Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the sinus thats located below the sella turcica?

everything wud cause bleeding except?
increased systolic bld pressure
hypokalemia
cigarette smoking
decreased thrombaxane

if the pt is given the 115mg per ml of inulin, when the plasma concn of inulin is 0.1 mg/ml, whats the gfr?
115 mg/ml
0.1mg/ml

anybody pls state the ans with the explanation. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys for making my doubts clear... Very valid explanation.

Hey dentluv, the answer is b. - increase in plasma T4 conc.

Your point makes sense but if radioactive test is not performed on kids and preg. females then that cannot be the answer as they are asking for lab results. i think it would be b.

Last edited:
Which of the following laboratory results would be expected in a child with 2 standard deviations below the expected mean height, delayed bone maturation, goiter & a point mutation in thyroid hormone receptor?
a. decreased radioactive iodine uptake test
b. increase plasma T4 conc.
c. decrease plasma TSH conc.
d. increased BMR

The answer is b. I couldn't justify that i was thinking more of c. Can somebody explain me please.

since there is a mutation,the hormone receptor is defective and not responding properly to the thyroid hormone.this leads to an increase in T4 and when plasma T4 increases that will decrease TSH by negative feedback....not sure though..plz correct if wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for correcting me.

But still I don't get it. Isn't cretinism a form of hypothyroidism,ie,primary type?
If so according to Kaplan, in hypothyroidism there is increase of TSH & low levels of T4. Also Neonatal screening of elevated level of TSH are done for early detection of cretinism.I checked some other sources too.
In secondary & tertiary hypothyroidism there are low/normal levels of TSH.

My understanding could be wrong somehow.If someone can explain it,that would be great.

Also how does hypokalemia affect bleeding?What role does it have?:(

Thanks in advance !

Thanks for correcting me.

But still I don't get it. Isn't cretinism a form of hypothyroidism,ie,primary type?
If so according to Kaplan, in hypothyroidism there is increase of TSH & low levels of T4. Also Neonatal screening of elevated level of TSH are done for early detection of cretinism.I checked some other sources too.
In secondary & tertiary hypothyroidism there are low/normal levels of TSH.

My understanding could be wrong somehow.If someone can explain it,that would be great.

Thanks in advance !

Hi dentluv,
what i gathered from everyone (dentgod & smyle32)... this is a tricky one.
Initially, in hypothyoidism there is an increase in TSH which leads to increase in T4 and then the negative feedback mechanism comes in and TSH secretion is decreased.
Since in this case the there is mutation of thyroid receptors TSH would not respond to negative feedback loop and T4 levels would remain high leading to ******ed and stunted growth of the child.

I hope i have clarified your doubt.
Thanks everyone for helping.

I think its hyperkalemia that causes GI irritation and bleeding not hypokalemia.
feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

1.thyroid question ..my earlier explanation is wrong coz decrease in TSH is not happening..its one of the choices :oops:..
2.Potassium is known as antihemorrhagic factor..it is an important cofactor in the synthesis of prothrombin and other clotting factors plz check this..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prothrombin_time ,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coagulation .Also check decks physiology vitamins section. Anticogulant warfarin is a synthetic analog of vit K which competitively inhibit prothrombin formation.

Last edited:
1.thyroid question ..my earlier explanation is wrong coz decrease in TSH is not happening..its one of the choices :oops:..
2.Potassium is known as antihemorrhagic factor..it is an important cofactor in the synthesis of prothrombin and other clotting factors plz check this..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prothrombin_time ,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coagulation .Also check decks physiology vitamins section. Anticogulant warfarin is a synthetic analog of vit K which competitively inhibit prothrombin formation.

Hey Smyle32,

Thats what i wrote that TSH is not responding to negative feedback mechanism but you gave me enough resoning to think about.

Hey guys, what causes tetany in hyperventilation?
a) drop in total serum calciu
b) drop in ionized calcium
????

i've looked all over for this and seen various answers. i would think that total serum calcium doesn't actually change too much, and ionized calcium binds more readily to albumin in a state of alkalosis, so i was thinking (b), but i'm not sure.

Hi dentluv,
what i gathered from everyone (dentgod & smyle32)... this is a tricky one.
Initially, in hypothyoidism there is an increase in TSH which leads to increase in T4 and then the negative feedback mechanism comes in and TSH secretion is decreased.
Since in this case the there is mutation of thyroid receptors TSH would not respond to negative feedback loop and T4 levels would remain high leading to ******ed and stunted growth of the child.

I hope i have clarified your doubt.
Thanks everyone for helping.

Good one Kash! finally clarified.

