Should I apply this cycle with an average / below average GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CleverPython

Reaction score
Date of submission: 1/23/24 (Have not applied yet, possibly applying this cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.18
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Have not taken yet
State of Residence: NY

Undergrad Attended: NYU
Major: Anthropology
Minor: Possible minor in Irish Studies
Reapplicant? No
Not a non trad

Shadowing Experience: General Dentist, 40 hours at the moment, will continue and will shadow orthodontist

Volunteering Experience: Aprox 2000 at the time of application: EMS, Volunteer Firefighter, Assistant Scoutmaster of Boyscout Troop, First Aid Instructor of Scouts

Employment: EMT, ER Tech 500 Hours, medical direct or summer kids camp
Research: None at the moment, currently trying to setup an independent study with cultural / linguistic anthropology and applying for research

Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; includes athletics, military, leadership, etc.

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadow faculty, etc. No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Eagle Scout Award

LOR type and strength: Still doing

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Part of pre dental club since start of year, will be going dental mission trip for a week later this year, may be able to get involved in archeology digs later this year

School list: Tufts, Touro, NE Uni (not sure since few out of state students are accepted), BU, Buffalo, NYU

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 1/23/24 (Have not applied yet, possibly applying this cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.18
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Have not taken yet
State of Residence: NY

Undergrad Attended: NYU
Major: Anthropology
Minor: Possible minor in Irish Studies
Reapplicant? No
Not a non trad

Shadowing Experience: General Dentist, 40 hours at the moment, will continue and will shadow orthodontist

Volunteering Experience: Aprox 2000 at the time of application: EMS, Volunteer Firefighter, Assistant Scoutmaster of Boyscout Troop, First Aid Instructor of Scouts

Employment: EMT, ER Tech 500 Hours, medical direct or summer kids camp
Research: None at the moment, currently trying to setup an independent study with cultural / linguistic anthropology and applying for research

Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; includes athletics, military, leadership, etc.

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadow faculty, etc. No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Eagle Scout Award

LOR type and strength: Still doing

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Part of pre dental club since start of year, will be going dental mission trip for a week later this year, may be able to get involved in archeology digs later this year

School list: Tufts, Touro, NE Uni (not sure since few out of state students are accepted), BU, Buffalo, NYU
minority?

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you graduating? Where did you grow up in NY? What is your BCP GPA? When are you planning to take the DAT? (Can't give you a strong analysis without a valid official score.)

I graduate May 2025, grew up outside of the city, Westchester county. BCP GPA would be closer to 3.15, but am trying to get that to rise with orgo and physics this semester. Ideally I would take the DAT mid august after orgo II if I can get it during the summer semester.

Last edited:
???

how come you haven't spoken to your prehealth advisor previously?

I’m speaking with them this week they were completely off for the break. For minority, I don’t think so! Im mixed white and Filipino I don’t think that would count

Ideally I would take the DAT mid august after orgo II if I can get it during the summer semester.
Then definitely do not apply this June. Wait until next cycle after you have a great DAT. If you apply late with a low DAT to add to a low GPA, that will likely relegate you to be a reapplicant, and then you have to show significant improvement in your GPA and DAT before applying again. Do it right the first time. Your lack of a strong relationship with your prehealth advising office further makes your chances more difficult.

If this means you'll have a gap year, then you'll have a gap year to work on the current deficiencies. As it stands, you are not well set up for a strong application.

Reactions: 1 users
I see, thank you. If I got a good DAT would it be worth it to apply this cycle or would it be best to wait?

Also, so since I have another year ontop of this summer and semester, would I still need to do a post Bach or masters for my application if I do well while I’m the remainder of my undergrad?

Last edited:
I’m speaking with them this week they were completely off for the break. For minority, I don’t think so! Im mixed white and Filipino I don’t think that would count
while asian is over-represented, filipino is not
but not sure how much that helps...

you should have been in touch with pre-health since you got the idea to go dental
they should be your first resource, along with a predental club
but that said, prehealth advisors and predental clubs vary in how good they are...

Reactions: 1 user
I see, thank you. If I got a good DAT would it be worth it to apply this cycle or would it be best to wait?

Also, so since I have another year ontop of this summer and semester, would I still need to do a post Bach or masters for my application if I do well while I’m the remainder of my undergrad?
you would have to wait until after doing well on the DAT to start on aadsas and writing your personal statements/secondary applications
that takes 2-4 weeks at least...

if you get a good dat score and get as close to 4.0 as you can, you hopefully won't need to do postbacc/masters