Questions to non-traditional students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Broccolo

Reaction score
Hi, I am considering doing a post bacc as a non-traditional student, but I am not sure how should I set up my semester-by-semester plan/schedule. I have a degree in social science and I have almost 0 background in bio/chem. I was a high achiever in school so I did well academically, though. I am not sure if this plan is even feasible--I feel like it is too tight and it would not give me enough time to complete enough ECs and study for the DAT--but here is the rough 2-year plan, assuming quitting my full-time job:

Fall 1: two courses from bio/chem/ochem + volunteer/shadow/work as a dental assistant/etc.
Spring 1: two courses from bio/chem/ochem + volunteer/shadow/work as a dental assistant/etc.
Summer 1 : study DAT + take DAT + apply

Fall 2: physics and remaining prereqs + continue working on shadowing and other EC
Spring 2: physics and remaining prereqs + continue working on shadowing and other EC
Summer 2

Fall: Dental School

1. Would you mind sharing your timeline? (From the start of your first post-bacc semester to entry to dental school)
2. Were you working full-time during post bacc years?
3. (If your schedule looked similar to what I wrote above: ) So basically you only had one year to get all the shadowing and volunteering hours & study and take the DAT & apply. Am I understanding correctly?
4. How many classes should I take each semester? I have never taken a college-level science course but I feel like 2 labs per semester would be the maximum.. I’m considering being a full-time student, though.
5. Would you recommend completing all the bio, chem, and ochem prereqs before taking DAT? I've heard that it's super helpful to take ochem right before taking the DAT but I'm not sure about the other prereqs. (Are booster/bootcamp/online resources enough to prepare you for the DAT?)
6. When did you take the DAT? & while you were studying for the DAT, were you taking any classes/working for any jobs/etc?
7. How long did you study for the DAT?

I apologize for asking too many questions, but I would love to hear about your journey. If you could only answer a few of those questions, that would still be extremely helpful for me! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Would you mind sharing your timeline? (From the start of your first post-bacc semester to entry to dental school)
I didn't do a formal post-bacc. I just looked up the classes I needed to take and then ran them with a school counselor. This way I knew I was taking the right pre-reqs. If you take them at a 4-year, you can look up the classes themselves (at least on TMDSAS) to make sure they count, but I did them all at CC's because I didn't want to waste my money. I worked part-time in the evenings, and my first semester I would only take one class at a day, and then go work in the evenings. Second semester on, I took all the classes I was taking on the same days, and then not work on those days, and on days I would be working, I wouldn't have class that day. Honestly I liked the second schedule format better. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I will clarify in more detail. But my schedule follows like this:

