Questions asked at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohderm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am sure this has been discussed in the past, but for those who have interviewed in previous years were there any questions that caught you off guard? Any specific questions that came up over and over?

Interviews start this week for me and I was just getting alittle nervous I guess.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

why do you want to do dermatology
tell me about yourself

Seriously? :thumbdown:

Pick up any job interview book; derm interviews are not that different. Practice and rehearse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? :thumbdown:

Pick up any job interview book; derm interviews are not that different. Practice and rehearse.

What a jerk-off. Please let me know what program you're at so I can skip that interview.

My most off-the-wall question so far was what reality show would you be on and how would you win.

What a jerk-off. Please let me know what program you're at so I can skip that interview.

My most off-the-wall question so far was what reality show would you be on and how would you win.

At a derm interview or a prelim interview?

Got the same.

Others:
If you could have any super power, what would it be? Would you use it for good or evil?

The cake:
Let's say you were nominated treasury czar, how would you balance the national budget? If those ideas don't work, would you hesitate to raise taxes?

"ask me a question about something that was on my door"

"prove to me that you're an inquisitive person"

"tell me something embarrassing about yourself"

"what kind of cereal would you be"

etc, etc

in my experience on any given interview day (when you interview with 6-12 people) you tend to get just a few curveball questions like this.

Thanks for the replies. These are helpful. Some of these would never have crossed my mind even if I bought the interview book published by sensitive skin. :)

I'll be more helpful:

Which 3 people would you invite to dinner and why?

What is your greatest accomplishment other than what you have written on your CV?

Tell me something interesting about yourself that you have not mentioned on your CV.

Tell me about an interesting summer job.

Why wouldn't you go into private practice? (this one is tricky)

Where have you received interviews? And how would you rank these programs? (I kid you not.)

Get ready to be nitpicked on your research or grilled on "hobbies" you have listed on your interests. It's easy to say but hard to remember: DO NOT BULLS#!T.

And my advice about picking up an interview book still stands.

More:

Who is your greatest derm idol and why?

Please summarize the last derm article you've read and how you think you can apply it.

What fellowship would you consider pursuing and why? (careful, mohs and cosmetics wannabes)

What journals do you read in your spare time?

The most important thing for facing an interview is your self confidence. It is the most important thing that is being checked there. Regarding the matter most of the persons know but try to make yourself different from others. The uniqueness is the thing what mostly is demanded today.

Last edited:
How do you keep up to date with current events?

What do you read in your spare time?

What newspaper do you read?

Where else are you interviewing?

How many applicants are applying from your school. Why should we choose you over them? How many interviews do you have?

Who funded your research?

Get ready to be nitpicked on your research or grilled on "hobbies" you have listed on your interests. It's easy to say but hard to remember: DO NOT BULLS#!T.

Agreed. I know several places that conducted interviews in Spanish for those who listed it as a 2nd language. Scores of NFL games, injuries of players from your "favorite team" - obviously if these are shared interests/hobbies of the faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I know several places that conducted interviews in Spanish for those who listed it as a 2nd language. Scores of NFL games, injuries of players from your "favorite team" - obviously if these are shared interests/hobbies of the faculty.

On a similar "note": Someone on faculty at Henry Ford is a violinist and made one of the applicants perform a duet with him (succeeded). At Baylor someone bulls#itted about being able to play piano and could not perform anything for one of the faculty who was a pianist.

Ditto on the 2nd language thing.

Dang... in that case, could I put video games? You think that is too immature? It would be a fun showdown if they did call me on it at least.

How would your obituary read? (cringe, but I was actually asked this)

Tell me about a situation in which you were faced with an ethical dilemma and how you overcame this challenge.

If you were given $10,000 right now, what would you do with it?

Tell me about yourself in 2 minutes.

Summarize your CV in one sentence. (I kid you not!)

Tell us an embarrassing story. ("us" being faculty, chiefs, and other interviewees)

What would your worst enemy say about you?

How do you feel about cosmetics?

Prove to me that you're not interested in the field solely b/c of the hours/compensation.

How do you keep up to date with current events?

What do you read in your spare time?

