Questions RE:Vet Periodicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bclover

UIUC-CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious:

Do any of you regularly read (or even subscribe) to the veterinary periodicals?
Which one(s) do you prefer? (I've only picked up a couple over the last few months and thumbed-through at the campus library.)
My thoughts are that they provide some insight into some of the current issues, ethical dilemmas, etc. facing our chosen profession. Do you think that they do?
If you aren't a subscriber now, will you be before being admitted into the school of your choice? Or just read the library copies?
If you are a subscriber now, is it worth the money - in your opinion, of course - and why?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I read Compendium, for free, because my clinic has a subscription to it. Its designed for continuing ed for veterinarians but I find it extremely useful and easy to read.

It even has self-quizzes at the end of the magazine :thumbup:
I most certainly will subscribe to it myself, when I'm in veterinary school.

I am a vet magazine addict! My two favorites are Clinician's Brief http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/index.aspx and DVM News Magazine http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/

I like Clinicians Brief because it is great at explaining clinical aspects (it usually has a step by step of a clinical procedure- the epidural issue was really cool!) And DVM is great for current events- really helpful for interviews.

I have free access to both(and several others)- I live with a vet who gets them for free (awesome deal!! I think advertisers pay for it!). I don't know if I would actually subscribe to any because they are usually free online, or probably available at the university library.

I also like Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Economics- yeah, I am a total geek when it comes to this stuff. :D
JAVMA (Journal of American Vet Med Association) is good, but it can be pretty dry (except for the "what's your diagnosis"- very cool!), and most of the articles are subscription only online (this one is probably at the library though).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Cheska! Looks like some of those have at least free limited access.

In a similar vein, does anyone know of any good and interesting online resources? Like web communities (other than this one), websites, or blogs related to veterinary medicine (or equine stuff)?

Thanks, Cheska! Looks like some of those have at least free limited access.

In a similar vein, does anyone know of any good and interesting online resources? Like web communities (other than this one), websites, or blogs related to veterinary medicine (or equine stuff)?

You might check out VIN/VSPN too... VSPN is the free version of VIN geared towards technicians and support personnel, and has a great message board and chats and all kinds of other info for vets and techs... they have a TON of information on there- you have to register for access, but it's free, and totally worth it. www.vspn.org

I checked out IVIS - it's fantastic! Thanks for the recommendation =)

I like thehorse.com for equine news, and quite a bit of it is veterinary related. Equisearch.com has forums, but instead of reading them to gain information, I think they're better for getting an idea of what your future clients may be like:scared: . If you go to that site, though, I must warn you against checking out the Horses for Sale ads- it's addictive:D

You might check out VIN/VSPN too... VSPN is the free version of VIN geared towards technicians and support personnel, and has a great message board and chats and all kinds of other info for vets and techs... they have a TON of information on there- you have to register for access, but it's free, and totally worth it. www.vspn.org

VIN is the best! one of the vets i work with has a subscription and leaves it logged in 24/7....i read through it all the time.

VIN is the best! one of the vets i work with has a subscription and leaves it logged in 24/7....i read through it all the time.

VIN is very addicting!! :) (my vet lets me look up information from the message boards for her sometimes)