Questions to Those Who Recently Matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcus8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate your input on how to be a competitive applicant for next year's match. I have a HUGE detriment though. I failed Step 1. Yes, I know that it sucks and I don't need everyone telling me how awful it is. I already know. I would also like to say, that I have a good reason. My dad passed away about a week before my Step 1. Do you think that I should tell programs about my situation? Will it be something that they can overlook considering my unique circumstance? Thanks for all of the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I would really appreciate your input on how to be a competitive applicant for next year's match. I have a HUGE detriment though. I failed Step 1. Yes, I know that it sucks and I don't need everyone telling me how awful it is. I already know. I would also like to say, that I have a good reason. My dad passed away about a week before my Step 1. Do you think that I should tell programs about my situation? Will it be something that they can overlook considering my unique circumstance? Thanks for all of the input.

Hi Marcus,

I'm sorry about the loss of your father. Step 1 is a stressful time and certainly more so in your situation.

Unfortunately, the failure will be a red flag on your application and you should be ready to explain your circumstances and how you have improved since that time. This is something you could work into your personal statement with lessons learned and perhaps an important perspective for you as a future physician. Have you retaken and passed Step1? If so, how did you do? It is also important to consider your clinical grades as well. If you are an overall good student and you do well on Step 2CK and CS, your Step 1 failure may be considered a fluke.

Best of luck.

I don't think you should overly play it up about your dad (I'm sorry to hear that, btw), but if asked, answer honestly. Also, I think how you did after re-taking step 1 will reflect pretty well. Did you re-take it and get a 190, or a 220, or a 240? If it's 190, then saying that you failed because of your unfortunate situation is not a good excuse. If you did much better though, maybe it is.

Also, for the record, step 1 isn't everything. Take step 2 early and show that you may not be great with biochem, but you're good with actual patient care. I got a 186 on step 1 because I suck at basic sciences and had a bad study technique, and then I took step 2 before 4th year even started, and got a 230. Thus, schools got to see both scores when I was applying. I was top 20% of my class, and did well in my clinicals.

There are definitely some programs that sort by step 1 scores...if my not getting interview is an indication, here are some that rejected me for an interview:
Cincy
Duke
UNC
Tufts
Harvard
Children's National

HOWEVER, a lot of programs really do take the time to look at the whole picture, rather than just ruling someone out because of low step 1 scores. I DID get interviews at some really good programs:
CHOP
Boston Children's
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Brown
Denver
Seattle
UCSF
San Diego
Rainbow Babies
Stanford

And I ended up matching at my first choice. So work hard now, take step 2 early, interview well, and you'll be fine. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did re-take and pass Step 1. I did okay, but not as well as I would have liked. I am a good clinical student and I am doing well in my rotations. I don't really want to get into super-competitive programs either. I really just want to stay at my school (a state school) and do Peds. I just hope that one really bad experience didn't ruin everything for me.

There are definitely some programs that sort by step 1 scores...if my not getting interview is an indication, here are some that rejected me for an interview:

Harvard

By Harvard, do you mean MGH (since Boston Children's is listed below)

I am a good clinical student and I am doing well in my rotations. I don't really want to get into super-competitive programs either. I really just want to stay at my school (a state school) and do Peds. I just hope that one really bad experience didn't ruin everything for me.

Do well on your pediatrics rotation at your school, do electives & sub-i's as a 4th year and you should have no problem at staying at your home school. Try to take Step 2 CK and CS early too.

Do well on your pediatrics rotation at your school, do electives & sub-i's as a 4th year and you should have no problem at staying at your home school. Try to take Step 2 CK and CS early too.

I do plan on taking Step 2 early. And I do have a pretty good relationship with the residency director and I should get some pretty good letters of recommendation.

By Harvard, do you mean MGH (since Boston Children's is listed below).

I am living proof that MGH does not have a strict cut-off for Step 1 scores, although a failure may be another issue.

I did re-take and pass Step 1. I did okay, but not as well as I would have liked. I am a good clinical student and I am doing well in my rotations. I don't really want to get into super-competitive programs either. I really just want to stay at my school (a state school) and do Peds. I just hope that one really bad experience didn't ruin everything for me.

It's not just the bbig programs that sort by fail/pass of Step 1. Some very small community programs do it, too.

1. The place where you are at likely knows what happened with your dad. I would still meet with the PD and express your interest before you submit your app and tell him/her your circumstance.
2. With other programs, you may get an automatic rejection. If you are seriously considering them, be proactive and contact the programs ahead of your application and tell them your situation.
3. Apply widely to get interviews.

Good luck

Do you think that I should tell programs about my situation? Will it be something that they can overlook considering my unique circumstance?

I wouldn't bring it up in interviews. You should ask an advisor or two about whether to address it in your personal statement. If you are asked in interviews, I would just give a short explanation that doesn't sound like an excuse:
"I see that you failed Step 1 the first time you took it. What happened?"
"Well, my father passed away a week before the exam, so I wasn't able to be fully prepared, and wasn't completely focused on the test day. I knew it was a poor performance, but I retook it later at a better time and passed. That was a major reason why I chose to take Step 2 early, which I passed."

As others have said, take Step 2 early enough that you'll have scores back before interviews.

I think you should actually bring it up in your personal statement. I've heard it's the best way to make your application personal and clear up anything they wouldn't know otherwise. my brother died in the middle of my second year and I'm planning on addressing it.

the thing is, it's only fair to yourself and to the application committees if they can make an honest assessment of your capabilities. if something that major happened in your life, of course it affected your performance. make it a highlight- like look at what you were able to overcome! you're so much stronger now! generic, but very true, considering you haven't dropped out and you're applying to residency.

just watch out and don't approach it by sounding like the "making excuses, woe is me" type. play it up as a strength and overcoming a major obstacle.

I am really sorry to hear about your father. What a difficult to deal with at anythime of your life, especially during medical school.

I am on the recruitment committee in my residency program, and unfortunately red flags are often discussed by the committee and have an influence on any person's application. BUT failing step 1 is a red flag, just like getting a bad eval or letter of rec, or not having any extra-curriculars, or having a bad interview, which many applicants have.

My experience is that those that address it, say how they learned from it, not just providing an excuse, have the best chance of overcoming it. We had two applicants that failed step 1 that I remember off hand. One never mentioned it once, nor did their LOR's address it. One person mentioned it in their personal statement and one of their LOR's or dean's letter addressed it as well. The person who was open about it was much more highly ranked.

I would study your butt off for step 2 and take it so you have the score back before application season. And work hard during your clinical years. If you find a particular rotation that you did well at and formed a good bond with a faculty member, discuss it with them, and see if they would feel comfortable writing a letter that even says that the failure of step 1 is not an accurate reflection of who you are as a student. Things like this go a long way.

Your stressor was a HUGE contributor to your step 1 performance, regardless of how well you did the second time, and programs will understand this. Peds is a family-oriented specialty so we understand things like this. But your best bet would be to work hard to make sure this is your only red flag. If you do poorly on step 2, have poor clinical performance, get bad LOR's, etc, it will be harder to overcome these red flags. But if you otherwise do well, your step 1 performance will have little bearing on your app. And if you are still worried about it when youre a fourth year, go rotate at the programs in which you are strongly interested and show them first hand how good you are.

Seriously, do not stress out too much about this. You can't change your score at this point and if you worry about it, it will just eat at your confidence and make your clinical years less enjoyable. Your third year of medical school is the most fun you never want to have again and your fourth year is the most fun you would love to have for the rest of your life, so work hard, enjoy it, and you will be just fine when its time to apply. Remember, peds is still a less competitive field, and there are good applicants with red flags on their apps matching at great programs across the country year after year.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I am happy to say that my rotations this year have gone really well. I have even been offered a LOR from an Internal Medicine Program Coordinator without my having to ask for one. I am feeling a lot better about my situation and I really appreciate all of your advice.

Can anyone name some programs that they think might be good for me to apply to (i.e. not that competitive.)