Questions to ask when joining a group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barleycorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be starting a pain fellowship after a year in private practice anesthesia. I'm currently working at a surgery center owned by a pain group that seems to be doing well. We have talked about my "working there" after fellowship, doing anesthesia and pain procedures there for shares (don't know how many and how much to ask for) in the surgery center, using their office space and staff. Payer mix seems good. However, I would have to grow my practice from scratch essentially and scare up business for myself, in a pretty competitive East Coast area. I could of course always do anesthesia to cover the "ramp up" period.

Does this seem like an ok deal to anyone? Any key questions to ask/potential pitfalls? I am as skilled in the business of private pain practice as any anesthesia graduate, that is, not at all.

Members don't see this ad.

too little information to give an answer. i think you will get a better idea if you see a contract.
just keep in mind no one will hand you equal share to any practice, and will look for ways to make some money off of you.

too little information to give an answer. i think you will get a better idea if you see a contract.
just keep in mind no one will hand you equal share to any practice, and will look for ways to make some money off of you.
Agree to little information depending on local regulation ASC share can only. Be given to those who do procedures (extension of your practice) so generally you have to bring cases then be voted in by current owners. This is separate from joining a practice and building a patient panel. You need to know where those patients come from how new patients are divided ect. It may take a year or two to build up enough volume to get voted in the ASC(again political so get your answer in writing)