Questions/passage didn't match!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, did anyone else have problems with the verbal test today? Without being specific and violating the aamc's terms, here is the problem: I had a science passage about a the motility/physiology of one type animal and the questions were about the mating rituals/population genetics of a completely different type of animal. Did anyone else experience this??? Any clue about how the aamc will handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless it was some sort of trick question....did you report it? If not, do that immediately

Hey, did anyone else have problems with the verbal test today? Without being specific and violating the aamc's terms, here is the problem: I had a science passage about a the motility/physiology of one type animal and the questions were about the mating rituals/population genetics of a completely different type of animal. Did anyone else experience this??? Any clue about how the aamc will handle it?

yeah my friend said the same thing about the passsage and the questions matching up. he called aamc and those problems will be thrown out and score calculated without them

I wasted a bunch of time on it because the first question was one of those "which would weaken the author's argument" type questions. It had more of an impact than just those questions because I had less time for the other passages. Also, I started the writing late because the proctor insisted that I stay and describe the problem for her report while the section was starting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasted a bunch of time on it because the first question was one of those "which would weaken the author's argument" type questions. It had more of an impact than just those questions because I had less time for the other passages. Also, I started the writing late because the proctor insisted that I stay and describe the problem for her report while the section was starting.

Don't worry too much about the verbal, because chances are if it threw you off, then it probably threw off everyone else taking that version of the test also, and they always accommodate the curve for these types of situations. However, I would definitely call the AAMC and explain all of this to them thoroughly, so they are aware. The more complaints they get, the more steps they will take.

yeah it is a bad situation. mistakes like that shouldnt happen by the aamc. i feel bad for you guys

I had the exact same problem on the verbal. How will it affect the curve?

me too! i had one passage on robotuna and the questions were on birds. WTF? :confused:

me too! i had one passage on robotuna and the questions were on birds. WTF? :confused:

exactly! i called aamc and reported it. they said someone would get back to me in a week about it, and several reports have been made.

Don't worry too much about the verbal, because chances are if it threw you off, then it probably threw off everyone else taking that version of the test also, and they always accommodate the curve for these types of situations. However, I would definitely call the AAMC and explain all of this to them thoroughly, so they are aware. The more complaints they get, the more steps they will take.

Yeah, I will give them a call later in the week. I can't imagine what the rates for international calls while I'm on international roaming would be. Thank god for skype.
It just sucks that during the most important test of my life I was distracted for the rest of the test. I didn't properly get to finish the verbal and the writing timer had started by the time i sat down. I was distracted during the bio as well because the center's manager started asking me about it during the break after the writing. All due to their mistake. After they promised no glitches when they announced the switch.

I had the same problem, it caused me to run out of time on the last passage after sorting everything out.

Same thing. And the passage was freaking impossible so I definitely did not do as well as I should have

Same problem here in DC. I had the robotuna passage, and the questions were about birds. I couldn't finish the final verbal passage, and lost my train of thought for the rest of the test. But I reported the problem as soon as I saw it, and decided to void my test, out of fear that the 10 questions I missed would still be counted. Apparently a few other people in my testing center also had a similar problem, but I don't know the exact number (the prometric people wouldn't tell me). I called AAMC, and someone said they would get back to me by the end of today (Jan 27). If this is as big of a problem as I think it is, AAMC will have a lot of explaining and refunding to do. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
yep..i had the same problem. it made me stressout for the rest of the exam. i'm so annoyed. trying to call them now

i just got off the phone and they said some one will be contacting me to let me know what they plan on doing about this. If anyone had the same problem, make sure to report it and make sure they have your correct contact info.
The number is 202-828-0690.

I feel really bad for you guys... hopefully it'll all work out in the end. This test seems way too short to be consistent nowadays

i just got off the phone and they said some one will be contacting me to let me know what they plan on doing about this. If anyone had the same problem, make sure to report it and make sure they have your correct contact info.
The number is 202-828-0690.
if i had to take the mcat again i'm gonna have to kill aamc.

I am so glad I checked SDN! I had that robotuna passage--just called to complain. I told my proctors, too, and they are filing a report. When I got to the robotuna passage and had to stop and get the proctor, I knew my MCAT day was in trouble. I seriously wonder if I should have voided it. I know it threw me off for Bio. I hope they make this right for us because this is a retake for me. Supposedly they will be calling us by 5 on Friday with an answer as to what the resolution will be. This is huge for a lot of people so hopefully they will somehow compensate for the effect we all experienced on the rest of the test (like the option to retest even though that sounds heinous to me right now). Anyway, I'm praying for divine intervention because I'm pretty astounded by this turn of events and I don't think throwing out the passage is a thorough enough resolution. Good luck everyone! We're in for a long wait.....

This Happened To Me Too!!!!!!!! I Was So ****ing Pissed And Still Am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey i got the same problems with the passage luckily i got it towards the end but it threw my timing off for the last passage. If anyone knows what will happen let me know. I have reported everything so far.

