Quick Advice on timing of my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themanthemyththelegend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I am trying to figure out the best route for me in this application process and would love some advice....

My current situation: sGPA: 3.42 cGPA: 3.58 (good upward trend though)Post Bacc GPA: 3.67 MCAT 507 (123 CARS bombed the score)

I am signed up to retake the on July 9th.... I took it in January and still have all of my notes and what not. I am confident that I will be able to pick it back up quickly and hopefully score higher as long as I can fix my CARS score....I am done with classes this next week so will have about two months to prepare for the retake.

I have two more classes that I need to take in my post-bacc which I am going to complete this summer. Right now I was planning on taking these classes in summer session 1, which runs 5 weeks from the end of May to the end of June. My reasoning for taking these was to take them so that I could submit my primary application with my full post-bacc grades and have the affect on my AMCAS GPA with my summer classes (assuming 2 A's). My GPA will move to: sGPA 3.46 cGPA: 3.6 and Post bacc 3.75.

Since the effect on my GPA is sort of minimum, I am thinking about taking these classes in summer session II, therefore I can focus all of my energy to the MCAT. I will not be able to submit these onto my primary application, but will be able to submit it earlier and get it verified. I feel like since I am applying with a lower GPA, the MCAT is going to be the most important part of my app, not slight increase in GPA. If I choose this route, I could send update letters to schools with my new post-bacc GPA, my updated AMCAS GPA, and new work/volunteer opportunities I am partaking in.

Any advice on what I should do? I can bust my butt and take the 2 classes with the MCAT, but I am not sure if it would be worth it. What do you think the pros/cons of each are? I have heard sending some update letters are helpful and it would be nice to update them with my completed post-bacc GPA and other stuff.

Quick Summary: Take two summer classes while studying for the MCAT or wait to take them after MCAT. minimal GPA difference but will be able to submit primary with completed grades. Pro of waiting is sending a good ol update letter and having all of the time to focus to MCAT.
Thanks =D

Members don't see this ad.

With a minimum GPA, an incomplete postbacc, a late MCAT retake, my advice is not to apply this cycle.

I thought about it but I am ready to apply in every other way (EC's, letters, etc)....
Do the two classes on the Post-Bac really matter that much? I could have my primary submitted as soon as it opens and my new MCAT score will be updated before schools start reviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump... I would really appreciate some more advice if anyone has been in a similar situation... Thanks =D

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is best to sit out this cycle. You want to do it once, and you want to do it right.

I just think you are kind of borderline. Completion of the post-bacc would be impressive, not simply the grades/GPA (which assumes A's). Additionally, applicants grossly underestimate the time needed to do highly polished work on AMCAS and you will doing it while trying to get A's in compressed summer courses while prepping for an MCAT retake. You are trying to balance 3 highly time critical, resource intensive, crucial actions, which a poor performance in any single one could easily make you rejected by an adcom and put you in a weaker position as a reapplicant next cycle. Most applicants do not analyze the risks of such action. You need to reduce or mitigate these risks. The only resource you have to spend is time as in delaying the cycle. Ask any of the SDN readers the worth of my advice in this kind of situation.

I really do appreciate your advice.... There is a school in my state where my stats are competitive (I reached out to admissions).... Would it be worth it to apply to only one school? If I don't get in I can work on everything else (a little GPA repair/MCAT retake) throughout the year and apply again broadly? Therefore I would only be a reapplicant at one school

With a minimum GPA, an incomplete postbacc, a late MCAT retake, my advice is not to apply this cycle.

July 9th is late?! I thought being complete early August was still good…

July 9th is late?! I thought being complete early August was still good…
Complete means secondary submitted. If you submit AMCAS on 7/9 then you will begin getting secondaries early August after AMCAS and schools verify your app.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Complete means secondary submitted. If you submit AMCAS on 7/9 then you will begin getting secondaries early August after AMCAS and schools verify your app.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

No, I know that submitting AMCAS in July is late. But I meant, what if an applicant who has submitted their primary early June needs to retake in July? This means being complete in August. Is that too late? I assumed OP was talking about retaking after having submitted AMCAS and all.

You are missing the point of this thread to the OP which is not the submission date. July, by itself , is not too late to take an MCAT and submit,
However the issue is workload and time to all the proposed following

Trying to prep for an MCAT
AND
taking two summer courses
AND
writing a great AMCAS EC/PS and other parts of the application
AND
pre-writing secondaries
THEN ADD
submitting late
WITHOUT
having a post-bacc completed
ALL WHILE
having a below par GPA

If an applicant just had an MCAT July with AMCAS along side, that is reasonable. And let me be very clear here with everyone, I dont try to talk people out applying now to somehow prevent their dreams. I do so to help them make their dreams become a reality. This OP could be a really good candidate IF, IF, IF he/she takes the time to make it so.
(yes that is the proverbial big if)

I really value your opinion and I know it is pretty spot on. Again, 100% agree with your point and I do think waiting this cycle out will make me a stronger applicant. It is just so hard to tell myself that when I want to get this ball rolling... but I guess starting medical school at 26 compared to 25 is not that big of a deal

You are missing the point of this thread to the OP which is not the submission date. July, by itself , is not too late to take an MCAT and submit,
However the issue is workload and time to all the proposed following

Trying to prep for an MCAT
AND
taking two summer courses
AND
writing a great AMCAS EC/PS and other parts of the application
AND
pre-writing secondaries
THEN ADD
submitting late
WITHOUT
having a post-bacc completed
ALL WHILE
having a below par GPA

If an applicant just had an MCAT July with AMCAS along side, that is reasonable. And let me be very clear here with everyone, I dont try to talk people out applying now to somehow prevent their dreams. I do so to help them make their dreams become a reality. This OP could be a really good candidate IF, IF, IF he/she takes the time to make it so.
(yes that is the proverbial big if)

Also, can schools see how long ago I applied as a reapplicant?

wrong questipn: is it better to start medical school at age 26 or to never get in at all

a recent past president of the board of trustees didnt start medical school until age 35 and i think she did pretty well

From an admissions committee perspective.... What is the thought process when evaluating reapplicants?

Do you just look for the areas they were weak at before and what they did to improve on this?

For instance, if someone was a strong candidate in all areas but had a lower MCAT score..... Applied and did not get an admission... retook the MCAT and scored much more competitively.... how is that put him at disadvantage because he addressed the problem with his application?

Is it more of a judgement thing where the applicant should have known to not apply?

This sounds like a classic case of someone coming on here not really asking for advice, simply looking for others to tell them what they are doing is right and not knowing how to react when they hear the opposite.

Here's what this comes down to:

1) Your academics are below average. The GPA isnt that concerning particularly with a good grade trend but it's still below average and makes it imperative to do well on the MCAT.

2) As for the MCAT you already arent in a great spot. You have one score that is already below average for MD schools with a low CARs score. Many evaluators will average multiple MCAT scores which makes it harder for you to truly improve in this area(ie retake to a 515 and really many might look it at as more of a 511). Even those that dont wont look at someone who needs 2 attempts to get X score as someone who only needed one. So while yes I would retake here, it becomes much more imperative to really put in all the time you can to do as well as possible on an MCAT retake because your second score regardless of what it is wont be looked at the same as someone who got that score on only one attempt. Historically only 30% of people with your score who retake make the type of improvement that is needed for it to truly help you and for many they hurt themselves by scoring the same or worse.

3) Update letters in general have very little to no value and they really arent going to change how you are viewed academically. You will be judged almost entirely from an academic stand point by what you present at the time your application is submitted.

Below average academics isnt a deal breaker in and of itself by any means but you should do what you can to make them as strong as possible. That means spend all the time you can for an MCAT retake and more post-bacc courses potentially.

Much more importantly than this though is when your academics are average-below average it means you have to compensate elsewhere. You are competing with a very large group of applicants now so not only do you have to do all you can to try and compensate and stand out in another way such as enhancing ECs, it also means not making things harder on yourself needlessly. That means giving yourself all the time and effort to enhance your ECs. That means not applying with a later rushed app with a late MCAT score etc. All these things add up and become greater obstacles to overcome. Dont be self destructive and create more obstacles for yourself. Included in this list of obstacles would becoming a re-applicant for reasons gonnif largely stated who are at a level of disadvantage in many cases.

Bottom line is it doesnt sound like a good idea to apply this cycle unless there is some major variable you have left out(ie URM, military vet etc).

This sounds like a classic case of someone coming on here not really asking for advice, simply looking for others to tell them what they are doing is right and not knowing how to react when they hear the opposite.

Here's what this comes down to:

1) Your academics are below average. The GPA isnt that concerning particularly with a good grade trend but it's still below average and makes it imperative to do well on the MCAT.

2) As for the MCAT you already arent in a great spot. You have one score that is already below average for MD schools with a low CARs score. Many evaluators will average multiple MCAT scores which makes it harder for you to truly improve in this area(ie retake to a 515 and really many might look it at as more of a 511). Even those that dont wont look at someone who needs 2 attempts to get X score as someone who only needed one. So while yes I would retake here, it becomes much more imperative to really put in all the time you can to do as well as possible on an MCAT retake because your second score regardless of what it is wont be looked at the same as someone who got that score on only one attempt. Historically only 30% of people with your score who retake make the type of improvement that is needed for it to truly help you and for many they hurt themselves by scoring the same or worse.

3) Update letters in general have very little to no value and they really arent going to change how you are viewed academically. You will be judged almost entirely from an academic stand point by what you present at the time your application is submitted.

Below average academics isnt a deal breaker in and of itself by any means but you should do what you can to make them as strong as possible. That means spend all the time you can for an MCAT retake and more post-bacc courses potentially.

Much more importantly than this though is when your academics are average-below average it means you have to compensate elsewhere. You are competing with a very large group of applicants now so not only do you have to do all you can to try and compensate and stand out in another way such as enhancing ECs, it also means not making things harder on yourself needlessly. That means giving yourself all the time and effort to enhance your ECs. That means not applying with a later rushed app with a late MCAT score etc. All these things add up and become greater obstacles to overcome. Dont be self destructive and create more obstacles for yourself. Included in this list of obstacles would becoming a re-applicant for reasons gonnif largely stated who are at a level of disadvantage in many cases.

Bottom line is it doesnt sound like a good idea to apply this cycle unless there is some major variable you have left out(ie URM, military vet etc).

I want to clarify that the top part of your post is inaccurate: I am looking for advice; not someone here trying to get a pat on the back and be told that everything I am doing is great.
I am not looking for reassurance, I am looking to educate myself on the process so that I can do it right and ultimately have a successful matriculation into medical school.
I have posted a WAMC thread and some of the feedback I got (because of my state of residence) from adcoms was to apply this cycle as is without the MCAT retake and see how it goes... If I do not get in, retake it and apply again next cycle.

I do understand that waiting and building a stronger application is only a benefit to myself. I wanted to consider all options and educate myself so that I am fully aware.
I reached out to the admissions committee of the state school I want to attend and they told me I would be a competitive applicant as an early decision applicant. I understand this is probably not the smartest route to go (as talked about on 1000's of threads on here) and sitting out would be wise but again as I said I just wanted to look at all my options and learn more about the process.

I do appreciate your advice @GrapesofRath as well as @gonnif