What newspaper do you read?

Where else are you interviewing?

How many applicants are applying from your school. Why should we choose you over them? How many interviews do you have?

Who funded your research?

How are you supposed to answer that question - "where else are you interviewing?" Seems potentially tricky. You don't want to look like a superstar with a million interviews that they shouldn't bother ranking (ok, so that's not exactly my problem), but you also don't want to look like you aren't a solid sought-after candidate...

Last edited:
How are you supposed to answer that question - "where else are you interviewing?" Seems potentially tricky. You don't want to look like a superstar with a million interviews that they shouldn't bother ranking (ok, so that's not exactly my problem), but you also don't want to look like you aren't a solid sought-after candidate...

i agree, it's a really tricky question. the way i answered it was i would tell them i'm interviewing at programs comparable to the program i was interviewing at.

if faculty from a 'weak' program asked me that, i would reply with similar 'weak' programs, some mediocre, and maybe 1 top.

if faculty from a 'strong' program asked me that, i would only reply with a bunch of solid programs. they have no way of verifying whether you are lying or not (not that i'm saying to necessarily lie, but you gotta do what you gotta do). some may disagree, but i personally do not think it's good to be completely honest and say you only have 3 interviews. makes you seem extremely weak IMHO. if you do not want to lie, then be vague. i don't think it hurts for them to know you are sought after. there has to be a reason everyone wants you. i'm sure it would make them want you more. the important thing is not to seem arrogant about it. gotta know how to play the game.

how are we supposed to answer the "tell me about yourself" question ??

how are we supposed to answer the "tell me about yourself" question ??

briefly.

since i've lead a rather boring life up until this point, i usually just begin with where i was born and raised, did undergrad, why i chose medicine, and how i became interested in derm. this seems to work fairly well. if you've done something extraordinary along the way, work that in, too.

The first time I applied, I was asked at several programs how many programs I applied to. Then how many interviews I had, and where. I tried to answer the questions vaguely, but the interviewer kept pushing me until I gave more specific answers. It sucked, because I wasn't expecting it and am really not good at lying, so I ended up telling the truth.... applied to ~80 programs, got 10 interviews, mostly regional with a few geographical outliers.

Ended up not matching, have always been curious if my honesty on that question affected me. If I hadn't owned up to all those interviews, maybe I'd have been ranked higher at my home program and low/mid tier programs. Also wondered if telling the geographically outlying programs that the rest of my interviews were close to home... if that made them think I wouldn't rank them, so they didn't rank me. Blargh. I'll never know.

Regardless, I think that most of the time, people can see through your bull**** pretty clearly. So I'm going to keep with the honesty again this time... perhaps that's going to be my downfall, but it's who I am.

I hope programs will just rank people in the order they actually want them, rather than try to predict who will rank them high... I have heard they often want to brag that they 'only went down to # such-and-such' on their list to fill their class.... so if they don't think you will rank them highly, they won't rank you highly, even if they really want you.

Sorry, for the tangent, had to get that out. Good luck to everyone... this process is insanely stressful, and every year there are so many great applicants who don't match. Count your blessings if you do!

i agree, it's a really tricky question. the way i answered it was i would tell them i'm interviewing at programs comparable to the program i was interviewing at.

if faculty from a 'weak' program asked me that, i would reply with similar 'weak' programs, some mediocre, and maybe 1 top.

if faculty from a 'strong' program asked me that, i would only reply with a bunch of solid programs. they have no way of verifying whether you are lying or not (not that i'm saying to necessarily lie, but you gotta do what you gotta do). some may disagree, but i personally do not think it's good to be completely honest and say you only have 3 interviews. makes you seem extremely weak IMHO. if you do not want to lie, then be vague. i don't think it hurts for them to know you are sought after. there has to be a reason everyone wants you. i'm sure it would make them want you more. the important thing is not to seem arrogant about it. gotta know how to play the game.

Double bonus...you'd have an answer to this question:

"Tell me about a situation in which you were faced with an ethical dilemma and how you overcame this challenge." :smuggrin:

Hate to go OT, but hey look! There's an interesting thread over there! *points*
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=682920

Last edited:
Tell me about a defining moment in your life.