I had the same problem. I spent so much time (relative to the time allocated) trying to look for keywords in the passage from the questions/answer-choices thinking I did not read the passage careful enough, realizing later that they were on completely different topics. I advanced to the next VR passage discovering the same problem there and that's when I complained.

I reported just after I left the test center (earlier than most, so I did not get the "we'll contact you soon" response!). I have described my experience here - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=363602

Does anyone else think it doesn't make sense to just throw out the questions? It seems like that would put those who had the problem at a disadvantage since we have less questions in the section, making it harder to get a good percentage.

Does anyone else think it doesn't make sense to just throw out the questions? It seems like that would put those who had the problem at a disadvantage since we have less questions in the section, making it harder to get a good percentage.
From what I got as our administrator tried to explain, they will not throw the questions out, but they will look at your performance on other questions and then decide on the problematic questions.

apparently this type of mistake has happened before (even on the paper version). http://archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1998/042498/mact.42498.html
Back in '98, students with the defective tests were given three options:
1.) cancel score and get refund
2.) cancel score and get free retake
3.) score test without the defective questions

I'm so pissed at them right now. They must've known about this error early on, why didn't they let the later time zone test centers know?!?!?!

apparently this type of mistake has happened before (even on the paper version). http://archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1998/042498/mact.42498.html

I'm so pissed at them right now. They must've known about this error early on, why didn't they let the later time zone test centers know?!?!?!

They actually did let them know. I was on a break doing the fingerprint thing when a message popped up on the proctor's screen that said "If students ask about a passage involving fish and birds, tell them to try their best to answer the questions.". Once I got to that section of the test I knew what they were talking about, and just figured they would throw those questions out. But I was confused as to why AAMC would ask students to even try answering the questions because 1. it's impossible without the passage and 2. it wastes time that could be spent on other passages. But overall I was happy with how I did on verbal.

Woah...so THAT was what my proctor was asking me about.... I had the passage about birds but my questions matched...(at least I think so...either that or I was really out of it). About half of the people taking the test (there were only 8 or us) had problems with verbal.

I really hope AAMC finds an effective way to deal with this problem. Le sigh. The burden of guinea pig-ness.....

Someone in my center had the same problem - could have happened to any of us -- truly is BS (not biological sciences).

BRIGHT SIDE: If this had happened to me, I would retake the test ASAP - on Jan 29th (as horrible as that sounds) and you may actually do better after having a solid practice run today. If you wait to retake you will have to study again. If you get a higher score its a blessing in disguise.

Good luck guys.

I demanded to be given another testing opportunity on monday since I decided to void today's test after the VR glitch but the AAMC people and prometric people said that there was no chance that was going to happen. If enough people encountered this glitch, and filed complaints, maybe they can add another day sometime soon. It would be easier to do this now with the computerized test as opposed to the previous twice a year schedule.

I hope we still have the option of 1 or 2 even if we choose to have the test scored.

Wow, this is terrible. How could AAMC not resolved it before hand. .

For those that came across this problem, is there a rule that says that when you come across a glitch you have to report it immediatly? I'm just wondering why more people didnt just go on to the next few passages and then report the problem afterwards. This way time wouldnt have been lost on the correct passages.

how many people do you all think this happened to? 1/2 of the test takers?? 1/4?

ugh...

i really don't want to take the test again but i have a sinking feeling we might have to... if given the option like the '98 test takers what all do you think you will do? april's only 2 months away...:(

This happened to me also. However, I picked random choices and moved on. Definitely disappointing.

They actually did let them know. I was on a break doing the fingerprint thing when a message popped up on the proctor's screen that said "If students ask about a passage involving fish and birds, tell them to try their best to answer the questions.". Once I got to that section of the test I knew what they were talking about, and just figured they would throw those questions out. But I was confused as to why AAMC would ask students to even try answering the questions because 1. it's impossible without the passage and 2. it wastes time that could be spent on other passages. But overall I was happy with how I did on verbal.

try your best to answer the questions? WTF?!!!!!

hey was there two sets of exam. bcoz i cant remember at all any such passage. anyone else like me here.

I and several other people at my testing center got afflicted with the passage/question mix-up. I only wasted time on reading the passage and then just chose a letter for all of the "corresponding" questions. I hope AAMC makes some good solutions available (like those in the past that ChemE64 referenced) because this is just too messed up. :thumbdown:

Fantastic...I get to pay $500 to come back to Berlin to retake because the aamc F'd up. Oh, wait, I don't have another $500. Sweet.

This happened to me. I thought $210 was excessive, esp for an online test, but I'm glad my money is funneling to such a quality organization.

The problem is Natural/Social Science passages are what I am better at. If they just throw the questions out, then the % of Humanities to Science question changes, and how is that reflective of my real Verbal abilities? And how does taking a test with 35 questions and 5 erroneous questions tell me my national percentile among everyone? Some people respond to stress differently than others, so apparently the AAMC also will be grading us on how we react to uncomfortable stressful circumstances, huh, that wasn't in the brochure!

If they can mess up a whole form so easily, you don't think they could mess up when they are scoring YOUR test? I think it is a lot easier to mess up scoring a national form of an exam than it is to mess up proctoring a national exam (you really have to be incompetent), lot more components need to be in place to score a test, so various errors could surface. Can you trust these people?

Also, I think it is somewhat wrong the AAMC notified the proctors and told them to tell the students beforehand on the west coast, because the east coast takers didn't get that chance! If I had known something crazy was going to happen about birds and fishes on a passage, I could prepare for it and probably save that section for last. And since this is a national percentile ranking test, I think it is absolutely absurd they will change the testing conditions for some people of a singular group and not others, and then want to compare all the results as a single group. Are these people awake?

If you voided your test, does that score still affect the percentile ranks? If the people most thrown off voided their test and it doesn't go into the calculations, it doesn't show the true range of scores and of tests, does it? They should look at the number of people who voided our form versus the average # who usually void on a particular form and account for that.

We have some bright administrators over there. I think we have to call repeatedly to ensure they get our message. I think they have to score it with a lot more consideration then "let's omit those questions". AND THEY MUST factor in the effect of time, since this is a timed test; specifically on the last passage. They have a lot of thinking to do, and of course, I definitely don't trust them to do it efficiently.

As for me, I will not retest unless I absolutely have to. I spent too much time studying and preparing for the stress of MCAT day. A refund or retake won't appease me personally. On our form, on our specific group, I hope they can identify all the people affected (first off). Also, I hope they err on the side of giving one too many points than one too few! Lots more people will be pissed the other way around, esp considering it is their fault, not ours! What is that legal term, "causing mental anguish"...lol.

I think they might look at the raw score distribution on this form compared to other forms. But if they are not too disparaging on a national level, who knows what they will do. They can't be perfect in adjusting the scoring b/c the same change affects different people in lots of different ways.

I hope someone at the AAMC is reading this thread and does something about it. (Do we have a contact email address for them?) When I called their office, I asked if they were taking suggestions to solve this problem from the affected individuals. I hear, "Ughhhhh, noooo, I don't think so...." Come on, you need to talk to the people before you solve their problem, right? She told me I would hear back their judgment in a week. They make the mistake and they unilaterally attempt to rectify it. They wield too much power over us!

Mridang, I didn't quite get what the proctor told you was the methodology they will be using. Could you explain further?

I think this situation somewhat highlights the arbitrariness of the test in general.

Let's keep this thread alive. In 30 days, I hope people will post if they are satisfied with their score considering all of the BS that went on. I hope we will be. God, I hope we will be :)

You're right, FlStudent. Notifying later testing centers was not a good idea. Considering that those students who did get notified of the error are now at an advantage (even over those with error-free tests) because they had fewer questions to give serious consideration to in the 60 minutes given. Now they can't give the option of scoring these exams without the erroneous questions. AAMC seriously screwed this one up big time.

What's so hard about giving these tests a dry run before administering it to thousands of people?

Who thinks they're going to get so much flak from this that they'll move back to the paper version?

Wow..that's really fair to notify the west coast test takers. Talk about an unfair advantage. If I'd known about this ahead of time, I would have taken the extra time to go over other passages and not wasted time telling the proctor or worrying about it for the rest of the test. :mad: and i really dont want to retake just because they fcked up.

Also, I think it is somewhat wrong the AAMC notified the proctors and told them to tell the students beforehand on the west coast, because the east coast takers didn't get that chance! If I had known something crazy was going to happen about birds and fishes on a passage, I could prepare for it and probably save that section for last. And since this is a national percentile ranking test, I think it is absolutely absurd they will change the testing conditions for some people of a singular group and not others, and then want to compare all the results as a single group. Are these people awake?

If you're responding to my post about the message from AAMC, I think you're confused. I took the test in the MTN time zone and the proctor did not notify all the test takers of the problem, she was instructed to tell us to try our best if we asked about it.

Thanks for the clear-up! That makes more sense.

An aside:
When I was taking the test, I was thinking, "Is this problem localized to this specific testing center? Or to my computer?" I kept refreshing (going back to Passage 5 and then forward to 6) hoping the right questions would align. I just couldn't fathom how a huge mistake like that could be on the form nationwide, LOL.

It was a relief to know it was nationwide and the AAMC will be forced to do something. If it was just one or two testing centers, they would just say, retest and refund, or there is no way of knowing what happened on your monitor so we will do nothing. If that happened on a harder section (the sciences) , I would have (and continue to) lost my mind!

You know, I actually LIKED the computer setup. I had a good experience otherwise.

Yea, I had the passage, and spent a good 7-8 minutes trying to figure out if I was missing some wierd analogy or something, and also wondering if I should void my scores or move on. I had marked several questions to return to, which I didnt get to do, and it didnt exactly help that I was unable to concentrate on the killer passage that followed.
One more thing, I thought I had that passage nailed before I read the bird questions, will they make considerations for passage difficulty when adjusting our scores? My gut tells me "No", and we'll all be stuck with the lame excuse, "We regret any inconvenience this may have caused." Gee, thanks.