Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the sinus thats located below the sella turcica?

everything wud cause bleeding except?
increased systolic bld pressure
hypokalemia
cigarette smoking
decreased thrombaxane

if the pt is given the 115mg per ml of inulin, when the plasma concn of inulin is 0.1 mg/ml, whats the gfr?
115 mg/ml
0.1mg/ml

anybody pls state the ans with the explanation. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1) Sella turca is located in sphenoid bone and right below is sphenoidal sinus.
2) I think answer would be cigarrette smoking....correct me if i am wrong.
3) Inulin is used to calculate gfr...it is freely filtered by glomerulus therefore the plasma conc will be the gfr which is 0.1mg/ml.
rate of inulin cleared from plasma= gfr
Correct me if i am wrong....

I 'ld have picked the smoking answer too as ther's s no bleeding on probing in smokers, so i 'ld have gone for tht too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cigarette smoking can cause bleeding.Heat from it can cause vasodilation which helps in bleeding.That is why patients are asked not to smoke after a tooth extraction.
The answer must be hypokalemia,since it has no effect on bleeding .

Correct me if I am wrong.

yeah! me too thought the hypokalemia , but have no explanation. Since, potassium has no effect in the bleeding role. Correct me if its wrong.

. . definitely it is hypokalemia, as hypokalemia leads to mucular irritabilities and tetanus and has no role in the bleeding.
Smokers with the highest systolic blood pressure readings (150mm/Hg or greater) were 9.32 times more likely to suffer hemorrhagic stroke than smokers with the lowest readings (120mm/Hg or less). Nonsmokers with the highest systolic blood pressure readings were 7.05 times more likely to suffer hemorrhagic stroke than those with the lowest readings.

..The GFR can be determined by injecting inulin into the plasma. Since inulin is neither reabsorbed nor secreted by the kidney after glomerular filtration, its rate of excretion is directly proportional to the rate of filtration of water and solutes across the glomerular filter.
But I don't understand the question properly.
You have injected 115 ml but in plasma there is 0.1 mg means all the remainig 114.9 mg has cleared from glomerulus.So definitely the answer is not 0.1mg.
Please help with this question....
yeah! me too thought the hypokalemia , but have no explanation. Since, potassium has no effect in the bleeding role. Correct me if its wrong.

1) Sella turca is located in sphenoid bone and right below is sphenoidal sinus.
2) I think answer would be cigarrette smoking....correct me if i am wrong.
3) Inulin is used to calculate gfr...it is freely filtered by glomerulus therefore the plasma conc will be the gfr which is 0.1mg/ml.
rate of inulin cleared from plasma= gfr
Correct me if i am wrong....
It is actually the amount cleared from plasma, but not how much amount is there in plasma.So it is not 0.1mg.Please correct me if I am wrong.........

sphenoid..

hypokalemia
cigarette smoking
decreased thrombaxane

if the pt is given the 115mg per ml of inulin, when the plasma concn of inulin is 0.1 mg/ml, whats the gfr?
115 mg/ml +0.1=115.1 . inulin is neither reabsorbed nor secreted by the kidney after glomerular filtration, so the ans could be 115/115.1

correct me if i m wrong..thanks

thanks everybody for the answers. But still the GFR question remains riddled. Pls confirm the answer for the benefit of us. As per the theory, the inulin is the substance to find the GFR which neither secreted nor reabsorped. So why not be the 115 mg/ml. whats the 0.1 mg/ml concn to do with the question?

the patient sufferin in the ptosis n miosis has lesion in which part?

lesion of CN 3
lesion of superior cervical ganglion
lesion of facial nerve

if i have missed any option , pardon me n solve the question, since I don't remember all the options.

the patient sufferin in the ptosis n miosis has lesion in which part?

lesion of CN 3
lesion of superior cervical ganglion
lesion of facial nerve

if i have missed any option , pardon me n solve the question, since I don't remember all the options.

