can teach you vocabulary, reading comp, etc.). Maybe if you're more of a science person, you don't like reading or you learn better by some other method (such as directly "doing" stuff), but reading and digesting mass quantities of info is a big part of med school.
-I would suggest taking 1 class at a time (such as 1 in summer school, 1 next fall, 1 next spring), such as upper level undergrad biology or something
-start working on your personal statement and the rest of your application right now and get it in early for the US schools

I have a masters and had a great gpa there but I have a pretty weak undergraduate gpa mainly because of my science gpa(Undergrad gpa is 3.15). I have done lots of research but not so much volunteering (minimal) which I am trying to work on now.

I would like to go into pediatrics (at least I think), would I have a chance at this by going to SGU? The thought of the high amount of debt is really scary. Will I be able to save a lot of money if I found relatives to stay with in NYC during clinical years?

Also what is the housing situation when you get to SGU? Is it possible to get your own place there?

Hi, I think you should go ahead and apply for SGU because no matter what advise you get it is not the same as when you apply and the admission committee reviews your credentials and your application. As for the housing you are required to stay on campus for your first term( there is plenty of on campus housing) after first term if you decide to move off campus you can do so or you can enter the lottery system and find housing, majority of students who enter the lottery will stay on campus.

Hope this helps.

I think you would gain admission to all 4 of the major Carib schools.
I suggest you consider SABA, much less expensive, same result.

Yeah Saba is the best bang for the buck... 50 states and high scores..