Before first fall semester: did majority of shadowing
1st semester (Fall): Bio I/Chem I
In between this, I undertook some more shadowing hours and volunteer service.
2nd semester (Spring): Bio II/Chem II
3rd semester (Summer): OChem I
4th semester (Fall II): OChem II/Physics I
5th semester (Spring II): Physics II/DAT studying and DAT itself/applied to dental school
In between this spring and upcoming summer I took Biochem at a quarter-system school
6th semester (Summer II) & 7th semester (Fall III): took extra bio classes required for my schools
Hell no. I know most non-trads do. I, however, am not terrible with money and know how to live within my means, so I had no issues with the reduced income. I couldn't do this, however, if I was taking the classes at some overpriced 4-year. (The schools I applied to do not require pre-reqs at a 4-year.) I found life more enjoyable and tolerable this way.
3. (If your schedule looked similar to what I wrote above: ) So basically you only had one year to get all the shadowing and volunteering hours & study and take the DAT & apply. Am I understanding correctly?
I was able to spread out the shadowing luckily. I didn't want to interfere with my DAT studying if at all possible. I feel you really need to take the studying seriously and treat it like it's a class itself. As for extracurriculars, I already had excellent ones done before I started this journey (in my opinion), so I didn't have to do too much new volunteering.
4. How many classes should I take each semester? I have never taken a college-level science course but I feel like 2 labs per semester would be the maximum.. I’m considering being a full-time student, though.
They told me you shouldn't take more than 2 "science-major" science courses a semester, and that is what I did. I'm sure you could do more? I liked how I did it, though. I got almost all A's this way, and never felt too overwhelmed with school.
5. Would you recommend completing all the bio, chem, and ochem prereqs before taking DAT? I've heard that it's super helpful to take ochem right before taking the DAT but I'm not sure about the other prereqs. (Are booster/bootcamp/online resources enough to prepare you for the DAT?)
I personally would recommend doing all your bio, chem, and orgo classes before DAT studying, yes. You need to be reviewing those during DAT prep, not learning new things. That is just my opinion. Also, start studying for the DAT as soon as you're done with those, best to review while that knowledge is relatively fresh. I only used Booster. I had no issues. I'm in the camp where I do not think more resources are better though. I never understood people who spent money on Booster, Bootcamp, and Kaplan all at once... how they gonna find time in their day to review everything those all have to offer? More isn't better.
6. When did you take the DAT? & while you were studying for the DAT, were you taking any classes/working for any jobs/etc?
See above. I reduced my hours slightly at work. I wasn't spending money anyways, being cooped up at home all day studying non-stop regardless, yet even with the reduction in pay my budget became a small surplus. Strange... regardless DAT prep (at least for me) should be taken seriously.
I think it was around 3 months, but I paid the small price to delay it like a month or two more, and I'm glad I did.

Hi! I also did post-bacc as a non-traditional student. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask questions.

• Post-bacc (Fall 2019 - Spring 2021)
    • Fall 2019: general chemistry I and physics I + labs
    • Spring 2020: general chemistry II and physics II + labs
    • Summer I 2020: biology I + lab
    • Summer II 2020: biology II + lab
    • Fall 2020: o chem + lab + shadowing + clinical research
    • Spring 2021: o chem + lab + biochemistry + shadowing + clinical research
    • May 2021: DAT prep
  • DAT (May 2021)
  • Applications (June 2021)
  • Matriculation (Fall 2022)
  • I was working multiple part-time jobs during post bacc (equivalent to about 3/4 to full-time).
4. How many classes should I take each semester? I have never taken a college-level science course but I feel like 2 labs per semester would be the maximum. I’m considering being a full-time student, though.
  • In generaI, I took about 2 classes + labs per semester.
  • Yes, I recommend taking the prereqs before taking the DAT. I took organic chemistry right before taking the DAT, and it helped a lot.
  • I took my DAT in May 2021. I took a break from work after completing the spring semester to study for the DAT.
  • 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do a formal post-bacc. I just looked up the classes I needed to take and then ran them with a school counselor. This way I knew I was taking the right pre-reqs. If you take them at a 4-year, you can look up the classes themselves (at least on TMDSAS) to make sure they count, but I did them all at CC's because I didn't want to waste my money. I worked part-time in the evenings, and my first semester I would only take one class at a day, and then go work in the evenings. Second semester on, I took all the classes I was taking on the same days, and then not work on those days, and on days I would be working, I wouldn't have class that day. Honestly I liked the second schedule format better. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I will clarify in more detail. But my schedule follows like this:

Before first fall semester: did majority of shadowing
1st semester (Fall): Bio I/Chem I
In between this, I undertook some more shadowing hours and volunteer service.
2nd semester (Spring): Bio II/Chem II
3rd semester (Summer): OChem I
4th semester (Fall II): OChem II/Physics I
5th semester (Spring II): Physics II/DAT studying and DAT itself/applied to dental school
In between this spring and upcoming summer I took Biochem at a quarter-system school
6th semester (Summer II) & 7th semester (Fall III): took extra bio classes required for my schools

Hell no. I know most non-trads do. I, however, am not terrible with money and know how to live within my means, so I had no issues with the reduced income. I couldn't do this, however, if I was taking the classes at some overpriced 4-year. (The schools I applied to do not require pre-reqs at a 4-year.) I found life more enjoyable and tolerable this way.

I was able to spread out the shadowing luckily. I didn't want to interfere with my DAT studying if at all possible. I feel you really need to take the studying seriously and treat it like it's a class itself. As for extracurriculars, I already had excellent ones done before I started this journey (in my opinion), so I didn't have to do too much new volunteering.

They told me you shouldn't take more than 2 "science-major" science courses a semester, and that is what I did. I'm sure you could do more? I liked how I did it, though. I got almost all A's this way, and never felt too overwhelmed with school.

I personally would recommend doing all your bio, chem, and orgo classes before DAT studying, yes. You need to be reviewing those during DAT prep, not learning new things. That is just my opinion. Also, start studying for the DAT as soon as you're done with those, best to review while that knowledge is relatively fresh. I only used Booster. I had no issues. I'm in the camp where I do not think more resources are better though. I never understood people who spent money on Booster, Bootcamp, and Kaplan all at once... how they gonna find time in their day to review everything those all have to offer? More isn't better.

See above. I reduced my hours slightly at work. I wasn't spending money anyways, being cooped up at home all day studying non-stop regardless, yet even with the reduction in pay my budget became a small surplus. Strange... regardless DAT prep (at least for me) should be taken seriously.

I think it was around 3 months, but I paid the small price to delay it like a month or two more, and I'm glad I did.
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. May I ask which schools did you apply to? I know there are many schools that 'accept' credits from community colleges, but I am still not sure whether taking prereqs from CC would hurt my chance for those schools. (If they prefer applicants who have taken prereqs from 4-year universities)

Hi! I also did post-bacc as a non-traditional student. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask questions.

• Post-bacc (Fall 2019 - Spring 2021)
    • Fall 2019: general chemistry I and physics I + labs
    • Spring 2020: general chemistry II and physics II + labs
    • Summer I 2020: biology I + lab
    • Summer II 2020: biology II + lab
    • Fall 2020: o chem + lab + shadowing + clinical research
    • Spring 2021: o chem + lab + biochemistry + shadowing + clinical research
    • May 2021: DAT prep
  • DAT (May 2021)
  • Applications (June 2021)
  • Matriculation (Fall 2022)
  • I was working multiple part-time jobs during post bacc (equivalent to about 3/4 to full-time).
4. How many classes should I take each semester? I have never taken a college-level science course but I feel like 2 labs per semester would be the maximum. I’m considering being a full-time student, though.
  • In generaI, I took about 2 classes + labs per semester.
  • Yes, I recommend taking the prereqs before taking the DAT. I took organic chemistry right before taking the DAT, and it helped a lot.
  • I took my DAT in May 2021. I took a break from work after completing the spring semester to study for the DAT.
  • 2 weeks.
Thank you! May I ask (roughly) how many hours did you spend per day studying DAT + what study materials did you use? Also, did you take your prereqs at 4-year university? If so, did you have any problem enrolling in prereq courses as a post-bacc student? The state school near my house gives the lowest enrollment priority to post-bacc students so I feel like I won't be able to register for the courses I need to take...

Thank you! May I ask (roughly) how many hours did you spend per day studying DAT + what study materials did you use? Also, did you take your prereqs at 4-year university? If so, did you have any problem enrolling in prereq courses as a post-bacc student? The state school near my house gives the lowest enrollment priority to post-bacc students so I feel like I won't be able to register for the courses I need to take...
No problem! I think I spent about 10-12 hours per day studying. I used CrackDAT, but I don't honestly recommend it. Some parts were outdated and too simple or difficult compared to the actual DAT. I did take my prereqs at a 4-year university, and the classes prepared me well for the DAT and dental school. I didn't have any trouble enrolling in prereqs because I was in a formal post-bacc program that offered separate courses for post-bacc students. I understand the concern... I faced the same issue before enrolling in a formal post-bacc program.

Does your state school offer any formal post-bacc program?
Have you looked into any post-bacc programs that offer linkage to save some time?
Are you trying to save money or maximize your chances?

