Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been considering USUHS as pretty much my only choice for med school. My application stopped this year for military reasons, not a rejection. However, recently I've decided to broaden my opportunities and apply to some other schools next year.

With that thought, I wanted to see what folks have to say about Osteopathic medicine and OSUCOM in particular. I did a search and read all the threads about OSUCOM, I'm just asking if anyone has anything additional to say. I'm an Oklahoma resident that's currently in WA state for the military. I'm leaning towards an interest in Emergency Medicine, but understand my own ignorance and look forward to med school as a chance to pick a specialty.

I have a 3.28 overall, 2.88 BPCM calculated the AMCAS way, I don't know how Osteo schools do it, and a 36 MCAT. I shadowed two military doctors and they happened to be DOs (and darn good doctors). Is there an MSAR equivalent for Osteopathic schools?

Thanks for any info you pass on!

Members don't see this ad.

You're from Oklahoma??!! :eek:

How can I continue to bash Okies if some of my favorite people come from there? :confused:

Oh wait, DireWolf is there. That's all the reason that I need. ;)

Thanks, Evo! :D

That's one reason I don't understand geographical prejudice. Most of my best friends are from Oklahoma or Texas, so I know those stereotypes are wrong, but the rest of my friends are from everywhere else, so I don't buy those stereotypes, either...

Members don't see this ad :)
While I haven't bit on the $25 that AAMC wants for the MSAR 05/06, I'm pretty sure that the Osteo schools are listed there. There's a reasonably recent thread here (like "best DO schools" or "rankings of DO schools") where a poster listed the stats from MSAR I think. It had the applicants/interviews/accepted/matriculants for almost all the osteo schools for some given year (not sure how recent the numbers were).

I was pleasantly suprised to the see the nubers for in-staters for my first Osteo choice, UNECOM. The regional preference *really* plays a rather big part of the DO-school mission. :thumbup:

good luck,

Ock (likely buying MSAR fairly soon)

I was stationed for a while in northern Texas at Shepard AFB during my service...some of the nicest people you could possibly hope to meet. I'm from Boston where everyone is mean :D

Ock

MoosePilot said:
I've always been considering USUHS as pretty much my only choice for med school. My application stopped this year for military reasons, not a rejection. However, recently I've decided to broaden my opportunities and apply to some other schools next year.

With that thought, I wanted to see what folks have to say about Osteopathic medicine and OSUCOM in particular. I did a search and read all the threads about OSUCOM, I'm just asking if anyone has anything additional to say. I'm an Oklahoma resident that's currently in WA state for the military. I'm leaning towards an interest in Emergency Medicine, but understand my own ignorance and look forward to med school as a chance to pick a specialty.

I have a 3.28 overall, 2.88 BPCM calculated the AMCAS way, I don't know how Osteo schools do it, and a 36 MCAT. I shadowed two military doctors and they happened to be DOs (and darn good doctors). Is there an MSAR equivalent for Osteopathic schools?

Thanks for any info you pass on!

OSU-COM is an excellent school (heck, we had a 100% step 1 pass rate this year) and you should certainly consider it since you're from here. Call the admissions office (800.677.1972) to make sure your military service out of state doesn't affect your in-state student status. (there are some quirky things with the whole in-state status, so you'd be best off to make sure in advance) Your stats put you in a good position as an applicant, especially as an in-state one.

BTW: there are tons of DO EM docs in Oklahoma...furthered by the fact that the only EM residencies in OK are DO programs.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the school. Feel free to PM me anytime. :)