Questions, questions :\

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aam53

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I guess this is an unusual case. I am right now in a joint medical program...NEOUCOM for anybody else who's heard of it. And I'm about to start my second year. Truth is, I've been thinking/wanting to transfer out or apply out for medical school since soon after I started. I know it's supposed to be unethical and all that, so there's a pretty good chance that I won't, but I just want to know--what would be my chances of getting in to another medical school, hopefully one that's considered relatively "good." I have a 3.8 overall gpa right now, and a 3.6 bcpm, or roughly something like that. I haven't yet taken my MCAT--2 weeks until doomsday. But taking into account that I'm in an accelerated program, how much would my application be lacking, in comparison to others? Is there anything I can do/should do in the next year to make up for it? Such as particular types of volunteering/leadership/research? I have all of the opportunities...it's just a matter of whether I should even bother taking them. I just need to know whether I even stand a chance against all the other applicants out there, in order to decide whether I want to do the extra work and try to get into another medical school. Because if I decide to appy out, I first have to withdraw my name from the NEOUCOM medical school. And if I don't get in anywhere after withdrawing my name, I'm just screwed.
Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Worry about that MCAT first. Then definitely get some clinical volunteering under your belt next. You need to have the whole package it seems so get some research and leadership added so long as you can balance out academics with everything else. If you don't like research, get enough to know you don't like it and then move on to other stuff