Questions !!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
may be its the time to go on low carb diet !!
no choclates..
+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by bpl77
Hi Henna,
I would appreciate if you can tell us what are the subjects we are tested for the first 2 quarters and what are the books recommended.
Thanks
sang
The courses offered each quarter changes from batch to batch so there's no way I can tell you what you'll be taking the Ist two quarters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ritu14
Hi Henna,

I have a few doubts about going to UCSF or UOP. I think there was a time when you were in the same boat and you went for UCSF. I am just wondering if you are happy with your decision?

-Ritu14

Ritu,

Personally, it was UCSF hands down for me, I didn't have a problem selecting UCSF as my school of choice, as that's the school that I wanted to be in, I didn't give a second thought about rejecting the other schools.

I am very happy here. It's best school as far am concerned.

Originally posted by organic
Henna

please tell me if I am hallicinating . I was browsing UCSF housing website, and the on-campus housing is not available at all to DDS/ IDS students?

:confused:
They do have on-campus housing, but there's always a long waiting list and ID's are not preferred and if you are married, you go to the bottom of the list :)

Regarding the amount you'll need to set up once you move to SF, it'll be around $5000-6000/-. You might want to arrange for the amount even before you get here without waiting for the loan.

Originally posted by Henna
They do have on-campus housing, but there's always a long waiting list and ID's are not preferred and if you are married, you go to the bottom of the list :)

It's none of my bussiness, but.... why do IDs are not preferred? :confused:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The courses offered each quarter changes from batch to batch so there's no way I can tell you what you'll be taking the Ist two quarters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I don't buy ur reply to the course work being radically different -- else we would have a large teaching faculty teaching a variety of subjects -- it would be like the profs studying the course with us. I shall check that out on my own.

I am going to be charging a fee for the consultations from now on :) .
I'll answer all the questions during the weekends, alright ?

Dear Henna

If you don't intend to answer questions, please just do not reply. As a moderator, I am sure you know better than many others that it is just a space for sharing info, no obligations that you have to respond to questions. Others might reply as well. I didn't even expect that you would reply, it was just out of my surprise that I wrote the short message, but I called UCSF housing right afterwards and they told me the correct info.

I am sorry I address the message to your name, that was my mistake

thanks

Originally posted by bpl77
quote:

First I don't buy ur reply to the course work being radically different -- else we would have a large teaching faculty teaching a variety of subjects -- it would be like the profs studying the course with us. I shall check that out on my own.

Let me make this clearer. The courses offered are all standarized but that doesn't mean that the same fixed number of courses are offered in a particular quarter, eg, If FPD was offered to us in the first quarter that doesnt mean it will be offered you in the first quarter aswell, instead RDP might take its place.
You'd asked about the courses of the first 2 quarters and that's what I was referring to.

Originally posted by organic
Dear Henna

If you don't intend to answer questions, please just do not reply. As a moderator, I am sure you know better than many others that it is just a space for sharing info, no obligations that you have to respond to questions. Others might reply as well. I didn't even expect that you would reply, it was just out of my surprise that I wrote the short message, but I called UCSF housing right afterwards and they told me the correct info.

I am sorry I address the message to your name, that was my mistake

thanks

It always good to get it right from the source, isn't it ? The campus housing was offered to us, if they don't have that anymore that's too bad.
I have no need to look into all the changes that has happened as it does'nt apply to me anymore and moreover I don't have the time for that.
I don't intend to mislead anyone here, I have always asked everyone to get the info from the source directly. Don't expect to be spoon fed. Do your own homework so you get the latest info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear henna,
I was wondering how much do we need to spend for IDP program..I know it differs from school to school, but it looks very expensive for me like they say 100k per yr? Then is it true that we need to spend around 200k for completing a 2 yr IDP program???:eek: what if it is going to be 3 yr program:rolleyes: I absolutly have no idea how it works. can we get loan for all 200k? and how much do we have to spend from our pocket if we r entering an IDP program? I don't know any other person to ask other than u Henna!..Pls help..:clap: ..thanks

considering that you ask such a big question with so many words, Henna will charge you big bugs for her consulting fee!!!:D

Hey dentaldoc,
Is that question directed only towards Henna;)
I guess most of the people on this forum would be able to answer that question:) ..
Take care

The amount of loan that you get depends on how much you and your cosigner is eligible for and how much you are willing to and need to take..
take care:D

Hi Pink tooth, organic,

How r u guys doing?

pink tooth, I directed my question to henna because she is the moderator and she is also a person dedicated to the forum..

but anyone can suggest and I am very much open to it.

Thanks buddy
:clap:

Organic, looks like u got hurt..take it easy buddy..would u feel the same way if any of ur friends had said it jovially?..

Henna is a wonderful person and we r lucky to have her by our side..cheer up
:horns:

Originally posted by dentaldoc
Dear henna,
I was wondering how much do we need to spend for IDP program..I know it differs from school to school, but it looks very expensive for me like they say 100k per yr? Then is it true that we need to spend around 200k for completing a 2 yr IDP program???:eek: what if it is going to be 3 yr program:rolleyes: I absolutly have no idea how it works. can we get loan for all 200k? and how much do we have to spend from our pocket if we r entering an IDP program? I don't know any other person to ask other than u Henna!..Pls help..:clap: ..thanks

The amount quoted by the school should be enough to cover all your expenses ( ie to lead a simple life as a student). The money you'll need to arrange will be mostly to help you with the intial set up ie the deposit for the apt, furnishing it, flight costs, computer purchasing etc.
You will only be eligible for the amount specified by the school, the loan company will not lend you more than that amt.
I doubt they will make it an 3 yr program , if so I haven't heard of it yet.

Good Luck.

Organic,
If you continue to behave like a troll, I will treat you as one.

Henna

Thanx for ur time, Henna&Pinktooth,
By the way henna, I meant 3yr Idp programs like in NY, MILWAKII...but now as far as I understood it looks like we can get loans for all the expenditures(including living) , except the deposit amt for the schools and things like henna told..Am I correct?:confused:

dentaldoc,
Which school did you get accepted into ? Did they send you the admission packet yet ? If they did then look into the financial section, that'll tell you about all the expenses that will be included in your loan amt.

Which school did you get accepted into ? Did they send you the admission packet yet ? If they did then look into the financial section, that'll tell you about all the expenses that will be included in your loan amt. [/B]

I wish I had been accepted by a dental school now:) .............No henna that's not the fact...I am yet to apply for 2005!...:smuggrin:
but I am just curious to know about how much we need to spend from our pocket when we are entering in to IDP program..I know it's a long way to go..but I feel it would be better to be prepared ahead..isn't it?....Thanks for the consideration

I am open to everyone's suggesstion:clap:

Originally posted by dentaldoc
....I am open to everyone's suggesstion:clap:

Here's mine: $tart $aving!!

Originally posted by meggs
Here's mine: $tart $aving!!
----------------------------____________________________________________________:laugh: that's a good one........

Can I ask how much would u think is a "safe amount"
minimal liquid asset offcourse:smuggrin:

Regarding the amount you'll need to set up once you move to SF, it'll be around $5000-6000/-. You might want to arrange for the amount even before you get here without waiting for the loan.

Dentaldoc,

I haven't moved yet, so I don't know. But take a look at Henna's advice. She has already gone trough it. Of course, that applies to SF, which is a very expensive city. Maybe some other city, where life is cheaper, doesn't take as much to relocate to.

hey henna,
i have been refused a visit visa to come for my interview at boston university and the admissions officer agreed to a telephonic interview on the 8th of march ( my interview in person was on the 11th of march ) under these sudden unprecendented circumstances. what are my chances of getting into boston university via a telephonic interview.

lasjy

Lasjy,
Your guess is as good as mine. Looking at it in a positive light, I'd say since they have agreed to have an phone interview with you then they will also give you the equal oppurtunity at the seat.
Good Luck, Let us know how it went.
Do read through dentist husband's post on the FAQ'S about interviews.

Sadaf,

Could you please post your question here. I cleaned up my mail box and accidently deleted your mail.

Henna

Hi henna,
How are you doing?Long time no news?
Had any exams?
All the best if you were preparing for something:)

Hi pinktooth,
I was busy with school projects and also had very lil computer access at that time that's why I couldn't post on SDN.
I am also preparing for my exams. Thanks for your wishes.
How's everything going with you ?

Henna

Didn't get a fedex from UPenn:(
Waiting to hear from CWRU an BU...
:rolleyes:

hey henna,
I had my interview last night at my home in India. Dr. Ashayeri (the director) was supposed to call at 11 p.m. but called at 11:45 p.m. i was half asleep by then.

She asked me what i was doing in jan and feb 2004 since i graduated in dec 2003 end. i said i was studying for indian entrances and had given AIIMS and kar CET. she asked me y i didn't take up a job and i said that most people were asking me for 6 months or 1 year contracts and if i had to get admission in august 2004 at boston i could not commit to such labour.

She asked whether i had done any crown and/ or bridge cases during my course. i said we had crown cutting and bridge preparation in 4th year part 2 and i happened to also do 3 cases of crown cutting in internship and one bridge too.

she asked about my hobbies and whether i am in good health right now. i mentioned that i had a kidney stone removed it which had been bothering me for one month which is why i did not work at a clinic in the month of february.

she said that my application came in a little late (jan 2004) though the deadline was march 1st 2004. she told me that the average score so far is 91 % while i am at 86 %. she said that if i did not hear from them or get any letter for 2 weeks then i should reapply for next year i.e. august 2005. they are not giving any guarantees that u will get admission in Boston U. next year if u reapply. with her saying this i felt that if u get a score anything less than 90 its not worth applying to boston U.

she asked if i knew any student at boston U. and i said yes. she also asked why i wanted to join boston u. and i said lots of stuff about their history, education at boston in general, simulation equipment and teaching techniques etc. she asked whether i had applied anywhere else and i said i got a rejection letter from U. Penn after applying there for april 2004.

all i can do right now is wait. any comments on whether i will still get in will be appreciated.

and like Zig Zaglar says in henna's personal quote
" I don't believe in miracles, i rely on them"
i too am hoping for a miracle
and no more headaches

lasjy+pity+ :oops: :(

Good Luck, lasjy,
Just remember whatever happens, happens for the best.

hey henna,
thanks for the encouragement. i hope ur right. my mom was happy i took the interview for boston over the telephone from india and not fly all the way there because i had an operation to remove a kidney stone in my left ureter on the 3rd of march 2004. my mom said i would not have been able to go to america by march 11th because of this. even she belives in the same as you. everything happens for our good.

lasjy

Originally posted by GKG

Hi Lasjy!! i was reading about your telephonic interview, this reminded me of a friend who had applied last year with 89, 263, 3.6, he was rejected visa at Delhi consulate .Dr. Ashayerri took his interview over phone , but when he recieved his rejection in march 2003 the letter mentioned that the interview is a compulsory part of admission procedure and that he had not fulfilled the criterion.
But keep the faith may be this year they have come to realize that the consulates are refusing visas for interview and they might give you a fair chance
Best of luck
y

any comments about this one henna as to what my chances are

Originally posted by lasjy
any comments about this one henna as to what my chances are

Send them a thankyou letter and mention the fact that appreciate the fact that they gave you a chance to take the interview over the phone.
Good Luck.

PS- I don't know what your chances are but don't give up hope.

hey henna,
thanx for your all ur support. i've done what you said the moment the interview was done. i guess lots of peple would probably do the same....won't make too much of a difference to them.

thanx
lasjy

Hi Lasjy,
Did you mail Dr Ashayeri?
did she respond?

hey pinktooth,
i had mailed dr. ashayeri even before my interview date but she did not reply. i am in regular coresspondance with nicole stoffels, the admissions officer though. she says they will let me know in another 2 weeks time

lasjy

Hi lasjy,
I talked to Dr Ashayeri today.She told me they will decide today(monday) regarding the final 'few' spots .
Even I am keeping my fingers crossed..
:thumbup:
take care

hey pink tooth,

all the best.
i hope we meet again in BU.

lasjy

I wish the same lasjy..that we both get a postive response from BU..
But meeting AGAIN??:confused:

hey pink tooth

i meant meeting again in BU

in person

:p :p :p

and not on SDN

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:D

lasjy