Questions related to my scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james6911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off let me just say thank you to all those who come here with the will to answer questions. Without you this place would not exist.

Anyways, I am soon to graduate college with a BSc. in Biology. My GPA for the last 70 units has been 3.5 and with a cumulative of 3.2 (upward trend as last 40 units i've had a 3.8). After reviewing my choices i've decided to pursue audiology as i enjoy patient interaction, especially with kids. I do not have any audiology classes but i've taken lots of biology, math, English, chemistry and other subjects required for my degree. With that said, i am yet to take the GRE which i plan on taking sometime 2012 leaving me ample time to prepare. Do you guys believe i am a competitive candidate for some top audiology programs? And should i postpone my graduation date to knockout some prerequisites?

I am also considering Au.D/Ph.D since i have nearly two years of experience in a immunology and stem cell laboratory with excellent recommendation letters. How's the job-search like for a audiologist that holds dual-degrees?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi James,

I think you have a great chance of getting in one of the "top" programs in the country. The non-comm. dis. classes you've taken (immunology, etc) are good choices, since 1) you're going for AuD/research and 2) most students currently in the AuD program will tell you it's recommended to take biology and physics.

Check out of the AuD/PhD programs and see what math courses they want you to take. I believe University of Iowa requires prospective students to take calculus classes?

Take the GRE as soon as possible! Just get it out of the way and focus on making your personal statement standout more.

Hope that helps! Take care.

Give it a shot! We need more biology majors in audiology research. The job market for AuD/PhD is great because what it basically says is you can do anything (clinical work, research, teaching, etc.). If you don't have time to get prerequisites in, I suggest buying a few audiology textbooks and reading through them, especially if you get accepted. You will probably be required to pick up the prerequisites wherever you end up, but you can do them simultaneously... The textbooks will give you a leg up and help your prospective program to understand that you're seriously interested in audiology. Audiologyonline.org also has a bunch of presentations that you can watch for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi James,

I think you have a great chance of getting in one of the "top" programs in the country. The non-comm. dis. classes you've taken (immunology, etc) are good choices, since 1) you're going for AuD/research and 2) most students currently in the AuD program will tell you it's recommended to take biology and physics.

Check out of the AuD/PhD programs and see what math courses they want you to take. I believe University of Iowa requires prospective students to take calculus classes?

Take the GRE as soon as possible! Just get it out of the way and focus on making your personal statement standout more.

Hope that helps! Take care.

Just "class", and it can be Beginning Calculus I, thank God.

Thank you guys for your input, though more wouldn't hurt :)

I am planning on delaying my graduation right now to take a few additional classes. Though i feel audiology is my path, i want to take anatomy and physiology. I have also completed the short-course in calculus so i believe math is covered.

What is so worrisome however with colleges is their average admission GPA. Universities such as Iowa report them being as high as 3.5-3.6 and they do not inform us on whether that was cumulative or last 60-units.

Thanks

James,

Keep in mind that these are AVERAGE GPAs. I got into competitive programs with a lower GPA. Schools place more weight on the last two years of undergrad. Quite frankly, you stand a good chance at getting into top programs. A good GRE score and a unique, well written SOP that conveys your passion and knowledge about the field will make you a lock.

Last edited:
Do you guys know how well Idaho State University is? I noticed they are accepting students with 3.5+ GPA without the GRE. I may consider it a backup school but would definitely love opinions. Also, is there any bias in the field as to where the doctorate was earned?

Thanks

Do you guys know how well Idaho State University is? I noticed they are accepting students with 3.5+ GPA without the GRE. I may consider it a backup school but would definitely love opinions. Also, is there any bias in the field as to where the doctorate was earned?

Thanks

To answer your previous post, my cumulative GPA was something like 3.3-3.4 and I am now at the University of Iowa. It's not unheard of, but I also had a rockin' Statement of Purpose and undergraduate research, as well as great letters of recommendation. Your admissions package is less about the paper qualifications you have and more about what you can bring to the university.

Now to my alma mater, Idaho State University! :) I attended their undergraduate program and found it disappointing, but mostly because of the same phenomenon you'll find at any other undergraduate program: SLP-bias. That said, the faculty there is amazing and I miss them very much. They know their stuff and they put students first. They do not have a PhD program as of now, however I've heard rumors of them starting one up in the next five years so it might be there by the time you're ready to start it. At a place where they have a combined program, however, you'll shave two years off the time.

If you want a fantastic clinically-focused program, ISU's the place to go. The AuD students there start seeing clients (although in limited respects at first) almost on day one. Can't say enough good things about the program! I only applied there and UIowa, which was my dream school because of the AuD/PhD and research opportunities. If things ever don't work out at UIowa, I'm so there. Let me know if you have any other questions about ISU or UIowa, and I'll be happy to help!

Don't waste your time (and money) taking extra classes, unless you have the time and money to waste. You sound like an excellent candidate (though of course I'm not on any admissions committees) and 4 years of grad school is extremely expensive as it is!

How are you liking UIowa so far Elise? I am a senior (undergrad) here.

To answer your previous post, my cumulative GPA was something like 3.3-3.4 and I am now at the University of Iowa. It's not unheard of, but I also had a rockin' Statement of Purpose and undergraduate research, as well as great letters of recommendation. Your admissions package is less about the paper qualifications you have and more about what you can bring to the university.

Now to my alma mater, Idaho State University! :) I attended their undergraduate program and found it disappointing, but mostly because of the same phenomenon you'll find at any other undergraduate program: SLP-bias. That said, the faculty there is amazing and I miss them very much. They know their stuff and they put students first. They do not have a PhD program as of now, however I've heard rumors of them starting one up in the next five years so it might be there by the time you're ready to start it. At a place where they have a combined program, however, you'll shave two years off the time.

If you want a fantastic clinically-focused program, ISU's the place to go. The AuD students there start seeing clients (although in limited respects at first) almost on day one. Can't say enough good things about the program! I only applied there and UIowa, which was my dream school because of the AuD/PhD and research opportunities. If things ever don't work out at UIowa, I'm so there. Let me know if you have any other questions about ISU or UIowa, and I'll be happy to help!

Iowa right now is my top school, but they only take apps in January which would give me two months to prepare for the GRE and still lack prerequisites for the program. I was looking at tuition which is a big deal considering the salary and for out-of-state students i'm looking at 20,000 each year for just the AuD program. With the dual AuD/PhD program are there grants or other financial aid available? Please PM me if you do not feel comfortable releasing this information to the public.

I see that the joint program is several years long and so i am worried about the ~150k dept.

Thanks
James

Iowa right now is my top school, but they only take apps in January which would give me two months to prepare for the GRE and still lack prerequisites for the program. I was looking at tuition which is a big deal considering the salary and for out-of-state students i'm looking at 20,000 each year for just the AuD program. With the dual AuD/PhD program are there grants or other financial aid available? Please PM me if you do not feel comfortable releasing this information to the public.

I see that the joint program is several years long and so i am worried about the ~150k dept.

Thanks
James

Expected unaided (out of state) costs are something like $40,000/year, including room and board, etc. Some (I'd say like 50%) of us got funding our first year, with the rest likely to get some before the 4 years are up. PhD programs are different... Since you'd be doing research for part of it, you'd have funding. I'm not sure what the situation would be until that point; you'd have to discuss that with the program.

To answer your question, IowaAudiology: I'm having a hard time adjusting to the move, but I'm loving the program so far. Since you wouldn't have to move, I'd say go for it! I'm intellectually challenged for the first time in my life, and the faculty are great.

That's good Elise. I am sure it was hard to move, especially because you are a long way from home. I am not applying to Iowa for my Au.D though because I am not interested in research. I definitely want to be involved clinically.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good Elise. I am sure it was hard to move, especially because you are a long way from home. I am not applying to Iowa for my Au.D though because I am not interested in research. I definitely want to be involved clinically.

I know you're there for undergrad, but have you researched the program much? The AuD is definitely a clinical degree. Involving research as a teaching tool and extra aspect of a well-rounded education is not the same as being a research-only school.

I realize that, but there are also other reasons I am looking elsewhere as well.

I'd be interested to hear which programs tend to be more heavy on research. I personally think it's worth paying attention to if you are an applicant. And when I say "tend to be more heavy on research", I mean how much research an AuD student is expected to do during their four years. At my program, it's the unspoken rule to have a project idea and a mentor by the end of our first year.

Fair enough, I just have to snuff out misconceptions wherever I see 'em. Best of luck in your search!

Do you happen to know if any community colleges in the area offer audiology classes or maybe open campus?

I may take my prerequisites in iowa to 1) be more valuable to universities 2) reduce cost of tuition as i'd be a resident of iowa 3) in-state students have priority generally.

Thanks

3) in-state students have priority generally.

That's not true. Most schools do treat each applicant equally, regardless of being from in-state or out of state. I understand where you are coming from, though. I'm guessing you've noticed that UI's AuD students were originally from Iowa or attended UI as undergrad, but that's only because UI already knew these students. They've paid attention to their work ethics, grades, passion for the field, etc., more than most out-of-state students, except for rEliseME. She went out there and showed her face and kept in contact with them. So, again, each school treats each student equally. I think you have a great shot of getting in as out-of-stater as long as you keep in contact with them and get them to know what you can bring to their table.

Do you happen to know if any community colleges in the area offer audiology classes or maybe open campus?

I may take my prerequisites in iowa to 1) be more valuable to universities 2) reduce cost of tuition as i'd be a resident of iowa 3) in-state students have priority generally.

Thanks

Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless you take less than 3 credit hours (I think), you won't be able to count that time toward residency. It sucks, but it makes sense from the Iowa Government's standpoint. Also, in-state students are not given priority. I'm pretty sure only one of my classmates is from Iowa.

As for community college prerequisites, you should check that out for yourself. Kirkwood CC is nearby, but I don't know what they offer.

That's not true. Most schools do treat each applicant equally, regardless of being from in-state or out of state. I understand where you are coming from, though. I'm guessing you've noticed that UI's AuD students were originally from Iowa or attended UI as undergrad, but that's only because UI already knew these students. They've paid attention to their work ethics, grades, passion for the field, etc., more than most out-of-state students, except for rEliseME. She went out there and showed her face and kept in contact with them. So, again, each school treats each student equally. I think you have a great shot of getting in as out-of-stater as long as you keep in contact with them and get them to know what you can bring to their table.

D'aww, you... Really, though, there are people from all over the country there. My class has at least: Illinois, Wisconsin, Colorado, Utah, Massachusetts, and Idaho.

First off let me just say thank you to all those who come here with the will to answer questions. Without you this place would not exist.

Anyways, I am soon to graduate college with a BSc. in Biology. My GPA for the last 70 units has been 3.5 and with a cumulative of 3.2 (upward trend as last 40 units i've had a 3.8). After reviewing my choices i've decided to pursue audiology as i enjoy patient interaction, especially with kids. I do not have any audiology classes but i've taken lots of biology, math, English, chemistry and other subjects required for my degree. With that said, i am yet to take the GRE which i plan on taking sometime 2012 leaving me ample time to prepare. Do you guys believe i am a competitive candidate for some top audiology programs? And should i postpone my graduation date to knockout some prerequisites?

I am also considering Au.D/Ph.D since i have nearly two years of experience in a immunology and stem cell laboratory with excellent recommendation letters. How's the job-search like for a audiologist that holds dual-degrees?

Thanks

Big sister, do not bother with this degree or path. you will suffer both emotionally and financially. read my rants which people have rejected because they have blindfolds and ears plugged with ipods...

please do intelligent study before embarking on this poorly paid route.
DO NOT DO IT:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Doggiebites, you have issues...

Instead of pointing to my problem
i ask you to be honest to poor souls who are on ther verge of falling into an abyss ..
help them and guide them away from this lousy field

The best thing to do is to let it go. You don't need to repeat anything. Plus, worry about yourself and move on.

I know you're there for undergrad, but have you researched the program much? The AuD is definitely a clinical degree. Involving research as a teaching tool and extra aspect of a well-rounded education is not the same as being a research-only school.

rEliseMe - out of curiosity, how much time to first years spend in the clinic at Iowa? Do you know how many clinical hours you expect to earn this semester? How about research? Do most first-years start research their first semester?

rEliseMe - out of curiosity, how much time to first years spend in the clinic at Iowa? Do you know how many clinical hours you expect to earn this semester? How about research? Do most first-years start research their first semester?

First-years start out at one morning per week (8:30-11:30am) and then move to two mornings per week during the spring semester of the first year. I'm not sure how many hours that works out to the first year, but I do know that clinic hours are not a concern for anyone in the program. I was a little disappointed that it took us so long to get into the clinic (at ISU, first-years start in the clinic almost immediately, whereas it took us about a month), but I'm sure it was helpful for less-experienced first-years to get some orientation before starting out.

I'm working in the Auditory Research Lab with Shawn Goodman, so I'm getting research hours, but it's not part of the program. I think the best answer to your question is, "It depends on what you want." Since I'm very interested in research, I've been given the opportunity to get experience in a research lab. My classmates who are much less interested in research have not been involved so far.

Thanks

You remind me a lot of me, well education background at least. I was a pre-med major and a psychology major. Worked for a microbiology lab for 5 years and 2 years in a molecular genetics lab. Worked for a bio tech company for over a year after undergrad and then went into Audiology.

Your GPA will be completely fine. Just be up front with why your GPA isn't closer to a 4.0. Anyone with a thread of smarts will recognize that organic chemistry, physics, high level biological sciences, chemistry, and cell bio classes are light years harder than communication science courses or Psychology courses. Just be up front with it that because of your major being a lot harder and more rigorous, that your GPA is a little lower. In my experience, many schools love non-communication science majors, especially hard science majors. Audiology grad school will be a breeze for you from what undergrad was, I know it was for me. My brain just works clinically. Always has. As for your pre-reqs for communication science courses, you will need those and usually before you apply for grad school. Check your credit hours and courses required for pre-reqs for audiology and meet with the schools you are interested in and speak with their director and they can tell you what pre-reqs you would need to complete.

With your excellent background (and a damn fine GPA for pre-med!) you might be able to wrangle an admission contingent upon you finishing your pre-reqs before the fall and getting a high enough GPA. That would be what I'd try.

As for you wanting to go to top ranked schools, well it's nice to say you did, but to be quite honest I don't think it makes much difference in the hiring process. I know I had more job offers than I could even entertain all over the country when I finished audiology school with my hard science background. As one poster here posted in a non-eloquent way, the pay isn't great, so I'd go bargain budget on the education. Audiology school gives you back what you put into it.

As for research, I know my program required a year long research project and they usually help you get it published. Mine was published and if you want to continue research you can check in to a PhD link program that many schools now offer to get the AuD and then a couple more years you can get your PhD.

If Audiology is what you want to do, with your background you'd be a strong candidate. I will throw this out here (and don't take it as a slight or insult), but with your background have you thought about becoming a nurse practitioner or physician assistant? With your background in 2 years you could be a PA and making double what an audiologist makes or be a nurse practitioner and same thing make double the salary. As a mid-level provider you get a decent amount of time with your patients, which fills that desire you have. If Audiology is what you are sure you want to pursue then, by all means do it! Good luck!

Your GPA will be completely fine. Just be up front with why your GPA isn't closer to a 4.0. Anyone with a thread of smarts will recognize that organic chemistry, physics, high level biological sciences, chemistry, and cell bio classes are light years harder than communication science courses or Psychology courses.

YES! So true! I was actually a double major nursing and pyschology before switching to Comm Disorders (I switched for personal reasons). I certainly remember all those chemistry and bio classes, especially math! I was doing very well in those, but it was pain to get those grades than it was in Comm disorders. EarDoc is right, schools do love to welcome students from different backgrounds especially from the sciences. I haven't started grad school, yet, but you'll be more than ready than most comm disorders majors. Be up front about your GPA to the admissions.

Hmm... i am contemplating applying to ISU considering they don't require the GRE for 3.5+ GPA and then following up with a PhD program elsewhere.

Although physicians assistant pays well, i enjoy a 9-5 schedule despite the $30k+ in pay. The two year school program would be nice too!

So i am enrolling in my classes as we speak, but i was wondering if i should take human anatomy and physiology rather then anatomy and physiology of hearing because it would apply to other programs such as PA incase things do not work out. Do you think audiology programs will care for the slight difference in course?

Hmm... i am contemplating applying to ISU considering they don't require the GRE for 3.5+ GPA and then following up with a PhD program elsewhere.

Although physicians assistant pays well, i enjoy a 9-5 schedule despite the $30k+ in pay. The two year school program would be nice too!

So i am enrolling in my classes as we speak, but i was wondering if i should take human anatomy and physiology rather then anatomy and physiology of hearing because it would apply to other programs such as PA incase things do not work out. Do you think audiology programs will care for the slight difference in course?

First of all, don't not take the GRE just because a >3.5 GPA doesn't require it. If you want to apply anywhere else, you need those GRE scores. From what I know about ISU, they don't get that many applicants, so if you meet the requirements there's a good chance you'll get in. That doesn't mean it's not a strenuous program, though; they prepare their students very well!

I had to take both A&P and A&P of Speech and Hearing, so I'm not sure what other programs require.

I wouldn't see a PA program as a back-up option; I'm sure it's way harder to get into than an Au.D. program. Just my $.02.

I wouldn't see a PA program as a back-up option; I'm sure it's way harder to get into than an Au.D. program. Just my $.02.

Take the more in depth medical based anatomy. You will be ahead of the curve web you get into audiology school. I know our first year we had to take a neuro science anatomy course. Most people spent hours studying and cramming. Me and another bio major in my program never cracked a book because the medical school model was like breathing to us.

The speech and hearing anatomy course was an easy A for me. Heč take both and pad your GPA some. Also you will improve your chances if you get a near 4.0 GPA for communication science classes.

As for the pa thing. It is always a back up and most schools count pre reqs for 10 years so if you decide audiology isn't your gig you can also go back to PA. I will say it was much harder to get accepted into PA school than audiology. They usually only take top GPA's with high gre scores and prior medical experience such as an EMT, nurse, or paramedic. Very selective admissions and the schooling is much more intense. One could work and put some effort into audiology school and still skate by. One cannot do that in PA school.

If you are intending to go the PhD track (AuD-PhD or a PhD later on), I strongly suggest you not only take the GRE but do well on it. AuD programs are flexible when it comes to GRE scores but for PhD programs, it's a whole different ball game. You have to be strong all across the board. Most AuD-PhD students in my program have at least a 3.8+ by the time they apply 2nd year and often have strong GRE scores as well (I would consider above 1200 a strong score). There isn't much room for error if you want to pursue a PhD whether during your AuD program or after. Programs and research mentors don't want to waste their money and energy on anyone who has less than sterling credentials. This is where the numbers matter.

If you are 100% sure that you want to pursue a PhD, I would look to more research intensive programs. Programs that offer the AuD-PhD also do a good job of giving their students the foundation in which to pursue the PhD later on.

yes they will. you need to take the anatomy and physiology of hearing. it fulfills certification requirements. take both if you can and you'll be better off but you need that class.

Update:

I took the following courses in effort to fulfill many requirements, some i couldn't take without prerequisites.

Introduction to Language Development
Anatomy of Hearing Sciences
Research in Human Communications
Phonetics

The GPA for this semester is going to be 3.75.... as i was also enrolled in (3 Units) independent study lab in the field of immunology/stem cell research as well as (3 Units) helped prepare/teach a laboratory class. In total it was a 18 unit semester.

Summer plans are to study for the GRE and pickup 100 hours of volunteer work at a hospital or clinical atmosphere. I plan on applying this winter.... any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm actually starting ISU this fall. Ultimately I want to work in Pediatrics so I chose it because they have an excellent clinic program and prepare their students well. They also have great clinics on campus and work with the local hospital for all their new born hearing screening. Overall if a clinically focused prgm is what you want I would say ISU. Yes it is pretty small I think only 8 are starting this fall and for me that made it better than other schools I got accepted to. I think I had a 3.4 or so when I applied on my last 60 but I will say my GREs could've been higher. I had great letters of recommendations and experience shadowing an audiologist. When I applied they did not require a SOP but I still sent one in. I'm moving all the way from New York City. Everyone who I have spoken to at the school is really great and current students speak highly of it and say they feel as if they're getting great clinical experience. I think by time you finish the first year you have 100+ patient contact hrs. I'm leaning towards my Ph.D after because I want to teach just haven't thought of a research area or anything I'm interested in. Also with ISU they allow to change residency and for me that is great i'll be paying close to nothing starting my 2nd year. Look at all the components when applying to a school. If audiology is what you really want go for it, if you're nervous apply to a few school. I know Uni of Nebraska doesn't require GREs. Also it is slightly "easier" to get into school in that side of the world (lol) many of my friends who only stuck to east coast schools did not get in so i'm really excited right now. Good Luck and i'm sure you'll be fine, I felt the same way as you and I got into about three school out of the 9 i applied to.

Congratulations! ISU is my alma mater. They do have a great program and dedicated faculty who will really help you grow. I think your class has 10 or 11 students, or at least that's what I heard. Clinic will be packed but you'll have lots of peer support.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile