Questions about statement of purpose from a non-trad w/ ugly grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CareerSwitcheroo

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I posted the below narrative in the thread for the U of St. Augustine cohort I'm applying to but think it might be suitable to ask a more general audience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Curious to know if you guys think I can/should use the statement as an opportunity to explain my awful undergrad grades, even though it's old news and I graduated 7 years ago. It's just that they're THAT bad (like several Fs/Ds on my transcript and below a 2.5 gpa); I feel like it would raise a lot of questions. I don't have any concrete reasons other than I was sheltered/depressed in my adolescence and really should have taken a break before starting college and wasn't mentally prepared to put energy towards schooling. In the end I made it out strong though. I'm a non-trad applicant with a non-relevant background (IT). I took all my prereqs over the past year though and have done mostly fine in those. I've started writing my essay and my first page is comprised of a lot of "lead-up" to answering the "why PT" question (talking about my strengths and interests growing up - not yet PT-related). Basically I plan on the essay flowing like this: have always loved connecting with people -> found an affinity for technology growing up -> entered college but wasn't ready -> stuck it out anyway and came out strong -> worked in IT and had a successful career -> realized I miss developing those connections with people -> made the decision to change careers, and so on, to answering the question... Do you guys think that's too much irrelevant lead-up and I'm not getting to the point fast enough? I'm trying to make the story come back full circle if you know what I mean. Sorry for the wall of text - I'm having a little anxiety right now haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
?

USA is actually on PTCAS right now. I have them on in my pool of schools I am applying to (Austin, Tx)
 
?

USA is actually on PTCAS right now. I have them on in my pool of schools I am applying to (Austin, Tx)

I think starting next app cycle they will be switching to it officially. They are accepting PTCAS appliations for their Flex program now, but I have chosen to continue using USA's system to submit my app next month (you have the choice to use either).