questions to ask a Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a DO to shadow, not sure how thrilled he sounded over the phone. But Id like to go with some questions to ask him that aren't all the run of the mill questions, like about OMT, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask him if he has some free time to meet with you. This way you may be able to get a letter from him and possibly even shadow him. I did this with several DOs and they were all receptive to my needs and expressed a sincere interest in my plans.

neuro

he already agreed to meet me tommorow at the hospital and let me watch him do what he does, everything was pretty open ended. He said any day anytime just show up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell him what your intentions are. If you are looking for someone long term to shadow and he is unable to, or unwilling, maybe he can recommend another physician that is more open to the idea. When shadowing a DO for an eventual LOR, it makes the experience so much better if you're paired with a physician who enjoys teaching, as opposed to one who you get the feeling you're wasting their time.

I was lucky that I found a DO who was younger, and more enthusiastic about letting me shadow him once a week in his practice and the hospital, as well as spending lots of time telling me what to expect in medical school. It helped that he just started his practice so he wasn't as busy as a more established doctor.

As far as questions, ask him about omt, if he uses it, why or why not, his opinion of omt, if he regrets going into medicine (I'm amazed how many doctors tried to tell me not to go into medicine), if he drives a mercedez or bmw etc.

The question I would ask a DO is:

" What was the REAL reason you went to a DO school? "

Originally posted by slave4MD

Probably the REAL reason anyone goes to any school: Geography, tuition cost, quality of education, philosophy of practice, career opportunities.

Slave, based upon this thread and others, you seem to have some very negative attitudes about osteopathic medicine and DO's. Where did you acquire these attitudes?

What's up with your screen name, by the way? Are you on the lookout for a dominatrix with an MD degree?

Originally posted by indo
"What's up with your screen name, by the way? Are you on the lookout for a dominatrix with an MD degree?"

She could beat your ass then give you stitches.

I don't mind. She could beat my ass ( ummmmm........) and then a fine DO from whatever-COM could come over and stitch it real good.

I don't mind. She could beat my ass ( ummmmm........) and then a fine DO from whatever-COM could come over and stitch it real good.

Well, better make sure the DO brings in her transcripts and official MCAT score before she stitches you. You wouldn't want to be touched by anyone under a 30Q!

Actually you can choose from the girls at OSU-COM. We got some fine wimminz in the class of 2006.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: