Questions, questions, questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sks77

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post on here and here it goes.

I am currently a software engineering working on my masters in comp. engineering. (2 classes left) However, my career doesn't make me feel *important*. Not only that but I want to have a lifestyle where I feel like I have helped somebody. Money/respect is also a plus. :) Ideally, I would like to work in the US for about 8 months and spend 4 months travelling to different countries helping over there.

My gpa in undergrad is 3.96 and my grad. gpa so far is 4.0 I haven't taken any prereqs for medicine except couple of physics classes. I took AP chem in HS and really enjoyed it and was actually good at it. Currently, I am working full-time and would like to see if pre-med is for me. I am thinking about taking biology (subject which I hated in HS) and see if it will excite me or not. Right now, I make more money than you would as a resident so not having cash flow like I have now will be something completely new that I will have to get used to.

Any comments/suggestions on my thoughts above?

Few more questions:
1. DO vs MD? Does it really matter? Isn't the curriculum the same in both type of schools?

2. Do MCAT scores have an effect on what type of residencies you can get into or would that be based totally on USMLE 1 & 2? For instance, if someone wanted to go into surgical residencies where it is pretty competitive, would it be based on MCAT scores also?

3. What do you think about taking some science classes at the univ. that are taught in med. school (before going to med. school)? Classes such as biochem, AP, cell/tissue biology?

Thanks.... by the way, I am 25 yrs old and have been working for the past 2.5 years in this crazy economy.

Members don't see this ad.

Few more questions:
1. DO vs MD? Does it really matter? Isn't the curriculum the same in both type of schools?

In the end, it doesn't matter; however, for competitive residencies, such as surgery, derm, or ophthalmology, it does. I've seen fewer DOs in these fields than MDs. Most DOs I know are family practice and internal medicine. I know one DO in the Army Ortho program. I think if you want to be a surgeon, it'll be best to go to an MD school where your chances will be greater to get a good match for residency. The curricular is slightly different. I'm not a good one to explain the DO's curriculum. I'll bump this to a more experienced poster.

2. Do MCAT scores have an effect on what type of residencies you can get into or would that be based totally on USMLE 1 & 2? For instance, if someone wanted to go into surgical residencies where it is pretty competitive, would it be based on MCAT scores also?

After you get into medical school, MCAT scores don't matter. Residency placement is dependent on: clinical grades, Step I, letters from faculty, Dean's letter and your experiences in the speciality.

3. What do you think about taking some science classes at the univ. that are taught in med. school (before going to med. school)? Classes such as biochem, AP, cell/tissue biology?

This is a good idea, but I'd recommend taking your basics first. You can do this on your own because all you need is one year each of English, Math, Chemistry, O-Chem, and Physics. Some schools require foreign language and other humanities courses. If you want to enter a formal program designed for individuals like you, then consider a post-bac program. I know of a good one and you can read about the philosophy behind why post-bacs are good:

http://www.jhu.edu/postbac/

This one is directed my the former deans of admissions at Johns Hopkins. He's a super nice guy.

I wish you luck! Remember, it's not about money. If you love what you're doing, money doesn't matter! :)