Quick Cell respiration question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiomajorPreDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question came off of topscore..now I think this is a poorly worded question and Id like your opinions

In glucose degradation, which of the following is true?

1. Oxygen is the final acceptor of electrons
2. Water is the final acceptor of electrons
3. Oxygen is not necessary for ATP synthesis
4. Water is not produced

A: 1 and 2
B: 1 and 3
C: 3 and 4
D: 3 only
E: 4 only

Now I read this as a question asking about glycolysis only = glucose (glyco) degradation (lysis)

I picked D, 3 only, because oxygen is not necessary for ATP production in glycolysis

Now the answer says it is B, 1 and 3.. because:

"cellular respiration is a cumulative function of glycolysis, the krebs cycle, and electron transport. during oxidative phosphorylation redox reactions transfer electrons from food to oxygen (as the final acceptor of electrons) As well, the electron transport chain is combining hydrogen ions and molecular oxygen to form water"

Now, I am aware that oxygen is the final electron acceptor, but this question seems to be only asking about glycolysis..not all of respiration

Can someone shed light on this? Because I am worried about getting poorly worded questions like this on the real thing....

Members don't see this ad.

the question should have been worded better, but i would assume glucose degradation to mean complete degradation of glucose to harvest as much energy as possible. this would include TCA and ETC. Usually when they mean glycolysis alone, they tend to specify that. The book explanation explains the rest.

the question should have been worded better, but i would assume glucose degradation to mean complete degradation of glucose to harvest as much energy as possible. this would include TCA and ETC. Usually when they mean glycolysis alone, they tend to specify that. The book explanation explains the rest.

agree, i would say they mean glucose degradation = cellular respiration. They could have just said that but theyre just being confusing. :mad:

I think it is poorly worded or simply a trick question, O is the final e- acceptor for aerobic respiration, then I would automatically assume that oxygen IS necessary for more ATP synthesis, as it would free up the NAD+ right? so I was looking for "1 only" answer, I guess the trick is to remember that for a brief moment (before you die w/out O) glucose can be degraded in anaerobic respiration, am I correct? so the trick is to know that it would switch to anaerobic respiration making the answer B?

This question came off of topscore..now I think this is a poorly worded question and Id like your opinions

In glucose degradation, which of the following is true?

1. Oxygen is the final acceptor of electrons
2. Water is the final acceptor of electrons
3. Oxygen is not necessary for ATP synthesis
4. Water is not produced

A: 1 and 2
B: 1 and 3
C: 3 and 4
D: 3 only
E: 4 only

Now I read this as a question asking about glycolysis only = glucose (glyco) degradation (lysis)

I picked D, 3 only, because oxygen is not necessary for ATP production in glycolysis

Now the answer says it is B, 1 and 3.. because:

"cellular respiration is a cumulative function of glycolysis, the krebs cycle, and electron transport. during oxidative phosphorylation redox reactions transfer electrons from food to oxygen (as the final acceptor of electrons) As well, the electron transport chain is combining hydrogen ions and molecular oxygen to form water"

Now, I am aware that oxygen is the final electron acceptor, but this question seems to be only asking about glycolysis..not all of respiration

Can someone shed light on this? Because I am worried about getting poorly worded questions like this on the real thing....

You won't get poorly worded questions like this. Stop worrying!