Questions About WesternU's Podiatric Medicine Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WesternU Adm

Admissions Rep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is Marie and I work in the Admissions Office at Western University of Health Sciences (WesternU). Now that the new application cycle is underway, I want to let you know that I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about our program or the application process in general. I'll do my best to provide you with honest and helpful feedback. You can post your question here, send me a private message or just email me.

Application Tip...
It is very important that you include your AAMC ID number on your AACPMAS application so your scores will match up once they are released. Also don't forget to release your scores to AACPMAS. Several applicants had issues with this during the last application cycle.

Best of luck to you!

Marie
Admissions Office
WesternU College of Podiatric Medicine
http://prospective.westernu.edu/podiatry/welcome

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Marie,

I was wondering what was the state board pass rate?

I know that our students who finished their 2nd year just recently took Part I of the boards. I will touch base with the college to see if results are available and post another reply when I find out.

Have a great day!
Marie

Hello Marie,

I was wondering what was the state board pass rate?

Members don't see this ad :)
My name is Marie and I work in the Admissions Office at Western University of Health Sciences (WesternU). Now that the new application cycle is underway, I want to let you know that I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about our program or the application process in general. I'll do my best to provide you with honest and helpful feedback. You can post your question here, send me a private message or just email me.

Application Tip...
It is very important that you include your AAMC ID number on your AACPMAS application so your scores will match up once they are released. Also don't forget to release your scores to AACPMAS. Several applicants had issues with this during the last application cycle.

Best of luck to you!

Marie
Admissions Office
WesternU College of Podiatric Medicine
http://prospective.westernu.edu/podiatry/welcome

Hello Marie,

I am very interested in WesternU's DPM program, but I wanted to know what the possible worst case scenario would be if the CPME accreditation did not come through? What kinds of consequences may your graduates face in that situation?

It seems highly unlikely that the program would be denied accreditation, but as a prospective applicant that will be starting in the Fall of 2012 (if accepted,) I'd like to get the reality of the situation.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your question. We are confident that we will obtain full accreditation. The accreditation process includes several stages at which point the CPME is in contact with the school to confirm they are proceeding with their plan, etc. Should any concerns arise, the CPME will inform the school and the school can then make the necessary adjustments. In the extremely unlikely event that we were denied full accreditation, the CPME and WesternU would make every effort to help enrolled students transfer to other accredited schools & colleges of podiatric medicine.

You can read more about the accreditation process at http://www.westernu.edu/podiatry-accreditation.

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Marie
[email protected]

Hello Marie,

I am very interested in WesternU's DPM program, but I wanted to know what the possible worst case scenario would be if the CPME accreditation did not come through? What kinds of consequences may your graduates face in that situation?

It seems highly unlikely that the program would be denied accreditation, but as a prospective applicant that will be starting in the Fall of 2012 (if accepted,) I'd like to get the reality of the situation.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

This is proving to be very helpful, thank you for starting this thread!

I recently was granted an interview with Western, and I am extremely excited. I'm sure I will have an opportunity to ask more detailed questions during my interview, but I was wondering if any information or statistics are in for your student board pass rates? I'm not sure what the timeline on this is, but any insight would be appreciated.

Congratulations on being selected for an interview. I checked with the college and learned that we should be receiving official board results any time now. Once they are available, I'll post more info here.

Best wishes,
Marie

This is proving to be very helpful, thank you for starting this thread!

I recently was granted an interview with Western, and I am extremely excited. I'm sure I will have an opportunity to ask more detailed questions during my interview, but I was wondering if any information or statistics are in for your student board pass rates? I'm not sure what the timeline on this is, but any insight would be appreciated.

I am interested in Western U's Podiatry program as well. Is preference given based on geographical region?

Hi,

Im a Canadian (Chinese) interested in pursuing a degree in podiatric medicine in the near future and wanted to inquire about the number of international students accepted to be part of the Marticulating class. Are there particular req for international students

Hi,

Im a Canadian (Chinese) interested in pursuing a degree in podiatric medicine in the near future and wanted to inquire about the number of international students accepted to be part of the Marticulating class. Are there particular req for international students

If you have the stats to get in and do well on the interview, they accept you. That's the bottom line.

Since we are a private university, there is no preference given based on where you live.

Best wishes,
Marie

I am interested in Western U's Podiatry program as well. Is preference given based on geographical region?

We do not limit the number of international students. The admissions requirements are the same with the exception that if you have taken coursework outside the U.S. or Canada, that coursework must be evaluated by an approved service (approved services are listed on our web site at http://prospective.westernu.edu/podiatry/foreign). Our admissions requirements can be viewed at http://prospective.westernu.edu/podiatry/requirements.

