OK but as president of the APMA I have some questions for you:
1) What is being done to prevent a residency shortage in 4 years?
2) What can be done to prevent oversaturation with 2 new schools opening up?
3) What can be done to help our young graduates obtain quality jobs upon graduation?
Were looking out for younger generations on here you just dont see it.
I know for a fact were triggering discussions at APMA delegates meetings.
Hopefully the above are being worked on by APMA. When western opened APMA/AACPM looked absolutely foolish. They had 4 years and did almost nothing.
1. What is the Profession Doing to Prevent Residency Shortage?
Firstly, there is no shortage currently, there is a surplus. As you noted, 4 years from now there will be 80ish more people in the match for residency programs. But the matriculants at the 9 other schools is also reducing, albeit, not by 80. So, in TX, TPMA is working closely with UTRGV to increase spots because Texans want to stay in Texas. UTHSCSA has applied to for a compliment increase from 3/year to 5/year starting 2023. UTSW is going to start a program, probably 2 per year to begin with. TPMA is looking at all academic medical centers to help recruit podiatrists who can be residency directors and keep our residents in the state and welcome them when they decide to practice here.
I will reach out to CPME and APMA to ask them if they have a national strategy to prevent a shortage and I will post their answers and who answered. More on that to come.
2. Is There Oversaturation of Podiatrists and What Can We Do to Prevent It?
I need to understand where there is oversaturation. Because the profession doesn't believe there is oversaturation. The need for foot and ankle care is only increasing, based on population, age, and diabetes prevalence. The numbers of podiatrists has not kept up with the projected need.
Is this a geographical thing?
For example, everywhere I've practiced I've never had a shortage of patients. When I moved to San Antonio, there were 1200 patients with diabetic foot problems on the waiting list to be seen. I'm literally booked for months.
Maybe because I'm in South Texas. Maybe because I'm at a university. Maybe because I'm "hospital-employed" (I'm really a university employee).
I can imagine you try to open a practice in Manhattan, or South Florida, or Chicago, perhaps there is a lot of competition for general podiatry.
Maybe this question is really is about not being enough "good, hospital-jobs" in certain markets.
If you're geographically locked into an area, you might have to compromise for a while. If you're willing to relocate anywhere, there is no saturation of podiatrists.
I'll address how to find hospital jobs in another thread.
3. What Can Be Done to Help Young Graduates Obtain Quality Jobs Upon Graduation?
This is a good question. I have some ideas, but not approved by ABPM or APMA yet. The profession has not previously had an organized approach to this. It has been left to mentoring and networking.
What are your ideas?
I'll ask one of the BOT at APMA and post their reply.
I believe I’ve respectfully asked you at least 3 times in separate threads on questions an elected president of a governing board can answer. That way, I can learn all I can. And then from there, I can improve the future generation of students’ lives with my knowledge and skills based on your answers. And ultimately, leave podiatry better than its current state because I can say the president of APMA addressed my and DYK’s questions that concerns the profession as a whole. Thank you.
Please repost here if I didn't address above.