Questions about the profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldD1student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Sdn pods.

I have a few questions about pod school.

1. how many students didn't get residencies from this class? The previous thread from this sdn board mentioned around 40, while another pod student in one pod school mentioned somewhere around 100-110 students from class of 2014.

2. I have been following this board for a while, but I was wondering. Is there anything concrete that a pod student can do to ensure he or she gets a residency? ( I will be graduating in class of 2018.)

3. I know this point has been explained by many pod students/ former pod students, but as for the pod students that haven't matched, do sdn pod students think it's because that their grades/ hard work does not pay off or is it because of another reason?

I have been debating whether to start student loans and start my position as a pod student in the fall versus starting fresh in another career like comp science or accounting.

thanks sdners

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. how many students didn't get residencies from this class? The previous thread from this sdn board mentioned around 40, while another pod student in one pod school mentioned somewhere around 100-110 students from class of 2014.

2. I have been following this board for a while, but I was wondering. Is there anything concrete that a pod student can do to ensure he or she gets a residency? ( I will be graduating in class of 2018.)

3. I know this point has been explained by many pod students/ former pod students, but as for the pod students that haven't matched, do sdn pod students think it's because that their grades/ hard work does not pay off or is it because of another reason?

1. The student you spoke with was wrong. There were as many residency spots as there were 2014 grads but because of the shortage rollover from last year, there was still a shortage. I haven't seen final numbers but it will be 40-50 from 2014 that don't have a spot, with a majority of 2013'ers who re-entered the match getting a spot this year.

2. Develop a good work ethic from day 1 and get good grades. That will make sure you haven't lost any opportunities when it comes to clerkships. Once you're out in 4th year, be likeable and teachable. Without a shortage that will guarantee you a spot somewhere. With some smaller class sizes prior to your potential graduating class, and programs being added at a fairly aggressive rate, I would be surprised if there is a shortage in 2018 but nobody can say for sure.

3. With the shortage the last 2 years there have certainly been outliers, students who you are very surprised didn't get a spot. But a majority of them are not terribly surprising for one reason or another.

1. The student you spoke with was wrong. There were as many residency spots as there were 2014 grads but because of the shortage rollover from last year, there was still a shortage. I haven't seen final numbers but it will be 40-50 from 2014 that don't have a spot, with a majority of 2013'ers who re-entered the match getting a spot this year.

2. Develop a good work ethic from day 1 and get good grades. That will make sure you haven't lost any opportunities when it comes to clerkships. Once you're out in 4th year, be likeable and teachable. Without a shortage that will guarantee you a spot somewhere. With some smaller class sizes prior to your potential graduating class, and programs being added at a fairly aggressive rate, I would be surprised if there is a shortage in 2018 but nobody can say for sure.

3. With the shortage the last 2 years there have certainly been outliers, students who you are very surprised didn't get a spot. But a majority of them are not terribly surprising for one reason or another.

well dtrack22, these answers are really re-assuring. I guess podiatry is still a strong profession then, despite the doom and gloom I read from PM News or from other students or that other posting in the pod residents forum about the residency shortage being a "structural deficit" rather than a short term deficit.

one more question, how many people from the class of 2014 total from all of the podiatry schools