Best wishes,
Marie

Hi,

I just received the below message from Dr. Harkless and felt it important to pass it on.

[SIZE=+0]"It is with enthusiasm that I announce that our inaugural class, DPM 2013, has achieved a 100% pass rate on Part I of the American Podiatric Medical Licensing Exam (APMLE) as of October 27, 2011. We were informed that this is only the second time in the history of the exam that a college has attained this pass rate. This achievement validates the curricular innovations that were implemented emphasizing case based learning, critical thinking skills, life-long learning and humanism.

This achievement is a testament to the students and faculty for their hard work, cooperation, communication, mutual respect and trust, working together in a team effort toward excellence.

Please join me in congratulating them in their accomplishment!"

As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our program.

Marie
WesternU Admissions[/SIZE]

Members don't see this ad :)
From the interview thread:

3. Board pass rates were within the National average for their 3rd year students. (Dr. Harkless admitted that he hoped for better, and is working on what can be improved.)

I'll be entering my feedback to the link at the top of the page, but if you have any specific questions, just ask! :)

Good luck to everyone!

From APMLE Part I Scores thread:

Western had 83% pass.

I'm kinda confused because the numbers don't match up here. Am I correct in assuming that 83% was the 1st time rate and 100% is the ultimate pass rate factoring in retakes?

EDIT: Not trying to take away from the announcement in any way! Congrats to the class of 2013 at Western on their accomplishment :)

Yes, I am waiting for confirmation from Dr. Harkless, but I believe that is correct.

I just received the below message from Dr. Harkless and felt it important to pass it on.

[SIZE=-0]"It is with enthusiasm that I announce that our inaugural class, DPM 2013, has achieved a 100% pass rate on Part I of the American Podiatric Medical Licensing Exam (APMLE) as of October 27, 2011. We were informed that this is only the second time in the history of the exam that a college has attained this pass rate. This achievement validates the curricular innovations that were implemented emphasizing case based learning, critical thinking skills, life-long learning and humanism.[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-0]

This achievement is a testament to the students and faculty for their hard work, cooperation, communication, mutual respect and trust, working together in a team effort toward excellence.

As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our program.

Marie

Nice use of semantics? I guess this years DMU class was the 1st? This is the first year of the "APMLE" so yeah, I guess you can say it like that. But I think it is incredibly misleading. Regardless, congrats to Western. Maybe not people can stop complaining how hard it is there.

Wow nice catch there airbud...totally slipped my mind about that haha

We were informed that this is only the second time in the history of the exam that a college has attained this pass rate.

I was a little confused by this as well, along with others at Western. I'm not one to remember board pass rates and stats like that but, have other colleges besides AzPOD achieved a 100% part 1 pass rate before this year?? Maybe they meant only 2nd time an inaugural class had 100%?? Not sure...

If I had to guess I'd say it's referring strictly to the new APMLE this year, where DMU and Western are apparently the two schools to get 100% final pass rate (according to SDN)? Correct me if I'm wrong. Funny way to word it I agree.

Last edited:
Did you just throw down a quadruple negative???:eek:

oregon.jpg

lrg.jpg

I was a little confused by this as well, along with others at Western. I'm not one to remember board pass rates and stats like that but, have other colleges besides AzPOD achieved a 100% part 1 pass rate before this year?? Maybe they meant only 2nd time an inaugural class had 100%?? Not sure...

yes, plenty of schools plenty of times. It is nothing more than propoganda that diminishes the very worthwhile accomplishment of your class. Regardless, as I said before, congrats to your class.

Edit: If it is the case you present, then I am wrong and I apologize, but it is still deceiving and unnecessary.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what deems you eligible for Western's early start program (I think they have a name for it, but I forgot?) It's where you can take Gross Anatomy in 6 weeks over the summer, then you have an opportunity to TA for the Fall.

Any insight from current students, or somebody that knows more would be helpful!

Does anybody know what deems you eligible for Western's early start program (I think they have a name for it, but I forgot?) It's where you can take Gross Anatomy in 6 weeks over the summer, then you have an opportunity to TA for the Fall.

Any insight from current students, or somebody that knows more would be helpful!

It's called ISAC -Intensive Summer Anatomy Course. You have to be invited. For the classes of 2013 and 2014 only one student per class has done it. Not sure if it is just limited to one student per year though.

It's called ISAC -Intensive Summer Anatomy Course. You have to be invited. For the classes of 2013 and 2014 only one student per class has done it. Not sure if it is just limited to one student per year though.

Ah, I see. Thank you!

Have you already taken anatomy?

If not I strongly recommend you avoid this. Maybe you can handle the course load, but 6 weeks seems barely enough time for 2 exams, much less 4 (or however many there are at Western).

[SIZE=+0]"It is with enthusiasm that I announce that our inaugural class, DPM 2013, has achieved a 100% pass rate on Part I of the American Podiatric Medical Licensing Exam (APMLE) as of October 27, 2011. We were informed that this is only the second time in the history of the exam that a college has attained this pass rate. This achievement validates the curricular innovations that were implemented emphasizing case based learning, critical thinking skills, life-long learning and humanism.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+0]This achievement is a testament to the students and faculty for their hard work, cooperation, communication, mutual respect and trust, working together in a team effort toward excellence.

Marie

The dean needs to amend this inaccuracy. Many of the colleges on many occasions have achieved a 100% pass rate for the exam cycle. Possibly he meant only the second new school as Midwestern would have been the first. After that you need to go back to the early 80's when DMU and Barry were added. Nonetheless it is a very good outcome.

Have you already taken anatomy?

If not I strongly recommend you avoid this. Maybe you can handle the course load, but 6 weeks seems barely enough time for 2 exams, much less 4 (or however many there are at Western).

Yes, I've taken anatomy. Would it really be that much more intense than having to take it over the fall PLUS all your other classes? Just seems convenient, but what do I know.

Yes, I've taken anatomy. Would it really be that much more intense than having to take it over the fall PLUS all your other classes? Just seems convenient, but what do I know.

There really are no other classes besides anatomy in the fall. Just PMP and ECM once a week.

The summer program is in a shorter time frame.

Yes, it would be that much more intense because you have to learn the same amount of info in a much shorter period of time. In our vet school, students in the 4 yr program took it over the summer in 6 weeks and the 5 yr program (norm in Europe) had 4 months. We got to do more actual dissections, whereas the summer course you looked at prosected specimens a LOT. A totally different way of learning, imo. I much prefer doing the dissection and finding the nerve, muscle, artery, etc myself rather than having it done for me and just studying it.

I would check with the school and see what the major differences are between the summer and fall courses. Almost all of the students i spoke to that took it over the summer wish they had the full course and felt like they got the short end of the stick. And, in vet med, you get more opportunties in other years to do your comparative anatomy (cat, horse, ox leg, sheep's head, etc), whereas in pod, you typically just do general and then lower.

Plus, learning anatomy with other students in your class is a great bonding experience and most likely will be a major part of forming those new, concrete relationships with your classmates. Unless you've already had anatomy with a full dissection of a cadaver, I'd stick with the fall course. Just my .02

Yes, it would be that much more intense because you have to learn the same amount of info in a much shorter period of time. In our vet school, students in the 4 yr program took it over the summer in 6 weeks and the 5 yr program (norm in Europe) had 4 months. We got to do more actual dissections, whereas the summer course you looked at prosected specimens a LOT. A totally different way of learning, imo. I much prefer doing the dissection and finding the nerve, muscle, artery, etc myself rather than having it done for me and just studying it.

I would check with the school and see what the major differences are between the summer and fall courses. Almost all of the students i spoke to that took it over the summer wish they had the full course and felt like they got the short end of the stick. And, in vet med, you get more opportunties in other years to do your comparative anatomy (cat, horse, ox leg, sheep's head, etc), whereas in pod, you typically just do general and then lower.

Plus, learning anatomy with other students in your class is a great bonding experience and most likely will be a major part of forming those new, concrete relationships with your classmates. Unless you've already had anatomy with a full dissection of a cadaver, I'd stick with the fall course. Just my .02

That makes sense. I wonder how it would compare to Western. The bonding part is very true! Thanks for your input. :)

It's a tough transition, going from being able to generally expect being in the top of your class to being expected to perform well in much harder classes.

I don't say this in any way to belittle your efforts in undergrad, but the differences aren't subtle. It's a different league. You're expected to learn more, faster, and in more depth than you have before.

Maybe not, and your undergrad anatomy was extremely competitive, but I'm saying this as someone who was always at the top of his class in a highly-respected science-heavy University that all of a sudden had to triple his efforts (or more) to maintain the same position in my graduate class.

I never really believed anyone when they told me the intensity of the program, but it's...intense.

You definitely have a leg up on people who've never touched anatomy, but I know I would have a lot more trouble in a 6 week course than a semester long course of the same subject. Gross Anatomy ain't no picnic.

