Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by USCbiograd, Apr 7, 2007.

1. USCbiograd

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey guys, Im not a pre-pharmacy student but my brother is. The reason I am posting is to ask you guys for some info. He has just recently decided to go pre-Pharm but his cumulative GPA is only about a 3.1. He has recently been taking his required science classes and has been doing well. Does he stand a chance? What are good PCAT scores? Is the number of times the PCAT taken taken into consideration by an admittance board? And lastly, does obtaining a bachelors degree considerable increase ones chances of being admitted to a Pharmacy program?

Thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rxrxrx

rxrxrx New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    If he does well in those science courses (3.5+) then he stands a good chance even if his cumulative GPA isn't very high. As far as the PCAT, 80+ is considered competitive although it seems that many schools have average scores in the mid-80's. It doesn't matter how many times he takes the PCAT as only his best score will be used to determine his application. Having a bachelors degree seems to make a significant difference as more and more applicants have one when they apply. That doesn't mean that he can't apply without one but if he is close to a bachelors then I would say that it can only help his chances.

Hope that helped.

4. USCbiograd

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just one more quick question, what is the PCAT total possible score? And what percentile is an 85?

5. cycloketocaine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The highest possible score is a 99%, and lots of people get it (around here). An 85 in extremely competitive. In fact, I would say, that with a decent GPA (3.3) and some EC's and experience, a 75 would be competitive.

6. LowGPAHighPCAT

LowGPAHighPCAT Use the Schwartz!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    An 85 percentile means that the test taker scored as well or better than 85 percent of the other test takers. And GPA and test score competitiveness is a function of the school. A 75 at one school might be highly competitive while at another, it is not.