I disagree about lying about interviews.

Derm is a small world and the stakes are too high to risk getting caught.
Worse yet, you could raise some red flags and dig yourself into a hole.

When you say "I interviewed at program X"... How do you answer "oh, I'm close friends with Dr. Y there... did you meet him?"

If Dr. Y is the program director... of course you should have met him.

Plus lying in an interview can cause issues if you should match at that program. I was only asked once about which other programs I interviewed at... and the interviewer wrote down my responses. I am pretty sure lying during the interview is grounds for firing (though not 100% sure).

I disagree about lying about interviews.

Derm is a small world and the stakes are too high to risk getting caught.
Worse yet, you could raise some red flags and dig yourself into a hole.

When you say "I interviewed at program X"... How do you answer "oh, I'm close friends with Dr. Y there... did you meet him?"

If Dr. Y is the program director... of course you should have met him.

Plus lying in an interview can cause issues if you should match at that program. I was only asked once about which other programs I interviewed at... and the interviewer wrote down my responses. I am pretty sure lying during the interview is grounds for firing (though not 100% sure).

I would not lie about things you can be caught lying about. I would never lie about having interviewed somewhere because obviously if they ask you questions about it, you won't be able to back up your answers and you'd get caught.

What I meant was that for people who do not have a lot of interviews and who do not want to look like they are crappy applicants, I would be vague (if possible). From my personal experience, I even threw in that I got interviews at x, y, and z (random programs that I knew of well) when I was asked where I had gotten interviews at. This was no big deal because it was something they could not verify as it was early in the interview season (people can always cancel interviews). If I had matched there, I could always say "I cancelled a bunch of interviews because of scheduling difficulties."

Generally, I would NOT recommend that people lie for obvious reasons, ESPECIALLY if you do not feel comfortable with it. And if you have to ask me how to do it, then just DON'T. I'm just sharing my experience and that it worked. You can do whatever you want at your own discretion. Obviously if you don't know how to do it right, you'll get screwed. Like I said, if you know how to play the game, you are at a slight advantage.

I would not lie about things you can be caught lying about. I would never lie about having interviewed somewhere because obviously if they ask you questions about it, you won't be able to back up your answers and you'd get caught.

What I meant was that for people who do not have a lot of interviews and who do not want to look like they are crappy applicants, I would be vague (if possible). From my personal experience, I even threw in that I got interviews at x, y, and z (random programs that I knew of well) when I was asked where I had gotten interviews at. This was no big deal because it was something they could not verify as it was early in the interview season (people can always cancel interviews). If I had matched there, I could always say "I cancelled a bunch of interviews because of scheduling difficulties."

Generally, I would NOT recommend that people lie for obvious reasons, ESPECIALLY if you do not feel comfortable with it. And if you have to ask me how to do it, then just DON'T. I'm just sharing my experience and that it worked. You can do whatever you want at your own discretion. Obviously if you don't know how to do it right, you'll get screwed. Like I said, if you know how to play the game, you are at a slight advantage.

can we cheat and steal too?

I was eyeing a really beautiful stapler at my last interview, and I almost took it. If this happens again, I probably won't be able to control myself.

Then my record will read "peculiar student, strong step 1 score, stole secretary's stapler on interview day."

I can't help but picture that beautiful girl that is goodies avatar whenever I read a post by goodies. It makes whatever is written much easier to agree with, I mean, that girl could probably talk me into robbing a liquor store.

I can't help but picture that beautiful girl that is goodies avatar whenever I read a post by goodies. It makes whatever is written much easier to agree with, I mean, that girl could probably talk me into robbing a liquor store.

yeah, i've seen uglier human beings.

i'm not sure about a liquor store though. those guys are reputable businessmen.

maybe mug a fourth grader for their lunch money. little punk prolly had it comin' anyway.

anyone know anything about the miami interviews? heard they are intense...anyone have any insight?

"60 seconds, and your hired" had been suggested to me by a previous Matched dermie and it was one of the best pieces of advice I had last season when I then Matched. It is quick and well worth it.

