Iatro

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2012
Status
For those that have purchased access to the data, under admissions information tab, there is a section entitled "minority applicants." I am interested if anyone knows how they define this category. I am assuming it includes blacks, hispanics, and aboriginal populations, but does it also include asians as well? Is "minority applicants" synonymous with non-white applicants? Judging from the rest of the data, Minority applicant seems to be distinguished with URM applicant. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 17, 2013
Status
For those that have purchased access to the data, under admissions information tab, there is a section entitled "minority applicants." I am interested if anyone knows how they define this category. I am assuming it includes blacks, hispanics, and aboriginal populations, but does it also include asians as well? Is "minority applicants" synonymous with non-white applicants? Judging from the rest of the data, Minority applicant seems to be distinguished with URM applicant. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Most likely, US news uses what each individual school uses to categorize URM applicants. However on the actual AMCAS application, it asks you to choose whether you are an URM applicant. So that data from your AMCAS application is relayed to the medical schools, then when the medical schools send data to US News, it is represented as how the schools organizes the data for URMs.

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong?