queston about gettin in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the way people talk on this forum it seems as though your step 1 score can take you anywhere as long as it is high enough. I just finished the first rotation (peds) of my third year and didn't get a great evaluation (my one attending trashed me). I know I could probably do better, I was mostly bored and tired during this rotation and telling everybody that I had no interest in peds and wanted to do anesthesia probably didn't help. My step 1 score was 230, I have multiple publications in a non-anesthesia field and was enrolled in a master's program for pharmacology (never finished) prior to med school. My question is, can I just cruise through third year getting average evaluations and still get in somewhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a C in peds (one very, very malignant attending) and a 229 step 1 and I got a spot at Columbia. The rest of my 3rd year grades were B. I don't know the rest of your app, but I would encourage you to apply.

Regardless of what field you want to do, please don't just "cruise through" the rest of your medical student career. You will build bad/lazy habits that are hard to just turn off once you are in residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe that came across the wrong way. I don't do anything half-assed, I had a 45 minute longer drive to my inpatient site than any of the other students and still got there almost 45 minutes earlier than most of the other students. I carried more patients than most of the other students, did more reading than most of the other students and prepared harder and better for the weekly case discussions than most of the other students and still got a ****ty evaluation. Maybe I should of got there later and took on less patients, I would of been a lot sharper presenting. Or maybe I should play off my type B personality and pretend to be a bubbly type A so I "appear" enthused. I'm just being pessimistic and anticipating that this could possibly be a trend for me for the rest of the year. Probably not, but you know what they say "prepare for the worst, hope for the best"

I am curious, DMZ, do you happen to attend the same school I do?

I ran into almost your exact situation. Had good Step 1 scores, did pretty well most of third year, got f*cking destroyed by my Peds Outpatient attending, who was very malignant and didn't teach at all. It's an outlier, for sure, but still an eye sore, especially my comments. My Peds Inpatient month made me look like a rock star-- good with family and kids, very knowledgable, hard-working-- then the next month, on Peds ER, I am considered lazy, unwilling to learn, very, very bad and horrible with kids and family, jesus christ on crack!!!

I ask about your med school, but this very situation has stung several of my classmates, not only this year, but in years past. We are just known for having a malignant 3rd year Peds rotation.

Still, if it makes you feel better, DMZ, I talked with my mentor and he said this would not be an issue in applying/getting in to Anesthesia programs, especially if it is only one rotation grade.

misfit