Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCbiograd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im not a pre-pharmacy student but my brother is. The reason I am posting is to ask you guys for some info. He has just recently decided to go pre-Pharm but his cumulative GPA is only about a 3.1. He has recently been taking his required science classes and has been doing well. Does he stand a chance? What are good PCAT scores? Is the number of times the PCAT taken taken into consideration by an admittance board? And lastly, does obtaining a bachelors degree considerable increase ones chances of being admitted to a Pharmacy program?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If he does well in those science courses (3.5+) then he stands a good chance even if his cumulative GPA isn't very high. As far as the PCAT, 80+ is considered competitive although it seems that many schools have average scores in the mid-80's. It doesn't matter how many times he takes the PCAT as only his best score will be used to determine his application. Having a bachelors degree seems to make a significant difference as more and more applicants have one when they apply. That doesn't mean that he can't apply without one but if he is close to a bachelors then I would say that it can only help his chances.

Hope that helped.

Just one more quick question, what is the PCAT total possible score? And what percentile is an 85?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just one more quick question, what is the PCAT total possible score? And what percentile is an 85?

The highest possible score is a 99%, and lots of people get it (around here). An 85 in extremely competitive. In fact, I would say, that with a decent GPA (3.3) and some EC's and experience, a 75 would be competitive.

An 85 percentile means that the test taker scored as well or better than 85 percent of the other test takers. And GPA and test score competitiveness is a function of the school. A 75 at one school might be highly competitive while at another, it is not.