Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

questions

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by marikimo, Aug 24, 2002.

1. marikimo

marikimo Junior Member

Hi. I am a 4th yr and am interested in going into primary care Internal Med. I live in Boston and am applying only to programs in this area. There are alot of great programs in the area...both "academic" and more community-based. I was wondering two things:
    1. How different really are the P Care IM residency programs as compared to just plain categorical medicine (in general).
    2. What are benefits/disadvantages of community vs academic residency programs.
    Thanks for any info you can provide!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster

Attending Physician
    From my understanding and research, primary care IM programs generally offer more in the way of outpatient experience/clinic time and continuity of care than categorical medicine. This of course doesn't mean you won't be able to do something like cardiology if you do a primary care IM program, or that you can't be a plain vanilla internist doing the categorical track. I would assume, however, that in a categorical program you'll have more time on the wards and for electives.

And as for the relative benefits of academic vs. community, I guess brand names count for about as much as your future patients/employers care. So if you're looking to land a hard-to-get cards fellowship, going to a big name might put you farther ahead of the pack than you ordinarily would having gone through a community program.

Good luck to you in March!