From the Holiday Break Article, obvious but worth posting probably:

Tell me about yourself.
Why derm?
Where do you see yourself in the future?
Why do you want to come to this program?
Tell me about an interesting case.
Tell me about your rotations in derm.
Tell me about your greatest strength and weakness.
What are some issues in health care today and how will they impact this specialty?
What are the negative aspects of practicing this specialty?

"prove to me that you're an inquisitive person"

If it is a female PD would it be appropriate joke to say "what color are you wearing today?" lol

What did you answer?

If it is a female PD would it be appropriate joke to say "what color are you wearing today?" lol

What did you answer?

sometimes people don't know the difference between funny and creepy. this is the latter.

If you had the skills to do anything and you were without financial or family responsibilities, what profession would you choose and why?

More:

What fellowship would you consider pursuing and why? (careful, mohs and cosmetics wannabes)

Hello,
What is mohs? What is the caution about cosmetics wannabes? If these sound like stupid questions - sorry, they probably are. I'm new to the forum and am not a recent graduate or a US graduate at that. I'm unfamiliar with between the lines stuff. Oh, and I'm interested in cosmetics :)
Thanks!

More:

Hello,
What is mohs? What is the caution about cosmetics wannabes? If these sound like stupid questions - sorry, they probably are. I'm new to the forum and am not a recent graduate or a US graduate at that. I'm unfamiliar with between the lines stuff. Oh, and I'm interested in cosmetics :)
Thanks!

What is Mohs? Really? Are you sure you didn't mean to go to a cosmetology forum and accidentally stumble in here? Or maybe cosmology? You're kinda a space cadet.

More:

What is Mohs? Really? Are you sure you didn't mean to go to a cosmetology forum and accidentally stumble in here? Or maybe cosmology? You're kinda a space cadet.

OK, I should have used google first. I got the answer to mohs. But cut me a break - I told you I'm not from this country, didn't study medicine in this language and notime recently either. It's no surprise I don't know all the current abbreviations or techniques! I'm not taking any offense.

Can someone please answer the question?

OK, I should have used google first. I got the answer to mohs. But cut me a break - I told you I'm not from this country, didn't study medicine in this language and notime recently either. It's no surprise I don't know all the current abbreviations or techniques! I'm not taking any offense.

Can someone please answer the question?

Fair enough.

If derm is a superficial field (as some naive people think), then cosmetic derm is the ultimate in superficiality. It's a business where one can make a great deal of money, and it's usually cash pay. If you were to express interest in cosmetics then you might appear shallow and thus uninterested in medical derm. This, naturally, would be off putting to a program director. That's the reasoning as I understand it.

I thought this was against match policy, but I've been getting a few "Are you going to rank us #1?" or "Where are you going to rank us?" questions.

I've been spinning the question and saying that I wasn't sure and had more interviews left and I needed time to critically access my rank list.

Was that the right approach? Or, was I supposed say "Yes, I'm going to rank you high for x,y,z reasons...".

I thought this was against match policy, but I've been getting a few "Are you going to rank us #1?" or "Where are you going to rank us?" questions.

I've been spinning the question and saying that I wasn't sure and had more interviews left and I needed time to critically access my rank list.

Was that the right approach? Or, was I supposed say "Yes, I'm going to rank you high for x,y,z reasons...".

I would tell them you plan to rank them all #7, because it's so luckyyyyy!

If you feel compelled to tell them you're ranking them high, I'd use a,b,c reasons, because x,y,z reasons are way down the list, and might not be good reasons

e.g. a,b,c reasons might be: I like the area, the faculty are great, and I really like the research of Dr. so and so (BTW, dr. so and so is probably the coolest dr. ever)

whereas reasons x,y,z might be: I like tapioca and it snows a lot here which reminds me of that, you have a pretty hat on, sometimes I eat tacos with my friends and I order too many and then I stay in the bathroom all the next day.

See, reasons x,y,z aren't that good and they're only somewhat obliquely related to why you'd actually want to attend a program for residency.