I think the question is asking about Horner's syndrome and the answer would be lesion of superior cervical ganglion which is sympathetic ganglion.

hypokalemia
cigarette smoking
decreased thrombaxane

115 mg/ml
0.1mg/ml

hey

the inulin gfr will ne 0.1mg/ml, as the plasma conc of inulin will ne the gfr fr inulin.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks folks for the answer, lookin forward for more questions. evrybdy is welcome to post the questions.

capillaries belong to

1. glomerullus
2. bowman's capsule
3. renal papilla

renal papilla opens into
minor calyx
major calyx
distal tubule

capillaries belong to

1. glomerullus
2. bowman's capsule
3. renal papilla

renal papilla opens into
minor calyx
major calyx
distal tubule

capillaries belong to glomerulus.
renal papilla opens into minor calyx.

pls correct if im wrong......

thank you pbkal. how abt the meissner's, ruffini'f n pacinian ? Anybody pls come forward

what is not present in the Posselt's envelope?

ant edge to edge relationship
intercuspal relation
retruded contact.

I don remember all the choices, I had tried my best to give the options. Pardon me n solve the question even the correct choice is not given. Thanks.

Dentgod,
My guess would be latearl protrusion (actually all horizontal movements) since posselt's envelop is looking at the siggital plane. For lateral side to side limit you need to use horizontal gothic arch tracer. Hope that is what you are asking about. Cheers!

thanks mrswini! I honestly don remember whether I had the lateral protrusion in the choices. But as u said the posselt's pretty much talks about the saggital plane.

the circle of willis is made of:
Internal carotid artery branch of Common carotid artery
Anterior communicating artery branch of Internal Carotid
Posterior communicating artery branch of Internal carotid
Anterior cerebral artery ?
Posterior cerebral artery BRANCH OF Basilar artery

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, and help me to know the anterior cerebral artery is branch of what?

Which of the following represents the complication of peptic ulcer disease that accounts for the majority of deaths?
a. bleeding
b. perforation
c. obstruction
d. Malignancy

I know the answer is among a or b. Can somebody explain me. (i think it is perforation...m not sure. & also what if question omitted deaths i.e complication of peptic ulcer .. would that be bleeding ) kind of confused !!!

hey Kash, the answer for sure is the perforation n i don know the justification for that. correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, pls come forward for the ant cerebral artery is the branch of what?

hey Kash, the answer for sure is the perforation n i don know the justification for that. correct me if I'm wrong.

it arises from internal carotid artery.

Which of the following therapeutic agents
are classed as broad-spectrum antibiotic​

a.Tetracycline.
b.Olloromycetin@
c.Dihydrostreptomycin
d.Penicillin
e.Isoniazid

.​
(a) and (b) only
a}, (b), (d) and (e)
a}, (c) and (e)
a}and (e) only
b), (c) and (d)​
.​
\c) and (d) only

All of the above

Hey dentgod,

Ant cerebral artery and middle cerebral artery are terminal branches of internal carotid artery.
Whereas ant cerebral artery with the rest of the branches of ica are a part of circle of willis. (middle cerebral artery is not)

If a local anesthetic solution were deposited in the pterygopalatine fossa, then which of the following would be anesthetized?
A. V1
B. V2
C. V3
D. facial n.
E. vagus n.

Is it facial or V2

thank you pbkal. how abt the meissner's, ruffini'f n pacinian ? Anybody pls come forward
.Touch and pressure are sensed by free nerve endings located between epithelial cells, Meissner’s corpuscles and Pacinian corpuscles. Meissner’s corpuscles are located in hairless portions of skin (lips, finger tips, palms, soles, nipples, external genitals). They are small oval masses of flattened connective tissue that primarily sense light touch. .
.Pacinian corpuscles.. are located in deeper subcutaneous tissues of hands, feet,genitalia,urethra, breasts, tendons of muscles and ligaments of joints. They detect heavy pressure and vibration .. .

thank you pbkal, kash, raai n anniestar!

By which cycle the maximum number of FAD is produced?

hypokalemia
cigarette smoking
decreased thrombaxane

115 mg/ml
0.1mg/ml

Hypokalemia will cause bleeding...its given in decks...Plz check micropath disorders section...I think the answer could be smoking coz that alone doesn't cause bleeding until and unless it is associated with other conditions..Plz correct me if i am wrong..

Hi
anterior cerebral a. br of ICA
other br s of ica -ophthalmic a,middle cerebral a,post. communicating a and anterior choroidal a.

the circle of willis is made of:
Internal carotid artery branch of Common carotid artery
Anterior communicating artery branch of Internal Carotid
Posterior communicating artery branch of Internal carotid
Anterior cerebral artery ?
Posterior cerebral artery BRANCH OF Basilar artery

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, and help me to know the anterior cerebral artery is branch of what?

Hi
ant.cerebral a is br. of ICA

Which of the following therapeutic agents
are classed as broad-spectrum antibiotic​

a.Tetracycline.
b.Olloromycetin@
c.Dihydrostreptomycin
d.Penicillin
e.Isoniazid

.​
(a) and (b) only
a}, (b), (d) and (e)
a}, (c) and (e)
a}and (e) only
b), (c) and (d)​
.​
\c) and (d) only

All of the above

I would like to choose (a), (b) and (c) but it is not there in the answer choices. So, I will choose (a) and (b) only because for sure penicillin for G(+) and isoniazide for mycobacterium. The broad spectrum versions of penicillin derivatives are ampicillin and amoxil etc. Broadspecturm = active against many types of bacteria. Does not concern with bacteriostatic or bactericidal. Any suggestions?

Thank you Be +ve, smyle, mrswinidm!
By which cycle maximum number of FAD is produced?

I would like to choose (a), (b) and (c) but it is not there in the answer choices. So, I will choose (a) and (b) only because for sure penicillin for G(+) and isoniazide for mycobacterium. The broad spectrum versions of penicillin derivatives are ampicillin and amoxil etc. Broadspecturm = active against many types of bacteria. Does not concern with bacteriostatic or bactericidal. Any suggestions?

yes you r right.this was the aswer given but i was confused.thanks for explanation.

which of the following act directly on target cells but takes slow time
…Gh, prolactin,estrogen

uterine fibroid

physiological hypertrophy
'' '' '' hyperplasia
pathological hyperplasia
'' '' '' '' hypertrophy

…Gh, prolactin,estrogen

…Gh, prolactin,estrogen

uterine fibroid

'' '' '' hyperplasia
pathological hyperplasia

'' '' '' '' hypertrophy
1. prolactin,gh doesn't act on target organ.but in case prolactin suckling can only stimulate the action of this harmone..dats y i thought it as prolactin.
2.pathological hyperplasia.any cancerous condition will show hyperplasia.hypertrophy seen in pregnancy,dat z physiological..
correct me any thing wrong...

thanq

…Gh, prolactin,estrogen

uterine fibroid

'' '' '' hyperplasia
pathological hyperplasia

'' '' '' '' hypertrophy

1.I think the answer is estrogen since it involves a very slow and long time response.whereas both GH and prolactin act comparatively faster.plz correct me if i am wrong.

Which of the following laboratory results would be expected in a child with 2 standard deviations below the expected mean height, delayed bone maturation, goiter & a point mutation in thyroid hormone receptor?
a. decreased radioactive iodine uptake test
b. increase plasma T4 conc.
c. decrease plasma TSH conc.
d. increased BMR

The answer is b. I couldn't justify that i was thinking more of c. Can somebody explain me please.

thanks for answering...

.Which of the following features contributes to the water binding

properties of proteoglycan?

a.carboxyl group acting as a buffer

b.central hyaluronate trapping water within

c.space between the core protines and higher hyaluronate being higly charged

d. large number of alcohal group on the poly saccharide chaining

hydrogen bond to water

e. large number of serine and threonine residues in the core protein

offering H- bonding sites

from my understanding, the above mentioned condition is the Cretinism or hypothyroidism in the children. By Kaplan, the cretinism wud have the increased TSH secretion for the early detection (pg no 191 endo path), so answer wud not be the choice c. I think choice B is right. Correct me for the mistakes.

Which of the following laboratory results would be expected in a child with 2 standard deviations below the expected mean height, delayed bone maturation, goiter & a point mutation in thyroid hormone receptor?
a. decreased radioactive iodine uptake test
b. increase plasma T4 conc.
c. decrease plasma TSH conc.
d. increased BMR

The answer is b. I couldn't justify that i was thinking more of c. Can somebody explain me please.

The condition is cretinism as dentgod has explained.In this case there is decrease T4 so increase plasma TSH. BMR will be low since it is hypothyroidism.
Radioactive iodine uptake will be less whereas it will be increased in hyperthyroidism .But normally this test is not done in young children or pregnant women since there are side effects of damaging the thyroid cells.
So I feel the answer should be
a.decreased radioactive iodine uptake test