Quick Algebra Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please show the step between these two equations.

m(+2)=m(v)+2m(+4/3)

2m= 8/3m + m(v)

Members don't see this ad.

The m doesn't magically move to the denominator unless you meant to write (8/3)m, otherwise I would put (8m)/3

that's what I meant, though I am slightly confused by OP's original question, if you could clarify your problem, we can help you.

Can someone please show the step between these two equations.

m(+2)=m(v)+2m(+4/3)

2m= 8/3m + m(v)

I'm interpreting the first line there as "m times the number positive two is equal to m times the variable v plus two m times the quantity four-thirds".

If that's what you mean to write, I'd write that first line as:

2m = mv + (2m)(4/3)

You can re-express 2m as the quantity (2m/1) since dividing by one doesn't change the value at all:

2m = mv + (2m/1)(4/3)

Now you've got a fraction times a fraction as the second part of the equation there. Remember to multiply straight across with a fraction (for example, [5/7][3/2] = [5*3] / [7*2] = 15/14)

So the equation becomes:

2m = mv + (2m * 4) / (1 * 3)
2m = mv + 8m/3

Then addition is commutative - so A+B = B+A - so you can rewrite the equation as:

2m = 8m/3 + mv

Which is basically what you've got written as your final step, although to clarify it should probably be written as 2m = (8/3)m + m(v)

I hope this helps, and sorry if it's overly simple - I'm not trying to be condescending I'm just trying to understand your question as best I can and to explain it.