Questions that keep recurring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I can't do anything about the "what are my chances?" threads. But, is there anything that is appearing over and over that I should add to the FAQ?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think that there is enough interest to start a 25 and older sub-forum?
That thread is getting long....
;)

The med students have a nontraditional's forum. I'm not sure that there is a huge difference in the application process for pharmacy nontraditionals, or enough interest for a separate forum. If more people express interest, though, it might be doable. How many people are actively posting in the nontraditional's thread?

I want to add an International Pharmacy Forum at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think traditionally, pharmacy offers a better situation to keep a healthy family and work balance going.
Is no secret that it may be easier to come home for dinner if you are a pharmacist than if you are a doctor, generally speaking.
So I am willing to bet, pharmacy attracts more of the over 25 crowd than the Med forum. Many more women choose pharmacy than MD programs also for this reason. (Secondary to vocational reasons, we hope)
Start a poll!

Do you feel that the questions that the "nontraditional" student faces are really a whole lot different than those of nontraditional students? I kind of wonder if we'd end up with duplication of content. Then again we could word the description such that it was very specific. I'll put up a poll.

What defines nontraditional anyway? Those who didn't get into a school two years out of high school? Because I'd wager that most of the P1s yearly are older than 20. I'm 26, and sure, if things had been different, I would already be practicing by now, but life happened the way it was supposed to happen.

Then you have the issue of those who are married and/or have kids, but a considerable size of my class specifically falls into this category. About half of those who matriculated also had 4-year degrees.

So I'm not really understand what "nontraditional" means. We all have to go through a similar application process.

Two of the three schools I interviewed with said that 24 was the mean age for an entering pharmacy student. I don't think that's "old"... I hope not cause I'm 24 myself :)

bananaface said:
I was 24 when I started. The thing is some ppl have families at 20 while others at 27 (like me) don't. nontraditional is usually associated w/ ppl who are on a career path change, not just older.

In that case, I'm a "nontraditional" since I'm changing from engineering to pharmacy. I'm also 24 but happy to hear this is the mean age for entering students. I think having a separate forum is a good idea.

bananaface said:
Do you feel that the questions that the "nontraditional" student faces are really a whole lot different than those of nontraditional students? I kind of wonder if we'd end up with duplication of content. Then again we could word the description such that it was very specific. I'll put up a poll.
no...

what difference does it really make to the adcoms? do they give you a different application than those who are applying with a BS that are just graduating....

i mean they have the thread... if it gets too long close it and start a new one.

or if you really want someone to talk to PM them and get their screen name...

if one of them would want to host a chat every now and then i'm sure banana wouldn't mind nor would future however... i wouldn't expet them to have to do it nor would it have to be a "SDN event"

and sorry folks...
you will get the 19-20 year old
HELP I THINK I'M IN THE WRONG MAJOR threads as they consider that a career change

But hey...
if you all want to do that then have fun
doesn't make any difference to me

I don't think the pre-medical students nontraditional area gets slammed with those kind of questions. Here is what their area looks like http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110 I think if we do this it would be best to label it as a place for both current and prospective students to talk about special issues that pertain to being nontraditional, such as entering school with kids already in the family, approaching adcoms as a career changer, and balancing home and family life. The medical one is only for premeds. But, I like an integrated approach for that because it creates an integrated support network.

Let's see how many people would use such a forum and go from there.

I think besides juggling kids and quitting jobs there is also the:
Are my credits too old question and how schools treat those.
(I don't even want to ask. I have a BS from 1997 and I don't want to retake any classes.)
I think it would be nice to have the subforum... However I am enjoying myself all the same, mixing it up...
We all go through the same process, whether 21 or 31...