Hi,
Can u elaborate a little more about potassium? I know about vit K in coagulation but i am not sure about potassium. Thanks guys.

sorry guys...i got confused with the vit K and potassium. :bang:..thankyou mrswinidm for mentioning that..as you said i can't find any relationship between potassium and bleeding..:(Also thank you Kash for the explanation..:thumbup:

Last edited:
hey smyle! happen to me all the time. that's why we'd like to discuss things and make ourselves clear before the exam. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Kash & others for ur explanations.

Ok,so now we know that potassium has no role in bleeding,so then what should the answer be for this previously asked question:
everything wud cause bleeding except?
increased systolic bld pressure
hypokalemia
cigarette smoking
decreased thrombaxane

I'd picked cigarette smoking as answer & had explained why.
What do u all think?
Thanks in advance again

hey dentluv,
I had the same question as you did n I picked up the hypokalemia. Since potassium had no connection with the bleeding. For your reference this question n explanations are in the first page of the same thread. thank you.

hey guys,

Can anyone tell which is the most keratinised papilla in tongue?

most numerous taste buds found on circumvallate or foliate?

thanks in advance

most keratinized and most numerous papillae are filiform .
circumvalate papillae are the largest
plz correct if wrong

Hey guys, what causes tetany in hyperventilation?
a) drop in total serum calciu
b) drop in ionized calcium
????

i've looked all over for this and seen various answers. i would think that total serum calcium doesn't actually change too much, and ionized calcium binds more readily to albumin in a state of alkalosis, so i was thinking (b), but i'm not sure.

U R RIGHT. Alkalinization of the plasma proteins (eg. albumin) increases calcium binding affinity, so reducing free ionized calcium levels.

most keratinized and most numerous papillae are filiform .
circumvalate papillae are the largest
plz correct if wrong

thanks for this but i still have a doubt with most numerous since i read from B.D chaurasia that it is circumvalate.not sure though.

thanks for this but i still have a doubt with most numerous since i read from B.D chaurasia that it is circumvalate.not sure though.
i checked it again from kaplan chap 14th anatomy on gastrointestinal anatomic sciences,also checked it from internet ,i'l suggest dont trust chaurasia so much better cross check info frm net if u hav doubts ,hope i cleard ur doubt .

Hi Enamelix,
The most numerous and keratinized papillae = Filliform
The biggest papillae and the one with most numerous taste buds= circumvallate

Last edited:
most numerous-filiform papillae
most keratized -filiform papillae
largest-circumvallate

. . definitely it is hypokalemia, as hypokalemia leads to mucular irritabilities and tetanus and has no role in the bleeding.
Smokers with the highest systolic blood pressure readings (150mm/Hg or greater) were 9.32 times more likely to suffer hemorrhagic stroke than smokers with the lowest readings (120mm/Hg or less). Nonsmokers with the highest systolic blood pressure readings were 7.05 times more likely to suffer hemorrhagic stroke than those with the lowest readings.

..The GFR can be determined by injecting inulin into the plasma. Since inulin is neither reabsorbed nor secreted by the kidney after glomerular filtration, its rate of excretion is directly proportional to the rate of filtration of water and solutes across the glomerular filter.
But I don't understand the question properly.
You have injected 115 ml but in plasma there is 0.1 mg means all the remainig 114.9 mg has cleared from glomerulus.So definitely the answer is not 0.1mg.
Please help with this question....

the answer should be 0.1mg/ml since clearly question tells you the concentration of inulin in plasma as 0.1 mg/ml. and gfr is equal to inulin conc in plasma as it is filtered only. Dont get confused with the 115 mg part. it is what is given but in plasma the measured conc per ml is 0.1.
the 115 mg gets disolved in blood and you dont know the blood volume. So it is 0.1 per ml after it gets disolved.

I am dead sure about it.

How did it go? How was the difficulty level?

Kash,
I did not do well but I felt the exam was decent. What I did not do well is not because of the questions were difficult. Most of the questions that I missed are straight forward questions that I should easily get them. I did not study enough and I took my chances in taking the exam ASAP. I am just praying for a decent score :xf: not a high score.

yeah u were absolutely right abt both the questions:thumbup:
can u plz help me out.i'm doing bds from india,can u plz tell me how can i take nbde test????
1) Sella turca is located in sphenoid bone and right below is sphenoidal sinus.
2) I think answer would be cigarrette smoking....correct me if i am wrong.
3) Inulin is used to calculate gfr...it is freely filtered by glomerulus therefore the plasma conc will be the gfr which is 0.1mg/ml.
rate of inulin cleared from plasma= gfr
Correct me if i am wrong....

U currently doin or finished your course. I think you can take the testin once you are graduated. Have to do all the paper work like ECE then apply for the testin to the ADA. And you are all set to take the testin. More feedbacks please.
yeah u were absolutely right abt both the questions:thumbup:
can u plz help me out.i'm doing bds from india,can u plz tell me how can i take nbde test????

most numerous, keratinized n no taste buds are the filiform.
most largest n few in number is the circumvallate supplied by the CN9
mushroom shaped, tip n sides of tongue, innervated in CN7- fungiform
foliate-lateral margins.

most numerous-filiform papillae
most keratized -filiform papillae
largest-circumvallate

hey mrswinidm,
how was your testin? can you navigate us with the areas tested n give a outline?

Hi Dentgod,
The test was fair and decent. Not that difficult but covering broad area. The ones that I cannot answer are the ones that I did not cover during my study. I only studied dental decks (primary) and first aid (did not do the whole book, mostly micro and biochem) and released papers 96,98,04 and 06 and web searches for doubts.Hope you got the idea. But I have a good basic knowledge in some areas like path.
I don't know how to give advice on which areas are tested because i feel that the test cover a very broad range. Old questions definitely helped in identifying catch points in the questions that I misunderstood.

Which of the following represents the complication of peptic ulcer disease that accounts for the majority of deaths?
a. bleeding
b. perforation
c. obstruction
d. Malignancy

the correct answer PERFORATION.... hope this helps...
first aid book...
thanks

thank you winidm.
Please post answer to these questions

net charge of glutamic acid at pH 1?
+2
+1

In posterior crossbite, which cusps wud contact in mediotrusive movement?
No choices are available.

In respect to its effect upon movement of water between vascular and extravascular space, plasma colloid osmotic pressure acts in the same direction as
tissue pressure
venous pressure
capillary pressure
arteriolar pressure
tissue colloid osmotic pressure
Please come forward n solve the questions. Thank you.

net charge of glutamic acid at pH 1?
+2
+1 below its isoelectric point, every protein has a net positive charge.

In posterior crossbite, which cusps wud contact in mediotrusive movement?
No choices are available. ? The outer surfaces (inclines) of the buccal cusps of maxillary molars and the inner surfaces(inclines) of the buccal cusps of mandibular molars

In respect to its effect upon movement of water between vascular and extravascular space, plasma colloid osmotic pressure acts in the same direction as
tissue pressure
venous pressure
capillary pressure
arteriolar pressure
tissue colloid osmotic pressure

thank you mrswinidm. By which cycle does the maximum number of FAD is produced? No options available.

HI guys , I have a question ,

in a double vertical fracture through the mental foramina , muscles action will cause the small fragment to move ?

1- inferiorly only
2-superiorly only
3-aneriroly and superoirly
4- POSTERIORLY AND INFERIORLY
5 posteriorly and superiroly .

can you explain why posteriorly and inferiorly which muscles are involved?

HI guys , I have a question ,

in a double vertical fracture through the mental foramina , muscles action will cause the small fragment to move ?

1- inferiorly only
2-superiorly only
3-aneriroly and superoirly
4- POSTERIORLY AND INFERIORLY
5 posteriorly and superiroly .

can you explain why posteriorly and inferiorly which muscles are involved?

Ginoglossus and digrastic muscles

each of the following supplies edentulous mandible except
inferior alveloar
facial nerve
lingual nerve
mylohyoid

receptor for thyroid and steroid hormones is present in
cell membrane
nuclear membrane
cell nucleus
cytoplasm

canine has oval shaped root canal , in which area will it be larger labiolingually -

.mid section of root
middle area of crown
cervical area of crown

inferior alveloar ans
facial nerve
lingual nerve
mylohyoid

cell membrane
nuclear membrane
cell nucleus
cytoplasm ans

canine has oval shaped root canal , in which area will it be larger labiolingually -

.mid section of root ans
middle area of crown
cervical area of crown
pls correct if the answers are wrong

inferior alveloar-Answer
facial nerve
lingual nerve
mylohyoid

cell membrane
nuclear membrane
cell nucleus-answer
cytoplasm

.mid section of root-Answer
middle area of crown
cervical area of crown

feel free to correct me

cell membrane - Answer
nuclear membrane
cell nucleus
cytoplasm

[/QUOTE]

cell membrane - Answer
nuclear membrane
cell nucleus
cytoplasm
[/QUOTE]
i'm not sure if cell membrane is the correct answer but this is wat i found out in usmle physio road map frm chapter on endocrinology.
lipid soluble hormones {ie steroids and thyroid hormones}cross the plasma and nuclear membranes of their target cells readily and attach to receptors on the nuclear chromatin.
so according to this explanation th answer should be cell nucleus ............plz correct if wrong

which nerve is hypoexcitable..
a,negative after potential
b.positive after potential
could som one plz ans this...

thank you pbkal! can you explain the answer, it seems to be a wonderful question, i wish i had the explanation.