questions from pre-allopathic student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gynnielee

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody....
I would like to get some advice......
My GPA is not good and the most thing that concerns me is that I got C/C+ for general biology.....
My question is "Should I take the course again?" or what do you suggest me to do?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Is Bio your major? They are not going to let you graduate if you have a "C" within your major without retaking the course. I would advice you to retake C for sure and C+ if you can because Gen Bio is a requirement for medical schools.

take an upper level bio course b4 u apply and get an A

get As in all ur other science prereqs if u can, and it should be ok

i had a C+ in one semester of cell bio but i got an A in genetics so it balanced it out. I also had a C- in gen chem lab first semster, but i got an A the second semester......i got into a few med schools, so i would say it's ok to get a few bad grades as long as u show them u can also get good ones. :) It's important to have an upward trend in your gpa when applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
Is Bio your major? They are not going to let you graduate if you have a "C" within your major without retaking the course. I would advice you to retake C for sure and C+ if you can because Gen Bio is a requirement for medical schools.

where did you learn this from??? I had C's all throughout my first year Bio and graduated just fine. :) I did have to work hard and achieve better grades in upper level classes though (to impress med schools) but that's a whole different issue.

Tweetie

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
Is Bio your major? They are not going to let you graduate if you have a "C" within your major without retaking the course.

Maybe it's because I went to a basically podunk undergrad, but I know that I had some C's in biology, and I still graduated. Yep, and biology was my major.

Moral: Never give up.

Advice: Retake it if you know you can get an A. Don't retake if you can take a harder upper level bio course and get an A (they look better I'm told). Take it or leave it, it's just my opinion. :)

Hmm... yeah...I am at VT (state school) and only some of the programs have a C or a C+ minimum for inmajor courses. So I don't think worrying about graduating is a problem. However, a C doesn't look great when you are applying to med school. If you are continuing to take other courses, you should really try to figure out what went wrong so that you can fix it. (In other words...if your methods don't work the first time, its likely that they still won't work if you try them in the next semester.) If you don't fix the problem and continue to get C's you will find yourself looking into a postbac program after you finish college. Don't fret, but don't make it a habit.

~AS1~

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird

where did you learn this from??? I had C's all throughout my first year Bio and graduated just fine. :) I did have to work hard and achieve better grades in upper level classes though (to impress med schools) but that's a whole different issue.

Tweetie

Sorry, I guess I made a wrong assumption. In my school if a person gets a grade of C or lower within major, he/she must retake it for a better grade in order to graduate. The schools seem to be different about that. I actually had a D+ for one of the med school pre-reqs and I had to retake it and I got an A then. I also have a lot of upper level science classes taken too so I hope that's going to do something good for me...

My schools the same way, C or better.