The regular gross anatomy course is only 8 weeks to begin with at Western. I took several different anatomy courses in undergrad and still had to work like crazy to get through gross here. It is your 1st class in the big leagues and you're not accustomed to the speed at which things move so it is a bit of a shock (or it is to most of us anyway).

Condensing it down even further would be really tough- but obviously not impossible. And like was already said, you have to be invited to do it. Basically the faculty picks who they believe is the top incoming student to represent the College of Podiatric Medicine for the ISAC program.

The regular gross anatomy course is only 8 weeks to begin with at Western. I took several different anatomy courses in undergrad and still had to work like crazy to get through gross here. It is your 1st class in the big leagues and you're not accustomed to the speed at which things move so it is a bit of a shock (or it is to most of us anyway).

Condensing it down even further would be really tough- but obviously not impossible. And like was already said, you have to be invited to do it. Basically the faculty picks who they believe is the top incoming student to represent the College of Podiatric Medicine for the ISAC program.

Of course, it's medical school. I've heard from doctors that medical school isn't difficult, content-wise, but it's a lot of information to take in...like drinking water from a fire hose. I was just curious about the program. I've taken summer courses in undergrad (not that I'm comparing) and I like having only one subject to focus on, especially those that I need to put more effort into. I appreciate the insigt and helping me put things into perspective.

One more question I have: How many people are assigned to one cadaver?

"like drinking water from a fire hose"

To me, that's how exactly how it feels like. I'm looking forward to the day when someone shuts it off. hahahah

I'm not exactly sure you have to be individually picked to do ISAC, I thought everyone who wanted to do it got the chance. I could be wrong. My advice is to do ISAC if you have nothing plan that summer and want to adjust to the level of difficulty. Gross anatomy is kinda a intro to medical school and it only gets harder. Wait until you get to IDIT or Neuro because you're going to think anatomy was a cake walk.

Of course, it's medical school. I've heard from doctors that medical school isn't difficult, content-wise, but it's a lot of information to take in...like drinking water from a fire hose. I was just curious about the program. I've taken summer courses in undergrad (not that I'm comparing) and I like having only one subject to focus on, especially those that I need to put more effort into. I appreciate the insigt and helping me put things into perspective.

One more question I have: How many people are assigned to one cadaver?

There are 8 people assigned to a cadaver. The 8 are split up into two groups (A and B) and you alternate days doing dissection. The days you don't dissect, you go into lab for the final 20 minutes or so and one of the group members stays behind and goes through the dissection they did with you. For example: on Monday, group A dissects from 8-11:30. All of group A except for one person leaves at 11:30. At 11:30, group B members come in (optional) and the member from group A that stayed behind goes over the dissection with the members from group B. Tuesday, group B dissects from 8-11:30 and so on. Lab groups consist of Pod, DO, and DMD but the DMDs leave lab after the second exam when we get to the lower extremity so it leaves 3 group members per day.

You will have 3 in-lab pop quizzes administered by your TA on your cadaver for a total of 9 points. Lab practicals are on the same day as lecture exams and consist of 25 questions if I remember correctly. You get a minute at each station to identify the structure marked on a cadaver or body part or cross section or the Xray, or whatever else they may dream up. And trust me, they come up with some creative ways to disguise things:D

Your Lab and lecture grades are combined for 1 overall Gross Anatomy grade.

As far as how ISAC is set up- I don't know;)

"like drinking water from a fire hose"

To me, that's how exactly how it feels like. I'm looking forward to the day when someone shuts it off. hahahah

I'm not exactly sure you have to be individually picked to do ISAC, I thought everyone who wanted to do it got the chance. I could be wrong. My advice is to do ISAC if you have nothing plan that summer and want to adjust to the level of difficulty. Gross anatomy is kinda a intro to medical school and it only gets harder. Wait until you get to IDIT or Neuro because you're going to think anatomy was a cake walk.

I've already graduated, so I'm taking a whole year off. Getting into this program may be helpful, or I can see it going horribly wrong as well. Haha. I wish there was a way to shadow an anatomy class at Western just to get a better idea of what I'll be facing day by day.

The
re are 8 people assigned to a cadaver. The 8 are split up into two groups (A and B) and you alternate days doing dissection. The days you don't dissect, you go into lab for the final 20 minutes or so and one of the group members stays behind and goes through the dissection they did with you. For example: on Monday, group A dissects from 8-11:30. All of group A except for one person leaves at 11:30. At 11:30, group B members come in (optional) and the member from group A that stayed behind goes over the dissection with the members from group B. Tuesday, group B dissects from 8-11:30 and so on. Lab groups consist of Pod, DO, and DMD but the DMDs leave lab after the second exam when we get to the lower extremity so it leaves 3 group members per day.