No problem! I think I spent about 10-12 hours per day studying. I used CrackDAT, but I don't honestly recommend it. Some parts were outdated and too simple or difficult compared to the actual DAT. I did take my prereqs at a 4-year university, and the classes prepared me well for the DAT and dental school. I didn't have any trouble enrolling in prereqs because I was in a formal post-bacc program that offered separate courses for post-bacc students. I understand the concern... I faced the same issue before enrolling in a formal post-bacc program.

Does your state school offer any formal post-bacc program?
Have you looked into any post-bacc programs that offer linkage to save some time?
Are you trying to save money or maximize your chances?
The nearest state school does not offer any formal post-bacc program :( I'm in CA and it seems like some other state schools do offer formal post-bacc pre-health programs, but I would have to relocate if I choose to enroll. Maximizing my chances is my top priority, but ofc I don't want to spend tons of money haha.
Are there any post-bacc programs that offer linkages to dental schools? I know there are many formal pre-med programs that offer linkages to med schools, but I couldn't find any programs that link their students to dental schools for career changers/non traditionals. (For example, Creighton's formal pre-dental post-bacc requires applicants to "have applied to, and been denied entry into, a dental school.")

May I ask which formal post-bacc program did you attend? (Did you have to relocate just for that program?) I would also love to know if that formal program prepares you well for the dental school application process. (e.g. research opportunities, advising, etc.)

The nearest state school does not offer any formal post-bacc program :( I'm in CA and it seems like some other state schools do offer formal post-bacc pre-health programs, but I would have to relocate if I choose to enroll. Maximizing my chances is my top priority, but ofc I don't want to spend tons of money haha.
Are there any post-bacc programs that offer linkages to dental schools? I know there are many formal pre-med programs that offer linkages to med schools, but I couldn't find any programs that link their students to dental schools for career changers/non traditionals. (For example, Creighton's formal pre-dental post-bacc requires applicants to "have applied to, and been denied entry into, a dental school.")

May I ask which formal post-bacc program did you attend? (Did you have to relocate just for that program?) I would also love to know if that formal program prepares you well for the dental school application process. (e.g. research opportunities, advising, etc.)

There are quite a few and they are usually Masters in oral biology or health. At least BU, Rutgers, and Texas A&M. Need to get my list...

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. May I ask which schools did you apply to? I know there are many schools that 'accept' credits from community colleges, but I am still not sure whether taking prereqs from CC would hurt my chance for those schools. (If they prefer applicants who have taken prereqs from 4-year universities)
I have a friend who's undergoing the same dental school process I am; she's also a non-trad but is a few classes behind me at the moment. She did what you wanted to do, which is take the pre-reqs at a 4-year (not a formal post-bac though, as she doesn't have her bachelor's at the moment). The schools that she and I are shooting for do not make a distinction about pre-reqs in any official sense, but she feels that she will be looked at "better" if she had done those classes there. I am not on an admissions committee, so obviously what I'm going to say next I am pulling out of thin air, but I do not think they really care where you got them taken, as long as you maintain a high GPA and a obtain a competitive DAT score.

At the end of the day, she feels that taking them at the 4-year will give her application a slight "edge" (more than compared to mine), however true or not it may be. I will agree that it's a possibility that they do look favorably at 4-year credits, but I weighed that option against the much higher costs, and personally I could not justify it, so I stuck with CC credits. Do what you gotta do, what you think is best.

There are quite a few and they are usually Masters in oral biology or health. At least BU, Rutgers, and Texas A&M. Need to get my list...
It seems like those programs are for students who have already taken prerequisite courses (as the programs do not offer courses like physics series, ochem, etc.) :') Also it seems like they don't have linkages to dental schools..? but I might be wrong

As an advisor.. what are your thoughts on non-traditionals who have taken prerequisite courses at community colleges? I actually had a chance to talk with a current dental student (non-traditional), and he had a good GPA, strong ECs, and a decent DAT score along with prereq credits from a community college. He didn't even get a single interview; he was advised to do a prehealth master's program. After completing his masters, he was able to get offers from multiple schools. He told me that the admission committees do not care whether applicants are trad or non-trad when they review applicants' applications & even if the advisors tell you "we accept CC credits and we value your experience as a non-trad" -- they still DEFINITELY prefer credits from 4-year universities. (One of the advisors even told him that the reason he didn't get in was due to his CC credits.)

I know this might vary from school to school, but I would love to hear your opinions. To be honest, I am 100% willing to pay for a prehealth post-bacc program if it really provides students solid assistance. However most of the schools don't even provide an accurate % of students who get accepted to dental schools, so... I really don't know what should I do.

I have a friend who's undergoing the same dental school process I am; she's also a non-trad but is a few classes behind me at the moment. She did what you wanted to do, which is take the pre-reqs at a 4-year (not a formal post-bac though, as she doesn't have her bachelor's at the moment). The schools that she and I are shooting for do not make a distinction about pre-reqs in any official sense, but she feels that she will be looked at "better" if she had done those classes there. I am not on an admissions committee, so obviously what I'm going to say next I am pulling out of thin air, but I do not think they really care where you got them taken, as long as you maintain a high GPA and a obtain a competitive DAT score.

At the end of the day, she feels that taking them at the 4-year will give her application a slight "edge" (more than compared to mine), however true or not it may be. I will agree that it's a possibility that they do look favorably at 4-year credits, but I weighed that option against the much higher costs, and personally I could not justify it, so I stuck with CC credits. Do what you gotta do, what you think is best.
Thanks. tbh I think the only viable option for me is going to CC, but... I really can't decide haha.
Would you mind sharing your stats? How many volunteer and shadowing hours did you have, and did you have any other ECs (leadership experience, research experience--which I think is almost impossible to get if you go to CC?)

For what I know, those masters in oral biology programs have direct linkages to the host dental schools, though I don't know how much it has changed. That said, if it isn't appropriate for you, then it's moot.

I don't know of any schools that completely frown on CC courses. Many will hold a limit for coursework at a CC, but most committees are reasonable given individual situations (like if you are doing this as a postbac). I don't know about your friend because I don't know what GPA and science grades the person had when graduating. Obviously there still is a bias towards 4-year institutions because most professors came from that background, but given the exorbitant expense of university and some options to take CC courses for free, more people are flexible. There is also a lot of data that says that individuals from low-income or underrepresented/socioeconomically disadvantaged status have CC coursework. The challenge is knowing the quality of teaching at a CC since it will have a greater variance than undergrad programs simply because there are many more CC's.

I agree that the real advantage of paying more for a bonafide postbac program is the student support. You need to know that you can work with the advisors, and that the advisors are 200% in your corner.

Mr.Smile12, I'd like to add to your post about student support. Honestly, I feel way more supported towards my goals at my CC system than my friend did at her 4-year. I would know, as I started a course there and then dropped out to go to a much better 4-year out of state (online option). So yes, if you get that support, those extra costs may be worth it, but in my individual situation, they were not.
Thanks. tbh I think the only viable option for me is going to CC, but... I really can't decide haha.
Would you mind sharing your stats? How many volunteer and shadowing hours did you have, and did you have any other ECs (leadership experience, research experience--which I think is almost impossible to get if you go to CC?)
Sure...
overall/undergrad GPA: 3.46
overall/undergrad science/math GPA: 3.60
undergrad non-science/math GPA: 3.38
post-bac (overall & science/math): 3.90
DAT: 20 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT

I have a public health certification (state-level, not national) for my field of work, have a few military awards, had tons of leadership positions when I was in, worked in healthcare before, during, and after the military, have specific healthcare training for my field after my education, both military and civilian, 25 hours at the local food bank (felt I needed something more recent and actually applicable to the community I resided in), 55 hours of dental shadowing (yes, it's lower than a 100, but really, c'mon, are people really going to say I'm not competitive because of this? Has anyone been reading up to this point? I've got extracurriculars...I really don't think they're going to ignore EVERYTHING else I've done because I don't have the magical 100 that people love to spout so much...ugh, soap box over, back to your questions...), and some other volunteer stuff. I also like to think I have a decent PS, and the dentist who wrote my letter used to be a program director for an OMFS program and wrote me a strong letter, and my boss at work at the time also wrote me a strong letter about my dedication to patient safety...my letter from my orgo professor was probably pretty bland though. No research though either.

Four schools applied to, no interviews. Dentistry for me is just a job at the end of the day, unlike most pre-dents near fetishization of the career. I'm only going to apply to schools I can see myself going to and won't make a big dent in my wallet, so I'm "okay" if I don't get in. I've got a stable career right now as it is, and decently paid too.

Reactions: 1 user
I completed a post-bacc program at a community college and I have received 9 interview invites for this cycle. All of my pre-reqs were taken at a community college as my undergrad was in business. It is 100% possible to take classes at CC and receive interview invites. Of course, as long as you do well (GPA + DAT) and show that you have done things outside of school (volunteering, shadowing, other work experience, etc.) I am happy to share more about my experience if you are interested!

Reactions: 1 users
I did UConn's "Medical and Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program" which is a certificate program at my university. It is VERY individualized but still somewhat guided in that they give you lots of recommendations on classes to take to strengthen your application, but allows for customization as I personally finished all of my pre-reqs before starting. The head of the program also writes a letter of recommendation for you at the end attesting for your abilities as a pre-dental student aspiring to enter the profession! My only goal was to take a lot more rigorous courses simultaneously and excel in them to prove I could handle the rigorous course load that comes with dental school. It's a 1-year program but you can also do a 2-year version if you're coming from a non-science background/have more pre-reqs to take

Semester 1:
Biology of the Brain (3cr)
Evolutionary Medicine (3cr)
Physiological Model Systems (3cr)
Patient and Healer (2cr)
Race, Gender, and U.S. Healthcare (3cr)

Semester 2:
Neuroanatomy (2cr)
Biology of Synaptic Transmission (2cr)
Cancer Cell Biology & Genetics (3cr)
Sensory Physiology (3cr)
Introduction to Physical Examination (3cr)
Women and Health (3cr)

My undergrad was always full of only 2 sciences each semester and then 2 non sciences + some research credits certain years. I don't believe it looks very rigorous to dental schools to only do 2 sciences at once as it's super common, but that's just my own two cents.

I also worked part-time as an Orthodontic Assistant. The Pre-Dental society at UConn posts lots of opportunities and that's how I found out about the job opportunity. If you can help it, though, make sure to put your sole focus on your post-bacc to really excel. I was EXTREMELY burnt out by the end but I knew I needed to essentially get all A's due to my lower undergrad GPA. I started studying for the DAT 2 months after I finished the program. I knew I couldn't handle doing both at the same time and in the end I don't regret my choice at all. I am currently applying this cycle and have 5 interviews as a late (Sep/Oct) applicant, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask me! I love helping others wherever I can!

Reactions: 1 users
I completed a post-bacc program at a community college and I have received 9 interview invites for this cycle. All of my pre-reqs were taken at a community college as my undergrad was in business. It is 100% possible to take classes at CC and receive interview invites. Of course, as long as you do well (GPA + DAT) and show that you have done things outside of school (volunteering, shadowing, other work experience, etc.) I am happy to share more about my experience if you are interested!
Would you mind sharing your timeline and your stats?
Were you working full-time while taking those prerequisites? (I'm considering either: working full-time and taking maybe 1-2 prereq per semester/quarter (which would take longer to complete and idk if taking 2 classes w/ lab alongside a full time job is even possible) or quitting my full time job and focusing on the prereqs (which would be kinda risky + make me financially unstable for a while)
Thanks!! and congrats on those interview invites

Last edited:
For what I know, those masters in oral biology programs have direct linkages to the host dental schools, though I don't know how much it has changed. That said, if it isn't appropriate for you, then it's moot.

I don't know of any schools that completely frown on CC courses. Many will hold a limit for coursework at a CC, but most committees are reasonable given individual situations (like if you are doing this as a postbac). I don't know about your friend because I don't know what GPA and science grades the person had when graduating. Obviously there still is a bias towards 4-year institutions because most professors came from that background, but given the exorbitant expense of university and some options to take CC courses for free, more people are flexible. There is also a lot of data that says that individuals from low-income or underrepresented/socioeconomically disadvantaged status have CC coursework. The challenge is knowing the quality of teaching at a CC since it will have a greater variance than undergrad programs simply because there are many more CC's.

I agree that the real advantage of paying more for a bonafide postbac program is the student support. You need to know that you can work with the advisors, and that the advisors are 200% in your corner.
Check updates on Boston, Tufts, Creighton, Temple. Others may frown, but as you suggested maybe not "completely

Last edited:

I don't have a complete list of schools that offer dental school linkage(s), but I do know a few.
  1. Bryn Mawr (Medical School Linkages | Bryn Mawr College)
    1. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
  2. NYU (Linkage Programs)
    1. NYU College of Dentistry
  3. Columbia (Linkage-Specific Program Requirements | School of General Studies)
    1. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
  4. UPenn (Professional School Linkage Agreements | Penn LPS)
    1. Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
    2. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
  5. Northwestern (Premedicine | Medical School Linkage Agreements | Northwestern University: School of Professional Studies | Northwestern University)
    1. Rutgers School of Dental Medicine

I attended the pre-health post-bacc program at UPenn. They offer evening classes for post-bacc students, and I commuted. I think the program prepared me well for dental school & application process. Courses are rigorous, and the program offers various internship & research opportunities. I also had multiple advising sessions with my advisors and received a committee letter. I liked the Zoom meetings with current dental/medical school students, and the advisors tried their best to help me. However, there were only a handful of pre-dental students, and the program did focus more on pre-med students. Some students who worked full-time in research during the day received tuition benefits and took the classes for free.

I don't have a complete list of schools that offer dental school linkage(s), but I do know a few.
  1. Bryn Mawr (Medical School Linkages | Bryn Mawr College)
    1. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
  2. NYU (Linkage Programs)
    1. NYU College of Dentistry
  3. Columbia (Linkage-Specific Program Requirements | School of General Studies)
    1. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
  4. UPenn (Professional School Linkage Agreements | Penn LPS)
    1. Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
    2. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
  5. Northwestern (Premedicine | Medical School Linkage Agreements | Northwestern University: School of Professional Studies | Northwestern University)
    1. Rutgers School of Dental Medicine

I attended the pre-health post-bacc program at UPenn. They offer evening classes for post-bacc students, and I commuted. I think the program prepared me well for dental school & application process. Courses are rigorous, and the program offers various internship & research opportunities. I also had multiple advising sessions with my advisors and received a committee letter. I liked the Zoom meetings with current dental/medical school students, and the advisors tried their best to help me. However, there were only a handful of pre-dental students, and the program did focus more on pre-med students. Some students who worked full-time in research during the day received tuition benefits and took the classes for free.
Thank you! Since I'm in CA I would have to move across the country, but I'm seriously considering it now haha. Financing would be the biggest problem, though...

What kind of part-time jobs did you have while you were studying there? Were they related to dentistry? (e.g. dental assistant job, front desk job at dental offices, etc.)
Did the program help you to prepare for the DAT, or did you basically just study everything by yourself?
Also, I'm not sure if I can ask this kind of question but did you get into your current school through the linkage? Did most of your pre-dental classmates at Upenn get into dental schools?

Thank you! Since I'm in CA I would have to move across the country, but I'm seriously considering it now haha. Financing would be the biggest problem, though...

What kind of part-time jobs did you have while you were studying there? Were they related to dentistry? (e.g. dental assistant job, front desk job at dental offices, etc.)
Did the program help you to prepare for the DAT, or did you basically just study everything by yourself?
Also, I'm not sure if I can ask this kind of question but did you get into your current school through the linkage? Did most of your pre-dental classmates at Upenn get into dental schools?
We had a good number of students from CA! Yes… It is an investment… If you plan to actively utilize everything a formal post-bacc program offers, then I’d say go for it. There are plenty of clubs/leadership positions in the program and internship/research opportunities at nearby hospitals like CHOP, HUP, and Penn Presbyterian. Plus, Philadelphia is fun place to be. But if your main focus is just taking pre-reqs and preparing for DAT, taking classes at a nearby school and saving money & time would be good too. I think it really depends on what you need to become a strong applicant. BTW, I had zero science background too!

My jobs were not related to dentistry; they were all related to teaching. My only dental experience at the time of application was shadowing.

After taking the pre-reqs for 2 years, the only topic I really had to study for was biology. I barely did any studying for chem and o chem and received 25 and 23 on DAT. I spent the most time on biology, but it was my lowest score... I probably did not study correctly. My current GPA in dental school is 3.95 - so I guess I didn’t waste my money.

No, I did not get into my current school through linkage. I nominated myself for linkage and had an interview with the program committee, but it didn’t work out. 😢

I believe the acceptance rate was 100% for all of my pre-dental colleagues in the program (past 3-5 years).

Would you mind sharing your timeline and your stats?
Were you working full-time while taking those prerequisites? (I'm considering either: working full-time and taking maybe 1-2 prereq per semester/quarter (which would take longer to complete and idk if taking 2 classes w/ lab alongside a full time job is even possible) or quitting my full time job and focusing on the prereqs (which would be kinda risky + make me financially unstable for a while)
Thanks!! and congrats on those interview invites
Timeline:
Started undegrad in Fall of 2015. Transferred to UConn in Fall of 2016. Finished my Bachelor's Degree by May of 2021 (took 6 years total). Applied for the Post-Bacc around December 2020/January 2021, found out February 2021, enrolled in August of 2021 and finished May of this year!

I was working part-time. I found a job that was super flexible with me for those two semesters and allowed me to kind of make my own schedule in a way. Financial instability is definitely a real issue especially with today's inflation, so I can understand how this is a super tough decision to make. In the grand scheme of things, though, this is your dream and it's going to take a LOT of loans to achieve it. One day you'll be a dentist and will pay it all back! When it comes time to enrolling in dental school I know I've heard of people working weekend jobs but I personally think I would be beyond stressed as is, so I've heard of people taking out a little more in loans to cover cost of living, food, bills, etc. I know loans are one of the worst things to put on your own shoulders but again, we have to do what it takes to get to our final goal!!

We had a good number of students from CA! Yes… It is an investment… If you plan to actively utilize everything a formal post-bacc program offers, then I’d say go for it. There are plenty of clubs/leadership positions in the program and internship/research opportunities at nearby hospitals like CHOP, HUP, and Penn Presbyterian. Plus, Philadelphia is fun place to be. But if your main focus is just taking pre-reqs and preparing for DAT, taking classes at a nearby school and saving money & time would be good too. I think it really depends on what you need to become a strong applicant. BTW, I had zero science background too!

My jobs were not related to dentistry; they were all related to teaching. My only dental experience at the time of application was shadowing.

After taking the pre-reqs for 2 years, the only topic I really had to study for was biology. I barely did any studying for chem and o chem and received 25 and 23 on DAT. I spent the most time on biology, but it was my lowest score... I probably did not study correctly. My current GPA in dental school is 3.95 - so I guess I didn’t waste my money.

No, I did not get into my current school through linkage. I nominated myself for linkage and had an interview with the program committee, but it didn’t work out. 😢

I believe the acceptance rate was 100% for all of my pre-dental colleagues in the program (past 3-5 years).
Hi, im not sure if you are still on sdn, but were you a Pennsylvania resident? Also, did you use the health insurance that school provided? Im not sure how older students are managing their health insurances while not working full time (= no health insurance from employers).