Questions on becoming a NP.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SYPH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just got into Sacramento State University for interest in Nursing, and I was wondering what exactly are the steps to becoming an NP as people keep telling me different things.

I've heard that you can do 2 years of undergrad at any university, and then apply for any other universities nursing program. (Traditional BSN)

After that you can either work as an RN and save up some money, or go straight into a NP program. Is it really it?
Since I reside in California i'm interested in the UC's, and possibly Washington's programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Get your BSN the cheapest route possible, with the realization it may take a year or two extra to go the public school route. The better programs require you to work 1-2 years as an RN, and in all honesty you wouldn't want to go to NP school without first working as a nurse. I would recommend going to a state school for NP; its easier to get a job if you went to a school people have heard of. After that, it's all about who you know. Find a physician who is pro nurse and willing to teach you. Do everything you can to be a valued member of the team. It's all about connections and networking.

I know NP's who got jobs pretty easy that went to for profit schools that you wouldn't expect to have an easy time... ie Kaplan, Western Governor's. Personally, I would prefer a well regarded program, but I can't make everyone's decisions for them. A lot of the RNs at my facility go to Western Governors to complete their BSNs from their ASNs, even after I tell them about the very reasonable state school they can go through that isn't a pain in the butt at all. It's their money I guess. But if I pay for a parchment, I want it to be from a university that I can find on a map. It doesn't mean I need a brick and mortar program exclusively, but I prefer to have a real alma mater.

One thing that being an RN can do for you is give you connections to potential preceptors. Several RN's have awesome clinical training from great physicians who they knew from work. You do good work as an RN, and a physician is often willing to take the time to help train you.