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student and I am interested in the field of Dermatology and as I was reading this forum, I keep reading, what will you rank the program and where would they rank you? I am not understanding the process of how they can rank you and vice versa and why would they ask the medical student what will you rank us? I am not familiar with the residency match up but it's never too early too start:prof::)

Fair enough.

If derm is a superficial field (as some naive people think), then cosmetic derm is the ultimate in superficiality. It's a business where one can make a great deal of money, and it's usually cash pay. If you were to express interest in cosmetics then you might appear shallow and thus uninterested in medical derm. This, naturally, would be off putting to a program director. That's the reasoning as I understand it.

One of the paradoxical things is that many of the cosmetic dermatologists that I know in academic settings are extremely intelligent, very capable physicians who are well respected by their peers. But, if a derm resident came through for interviews and said their career goal would be to be just like [insert famous, well-respected cosmetic dermatologist here], they would almost certainly never get a residency spot.

The sad thing that while there really is a lot of cool basic science behind many laser and cosmetic procedures, and it is conceivable that someone may have a genuine academic interest in such things, most cosmetic dermatologists are in it largely for the money. So, if one expresses an interest in cosmetics, he will be presumed to be greedy and shallow despite any claims and evidence to the contrary. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student and I am interested in the field of Dermatology and as I was reading this forum, I keep reading, what will you rank the program and where would they rank you? I am not understanding the process of how they can rank you and vice versa and why would they ask the medical student what will you rank us? I am not familiar with the residency match up but it's never too early too start:prof::)

Please google "National Residency Match Program".

During derm residency interviews, interviewers are not supposed to ask questions about rank preferences, but obviously some do anyway, especially with exceptional candidates like soreyeasses.

If you could change anything about your skin, what would you change?

Here are 2 pictures of Mariah Carey; tell me 6 differences between the two pictures as quickly as you can (yes this actually happened).

Here is a picture of like 12 animals playing different instruments; I'll let you look at it for 20 seconds and then ask you questions about the picture.

What motivates you?

Tell me a joke.

Is there anything not on your application that you would like to talk about?
Is there anything on your application that you would like to bury?

Tell me in 5 words or less why you want to do dermatology.

Entiendo que hablas espanol muy bien, verdad?

Some interviewers asked very loaded questions. Sometimes a serious answer came off as boring or unimpressive. My witty and light-hearted remarks were always well received. A sense of humor comes a long way if you are put in the cross-fire.

Anyhow, this thread should definitely be bumped for next year's applicants.

Why are you so good looking?

Why are you so charming?

What makes sore eye tick?

How did you get so well hung?

Why are your pants down?

Can I take my pants down too?

If not, give me 5 good reasons why.

If we French kissed right now, would you think less of me?

Would you think more of me?

Do you think we should French kiss?

You do?

Ok, let's French Kiss then...

How was it?

Where do you plan to rank my French kissing ability?

What other programs have you French kissed?

Given a choice between strong didactics and limitless French kissing from me, what do you find more valuable when making your final decision to rank our program?

When you walk out of the room, could you do it really slowly?

Could you also drop your pen and then reach down to get it?

Yeah, like that. Just like that...

The posts regarding the visual appeal of Alessandra Ambrosio vs. the posts that describe how cosmetic dermatology is not superficial....sigh, these are the things I love debating with my sister. She asks me on a regular basis, how I can think so highly of a profession that is so focused on something so superficial.

It makes me giggle, but I really do find superficial things endlessly compelling.

The sad thing that while there really is a lot of cool basic science behind many laser and cosmetic procedures, and it is conceivable that someone may have a genuine academic interest in such things, most cosmetic dermatologists are in it largely for the money.

I'm not assuming that you think the same way, but why is this a bad thing? Why do they believe this is a bad thing? Do the clowns who actually profess to believe this decline their wages? Would they complain if someone were to decrease them? Are they so blinded by their frankly ignorant narrow world view... is it so fragile that they cannot comprehend that we all work for a wage? That some (not me, I cannot stand most cosmetic clientèle) seek merely to maximize their wage / return on the capital and time invested? Seriously, these types drive me nuts... our chair was that sort of person, but God help you if you neglected to code for a biopsy or otherwise cost him a penny of his own money.... :smuggrin: