Questions/tips on upcoming cycle for below avg stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothhype

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i took my dat recently in august and got 19 AA and 19 TS with 17 PAT... i have around 3.4 overall gpa and 3.2 science gpa as econ major… so i do have 2 research publications and did start a fraternity at my school and have some work experience as tutor and am currently working at a private dental practice for over a year now….

1) how should i go about completing my remaining pre-reqs of Physics II and Biochemistry? i tried to register for classes this fall but there was no space in my local universities and i was unable to get enrolled because of that….

2)Anything i should do in my gap year to further strengthen my application since my stats are so low?

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into retaking your DAT because I think getting it up above a 20 can help. Your science GPA is pretty low for a non-science major, so I would take more upper division classes (Physiology, Virology, Immunology) to help raise your GPAs and also expose you to the material a little bit before dental school.

For the pre-reqs, I would try to take them at a CC (last option though) if you aren't able to take them spring semester.

For gap year, I would take classes as a non-degree seeking student still, like those upper division science classes I mentioned. I really think those will help you the most because your sGPA is really low when you aren't majoring in a science. You need to show that you can handle the academic rigor of dental school, and as it stands, your GPA + DAT scores currently do not show this. Other than that, keep working and volunteering.