Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeauxDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that one of the best ways to get into a particular residency program was to do a rotation there. So I was wondering:

1. How many times do most MSIVs move in order to do a rotation where they would like to apply to? I have a family, and I'd rather not have to move around too much.

2. Do most students apply to just one type of program, or do they put some less competitive programs further down the list?

3. How many programs do most students apply/interview/rank?

4. For DOs: How does the internship work? Is it required? Do you apply for your residency at the same time, or the following year? Does it count for your first year of your residency (i.e., apply for a PGYII?)

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of it depends on what field you are trying to go into and where you are located. For example, if you are going into internal medicine or pediatrics, and your family is flexible as to where you can move, then an away rotation is uneccesary unless there is a long-shot program which you HAVE to be at. Otherwise, there is such a wide selection of good programs, if you interview at a lot of places you're bound to go somewhere good. It would not be worth it to leave your family in that case.

If you are from a place that has not so many decent programs in in its vicinity and/or you would like to do something more competitive, i.e. ortho, some of these specialties highly recommend an away elective.

In response to your second question, most people tend to rank a mix of competitive all the way to "safety" programs, just so they feel like they're covering all their bases..but the rule is to only rank programs where you would be content.

Most people rank anywhere on average from 5or6 programs all the way to 20+. it depends on the competitiveness of the specialty and your competitiveness. I ranked six programs for peds, and not more than that because i am focusing on a certain geographical area.

Hope this helps!
:clap:

good luck, M&B girl.