You will have 3 in-lab pop quizzes administered by your TA on your cadaver for a total of 9 points. Lab practicals are on the same day as lecture exams and consist of 25 questions if I remember correctly. You get a minute at each station to identify the structure marked on a cadaver or body part or cross section or the Xray, or whatever else they may dream up. And trust me, they come up with some creative ways to disguise things:D

Your Lab and lecture grades are combined for 1 overall Gross Anatomy grade.

As far as how ISAC is set up- I don't know;)

8 people per cadaver seems like a lot. Do you feel it leaves students at a disadvantage? This is another reason I've been intriged by the ISAC program; there may be less people per cadaver?

Also, if the ISAC program allows someone to be a TA for the fall, I think tht would be a great opportunity to really solidify what one has learned. I'm a TA for a few biology labs at my university, and I can completely relate to the notion that you don't really know something well enough until you can teach it to others.

Thank you guys again for continuing the discussion! :)

Unfortunately anatomy is done for the year so shadowing is out the window.
As far as that being too many people per body.... I never found it to be a problem. A complete body dissection in the amount of detail in which you have to do it takes a long time and the more people working the better. You can also visit other tables to look at their specimens if they have a nice one.

If it is something you are really interested in, shoot an email to CPM and express your interest. Maybe they can get you in contact with the pod students that have done the ISAC program to get their prospective. I don't know who has the ultimate decision on picking the student that does it but getting your name out there as being interested may help your chances.

I like the fire-hose analogy.

I've heard it described as being a paper cup underneath a water-fall.

Even if you're one of those fancy wax-lined ones...it's tough.

How long do they take to tell you if you are accepted or not?

How long do they take to tell you if you are accepted or not?

Accepted to the DPM program? I interviewed on a Thursday and got an acceptance notification via email the following Monday. Officially, the admissions staff said it could take up to two weeks, depending on how many applicants they were interviewing. Good luck!!

Just thought I'd share this. I found it in the DO threads specifically for Western. If anyone else has a little more insight about the ISAC program, pros vs. cons, etc., please share! Still not sure how a podiatry student would be invited. I hear if you get your name out to the right people, you have a good chance of getting in.

Hey,
I did ISAC last year and I have to say it was one of the best decisions I made. Being a facilitator was great because we got to review what we learned over the summer. Honestly, we didn't do any prosections. However, we did put on the mock practicals for the students so that they could quiz themselves before exams. Don't worry about time, because when the fall starts all you have is time. The thing about Gross Anatomy is that if you take it in the fall you only dissect half of the labs, but in ISAC you dissect every lab and there is a much smaller class for more attention. And then when the Fall starts you are already in the groove and have a lot of free time to start participating in clubs or service projects while everyone else is freaking out about anatomy. We had a few three day weekends because there were anatomy tests on mondays that we didn't have to go to. I am not saying ISAC was easy, because it wasn't, but it was definitely a better way to learn for me personally. Whether you take it in the summer or fall it takes adjustment to start studying for med school and this way its the only class you have to focus on.

You seem like you have had a good year off so it would probably be great for you. I did it because I really didn't want to work at my job anymore, but for anyone else if its between ISAC and traveling --- travel. At this point I feel like I've been at school forever (2 months longer than the fall people), but it was worth it. Finally, you just take more out in loans to live off of (no more tuition) and get a check earlier. Don't worry about the money. For the other summer program that isn't for credit you can't take out loans until the Fall.

Wow, I totally rambled... guess I don't want to study neuro, hope it helps tho

Hello,

I took a tour of WesternU this past Tuesday and believe this is the school I would like to attend in the next couple years (once I get the pre-reqs out of the way). However, I do know that the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME) has still not granted full accrediation, should I be worried about it?

Thanks

Hello,

I took a tour of WesternU this past Tuesday and believe this is the school I would like to attend in the next couple years (once I get the pre-reqs out of the way). However, I do know that the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME) has still not granted full accrediation, should I be worried about it?

Thanks

You shouldn't worry. The only reason they haven't been granted CPME accredidation is because the program is brand new and their first class won't graduate until 2012. In order to obtain that accredidation, the school needs to have all four years of the program filled. I believe the accredidation procedure is going on now, and they should know the results soon. You'll definitely know the result of this before you even apply.